[DONE] Request for Trailers (1.13/1.14)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sadaharu

Re: Request for Trailers (1.13/1.14)

Post by Sadaharu »

Kasdel wrote: April 25th, 2018, 7:16 pm
Sadaharu wrote: April 15th, 2018, 4:36 pm
Kasdel wrote: April 14th, 2018, 11:35 pm(The font I used is the one on the Wesnoth logo, Oldania. I might replace it with another one if it looks better, so if anyone has any suggestion, post it and I'll look into it. It looks nice right now, I'm preferring it to other more common serif fonts. I tinkered with sans-serif fonts, and while they can be beautiful, they don't suit the fantasy feel of Wesnoth as well.)
Hi! I've been working on a font in some of my spare time. The Latin character set is more or less done… I think this is the correct link for the preview. If you want to use it I still have the .svg files for this and the numbers set (and Cyrillic characters, too - I've yet to do the Greek letters) available.
Wow, nice work! Creating a font is definitely not easy. I've settled for Oldania, though, I'm quite liking how it looks now, but thanks anyway :)
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, it's a lot of drudgery and hard work. But it's rewarding.

The font remains available for you or anybody else who wants to use it (and, since daily users of the Cyrillic alphabet have said they like it, I guess I'll just have to finish the Greek character set, then all the punctuation, etc.).
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

The_Gnat wrote: April 26th, 2018, 1:03 am If you have trouble with images being blurry try displaying them at their original size. For example Mage red female exactly 390x390.

(But of course it doesn't really matter too much)
If we want a professional-looking trailer, is does matter.
The_Gnat wrote: April 26th, 2018, 1:03 amI really look forward to seeing the video!!
Me too - cutting a trailer takes a long time, so thanks for doing this! :)
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

I fixed the portraits issue! Figured out a way to resize them while keeping the detail more or less intact with AI-based image scaling with neural networks. Looks much better now :D (replaced the Red Mage with the Mage of Light since it looked better after resizing.)
Attachments
still.png
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Oh, that's definitely an improvement on the armoured man.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes, that is very good resolution!
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

OTOH, now that I think of it, I prefer the Red Mage to the White Mage. It doesn't hurt to lure in potential new gamers by promising them fireballs, and that mace looks wimpy.
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

Sadaharu wrote: April 27th, 2018, 5:43 am It doesn't hurt to lure in potential new gamers by promising them fireballs
That... actually makes sense :lol:
The portrait by itself doesn't really indicate "fireballs", but it gives off a more magical feel than the Mage of Light's.

Also... the trailer is finished! All that's left is to export and upload. I'll still be able to change it according to feedback, of course.

EDIT: It is here!

(The quality is not the best possible, but it will be on the definitive version of the trailer.)
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Thank you very much to work on the trailer!
It is already pretty good (better than the 1.12 trailer, imo). The units show off is in 0:06 to 0:11 is amazing. I was almost sad that just two animations where shown there. ;P
Though, there were a few things that kicked me off a little. At 0:29-0:30, there is a noticable cut in the soundtrack. Maybe it is because I know the track quite well by now, but it really irritated me.
Second thing is.. when presenting the factions, you show gameplay, the name and two portraits. I didn't really know where to watch, to be honest. If I wanted to focus on gameplay, the portraits and the text kinda cover the majority of the field. I'd suggest to move the faction names to the bottom, that would be less ...jumpy for the eye, I guess.
Parallax story images near the end are cool as well. :)
The rest, I think, is good as it is!

EDIT: One more thing, I think it would be neat to set the cuts synced to the tact of the soundtrack. :O
EDIT2: Oh, you actually did that.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

A couple comments:
  • It looks like the in-game recruiting/combat starting from 0:11-0:25 is sped up, which feels a little weird.
  • It feels like it cuts between scenes pretty suddenly, for the part showing the factions in particular.
Overall though, I like it a lot, and it's definitely far better than using the 1.12 trailer for the Steam page for 1.14 as the plan is otherwise.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Awesome trailer! If I may, here are a few minor suggestions:
  • at 0:24 much attention is given to the defending Naffat/Burner, which looks strange because it does not have an attack animation or defending animation. If you want a Dunefolk unit, better to use a melee unit that looks like it is just defending, e.g. Blademaster/Warmaster
  • at 0:27 much attention is given to the movement of a Cavalier, which has no movement animation. better to use a Horseman there. (P.S. leadership animation also might be a nice thing to include for Loyalists.)
  • at 1:04 the Dunefolk unit is one that has a raised spear, so the sliding attack animation is not that convincing. maybe use Cataphract instead.
  • the three storyboards for "Cross-Platform" at the end seemed kind of random; maybe just one or two would have been better.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome I love the video! You have done such a good job!

I do agree though that the faction names mask the game play and that the cross platform part feels odd. Perhaps put more focus on the cross platform text. Maybe centre it in the screen and grey the background slightly to give it more attention than the images behind.

Edit: also in the 'many factions to master' part I think the elvish captain should be replaced with a different elf because the lighting in his portrait doesn't fit very well with the others. Particularly when standing next to the skeleton.

Overall excellent work!
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments and detailed feedback :)
Bitron wrote: April 27th, 2018, 4:27 pmAt 0:29-0:30, there is a noticable cut in the soundtrack. Maybe it is because I know the track quite well by now, but it really irritated me.
I played around with using the track without cuts, and it didn't quite reach the epic heights needed to complement the gameplay.
Is the cut that noticeable? At least to me, it sounds seamless. That's what I tried to do.
Bitron wrote: April 27th, 2018, 4:27 pmYou show gameplay, the name and two portraits. I didn't really know where to watch, to be honest. If I wanted to focus on gameplay, the portraits and the text kinda cover the majority of the field. I'd suggest to move the faction names to the bottom, that would be less ...jumpy for the eye, I guess.
Noted.
Pentarctagon wrote: April 27th, 2018, 4:46 pm
  • It looks like the in-game recruiting/combat starting from 0:11-0:25 is sped up, which feels a little weird.
  • It feels like it cuts between scenes pretty suddenly, for the part showing the factions in particular.
It is sped up. I'll replace it, I can understand why it could a bit disorienting.
The faction showcase is actually the part of the trailer where the individual scenes last longer, I even thought they could be too long. If I extended their duration, the trailer would probably last too much time for the attention-span of many potential players who need to get to know as much of the game as possible in one and a half minutes. That's why a lot of scenes jump around quickly. I'll see what I can do to fix that.
Sapient wrote: April 27th, 2018, 7:22 pm
  • at 0:24 much attention is given to the defending Naffat/Burner, which looks strange because it does not have an attack animation or defending animation. If you want a Dunefolk unit, better to use a melee unit that looks like it is just defending, e.g. Blademaster/Warmaster
  • at 0:27 much attention is given to the movement of a Cavalier, which has no movement animation. better to use a Horseman there. (P.S. leadership animation also might be a nice thing to include for Loyalists.)
  • at 1:04 the Dunefolk unit is one that has a raised spear, so the sliding attack animation is not that convincing. maybe use Cataphract instead.
  • the three storyboards for "Cross-Platform" at the end seemed kind of random; maybe just one or two would have been better.
All valid concerns. I'll be taking that into account.
The_Gnat wrote: April 27th, 2018, 8:23 pmIn the 'many factions to master' part I think the elvish captain should be replaced with a different elf because the lighting in his portrait doesn't fit very well with the others. Particularly when standing next to the skeleton.
Yeah, I noticed that. Most of the elven portraits have a different lighting from the others, though. The sorceress and the sylph are probably the ones where it is less jarring.
I'll change it in the next iteration. The wose portraits are the most similar to the others, I'll see if I can make those work if the other options don't.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Kasdel wrote: April 27th, 2018, 9:05 pm The faction showcase is actually the part of the trailer where the individual scenes last longer, I even thought they could be too long. If I extended their duration, the trailer would probably last too much time for the attention-span of many potential players who need to get to know as much of the game as possible in one and a half minutes. That's why a lot of scenes jump around quickly. I'll see what I can do to fix that.
Instead of using a different match for each faction, you could take a match and show the name+portrait overlay of both factions.
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

Good idea. I'll see what I can do.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Just want to say that this looks great, Kasdel. The issues I noticed have already been pointed out, I look forward to your next revision.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects