Battle For Tyria

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

albert-einstein

Battle For Tyria

Post by albert-einstein »

*Note* If I have put this in the wrong part of the forums please tell me - I'm new here :P

Hello everyone!

I recently got Wesnoth (just one month before the steam release in fact) and I am really enjoying it! So I thought it would be a good idea to try and make an add-on and so I decided to combine my favorite game - Guild Wars 2 - and this one in a multiplayer era. With no prior modding experience whatsoever I am pretty pleased to be honest with how it is turning out. :P Currently I only have the quaggans as a race but I plan to add more and hopefully it can grow into something really cool.

Currently the add-on works in 1.12.0 but images do not appear properly in the 1.14.0 version (everything is invisible.) If anyone could tell me how to potentially fix this that would be really helpful. Also, anyone else who is willing to help and is possibly also a fan of guild wars PLEASE do. XD It is going mostly okay but I am terrible at art and animation so currently everything is using a standard quaggan image I found on the internet. Also, I am sure balance is wonky and I am doing tons of other things wrong.

Anyway just made this to tell people about the add-on and hopefully convince some poor stranger to aid me in the stupidly large goal of recreating Tyria in Wesnoth. :P Sooo yeh - end of forum post?
albert-einstein

Re: Battle For Tyria

Also, could anyone tell me how to link to this forum page in the add-on description? Because that would be cool.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Welcome, although sorry, one of the no-nos for the add-ons server is not to copy other game's content. It's rule 2 of https://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24320

To answer your second post, the links from the add-on server's list to the forums are done with the [feedback] tag, PblWML#.5Bfeedback.5D.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(oh, I see octalot beat me :oops: )

Wow, the great Albert Einstein himself has graced our forums ;) Welcome!

Unfortunately copyrighted stuff isn't allowed on the add-on server, so while you could make an add-on inspired by Guild Wars, you'd have to change the names and images which probably means making your own art. (I'm sure the people over on the art forum would be happy to help with advice and feedback on making pixel art.)

The reason the images aren't showing up is that the file names are case sensitive.
albert-einstein wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 8:28 pm Also, could anyone tell me how to link to this forum page in the add-on description?
That's specified in the server.pbl file of your add-on, like this:

Code: Select all

[feedback]
	topic_id=(topic number from the url)
[/feedback]
albert-einstein

Inky wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 8:46 pm (oh, I see octalot beat me :oops: )

Wow, the great Albert Einstein himself has graced our forums ;) Welcome!

Unfortunately copyrighted stuff isn't allowed on the add-on server, so while you could make an add-on inspired by Guild Wars, you'd have to change the names and images which probably means making your own art. (I'm sure the people over on the art forum would be happy to help with advice and feedback on making pixel art.)
Oh Ok that is a bit disappointing. I will remove the add-on as soon as anyone tells me how to :P. Does this rule just prevent the distribution of it or can I not work on it at all? - For example, could I use it without publishing to the add on server? What about sharing it with my friends?
albert-einstein

octalot wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 8:42 pm Welcome, although sorry, one of the no-nos for the add-ons server is not to copy other game's content. It's rule 2 of https://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24320

Oh ok. I will try to remove it as soon as I find out how XD. However, does this mean I cannot work on it at all or can it just not be shared on the add-on server? What about sharing it with my friends to play in multiplayer?
albert-einstein

Also, is there a reason for this, like due to the license this game uses? Because there are tons of mods you can get for other games which involve things like star wars or other copyrighted content. That's why I thought it would be fine.
albert-einstein

Oh never mind. Just realized it has already been taken down. XD Oh well
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Please try to avoid double posting. You can edit your previous posts, if there is something small to add.

albert-einstein wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 6:27 amOh ok. I will try to remove it as soon as I find out how XD. However, does this mean I cannot work on it at all or can it just not be shared on the add-on server? What about sharing it with my friends to play in multiplayer?
We are responsible for the content of our addon servers, so what you do in private is none of your business.
;)
albert-einstein

Ok cool! Thank you for replying and I will try to avoid double posting from now on. :)