Feedback on forum registration

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

carpii

Feedback on forum registration

Post by carpii »

Hi,

Just tried to register for a forum account to report a potential bug, but registration requires a Wesnoth related security question to be answered.
These questions are SO difficult (unless you are already a Wesnoth veteran).

Here's the questions I was presented with..

What is the English name of the only mainline campaign featuring desert elves?:
Googling suggested it could have been any one of three...

> An Orcsh Incursion (I entered this, was wrong)
> Legend of Wesmere
> Under the Burning Suns

What is the name of the item engraved on the shield featured in the Wesnoth logo?
> No idea and couldn't find it from google either. Just resubmitted for a different question

What is the name of the protagonist of the Heir to the Throne campaign?
> Seems like it could have been either Konrad or Delfador? Luckily I guessed Konrad

I understand you want to prevent spam bots from joining, but surely they could be made a bit easier and still achieve the same effect (unless you only want veterans to join, which I'm sure isn't the case)

Hopefully a bit of constructive feedback, even though it might sound like a gripe

Thanks
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Feedback on forum registration

Post by gfgtdf »

ye i fully agree here when i have to make a forum account i usually skip all the questions until i get the one with Konrad.

More importantly the current procedure blocks everyone that cannot speak english from using the mp server, currently this might not be hat much of a problem since afaik the server still does not have things like language indpendent comminication anyways (i thought we had an isue for that on our tracker but i coundn't find one..) but eventually our aim should be to make wesnoth available to all people not just the english speaking ones.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I didn't know we don't allow prospective players to create a Forum account. It's been a while: does the account creation page warn people that we only want them if they already play?
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Tad_Carlucci wrote: April 24th, 2018, 11:53 pm I didn't know we don't allow prospective players to create a Forum account. It's been a while: does the account creation page warn people that we only want them if they already play?
I’m working on it later, sheesh. It’s almost like the people with the red names aren’t part of the team and don’t know how to contact me or Pentarctagon directly.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Less than 5 hours later...

Screenshot_20180425_000319.png
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
carpii

Post by carpii »

awesome job, thanks 👏🏻
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

shadowm wrote: April 25th, 2018, 3:05 am Less than 5 hours later...

Great!! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

carpii wrote: April 24th, 2018, 10:03 pm Hi,

Just tried to register for a forum account to report a potential bug, but registration requires a Wesnoth related security question to be answered.
These questions are SO difficult (unless you are already a Wesnoth veteran).

What is the name of the item engraved on the shield featured in the Wesnoth logo?
> No idea and couldn't find it from google either. Just resubmitted for a different question
By the way the symbol on the shield is The Scepter of Fire. :) It appears in multiple campaigns and is very powerful!
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Thanks, shadowm!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Congrats on the quick fix! Great job.
The_Gnat wrote: April 25th, 2018, 7:03 am By the way the symbol on the shield is The Scepter of Fire. :) It appears in multiple campaigns and is very powerful!
"Sceptre" ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Sapient wrote: April 25th, 2018, 9:01 am "Sceptre" ;)
:lol: ;) It is too bad that English is the most widely recognized language for many purposes. (unfortunately, no matter how we spell it is always going to be a confusing language without any reasonable logic behind it.)