Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BTIsaac

Re: Genesis 0.1.9 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by BTIsaac »

I'm working on a sketch of that illusory angel right now. I figured I'd go for something really disturbing, primarily influenced by those warped funhouse mirrors. Hopefully i can pull it off. I also figured making alternate variants where it shows distorted reflections of Yumi and Aryel, or at the very least reflects their respective color schemes, that can be used when it's talking to them directly, would that be any good?
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

BTIsaac wrote: April 21st, 2018, 9:04 pm I'm working on a sketch of that illusory angel right now. I figured I'd go for something really disturbing, primarily influenced by those warped funhouse mirrors. Hopefully i can pull it off. I also figured making alternate variants where it shows distorted reflections of Yumi and Aryel, or at the very least reflects their respective color schemes, that can be used when it's talking to them directly, would that be any good?
Can you hold off on that for now? Since the fae don't have portraits, I feel that it would be a little awkward to have her have a portrait in the dialogue text in the boss scenarios when the fae don't.

Just to be safe, here's a list of units that I want to handle later portrait-wise:
Spoiler:
Please feel free to try any of the others - as a suggestion, the other blue demons (shadow and Incubus) still have no portraits, so you could try those.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I could hold it off of course, i only made a concept sketch so far. The ones currently in the coloring stage are the dreamwalkers, to be followed by the Fire Demons.
I'm going to guess the shadow and the incubbus are also faceless.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Hi, I'm currently playing Genesis on BfW 1.13.13 on medium difficulty and have finished many scenarios. Here's my feedback:
Spoiler:
Love the campaign so far. Currently at Incubus. Have a nice day.
Last edited by Sudipta on April 24th, 2018, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

BTIssac, all blue demons are faceless and varying degrees of formless too.

Sudipta, the first couple scenarios were originally a lot harder, but I made them easier to ease the player into the campaign. I cooould make them harder again, I'll think about it. Also, a lot of the carryovers are wrong, I should probably fix those. :lol:

Regarding Impetus:
Spoiler:
Also, can you put your text in a spoiler tag? Would be nice to avoid any spoiler-ish material for people who might be browsing the thread. :P
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Played a few more scenarios. Here's more feedback in spoiler tag. But first read bottom part.
Spoiler:
Most importantly- Yumi's portion of the map in Silent night Scenario lags terribly. I've been playing this scenario for many hours now, each turn takes 4-5 minutes. Its why i'm so late in replying, i arrived at this scenario the day after my previous post, but am stuck here due to lag. I play like an hour everyday before i get bored and do something else. :augh: Aryel's part works fine. But in yumi's part everything takes ages, scrolling around map, moving units, and esp. slow r enemy turns. I am playing the newest version of genesis in BfW 1.13.13

But good news i'm almost at the end of this hellish scenario :lol: It's turn 34 and there's quite a situation here. last turn there was none in sight.. And now...
Spoiler:
Also a visual glitch of some kind. Happened this scenario
Spoiler:
edit: put image in spoilers
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Blagghrgh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that you should turn off animated terrain/water in preferences for Silent Night. It does seem to help the performance quite a bit. I will also try to optimize the scenario and release a quick patch today if you want to wait for that. :augh:

By the way, if any scenario is taking you more than an hour or so for one playthrough, there's likely a problem with it that I didn't foresee. Please don't hesitate in bringing it up so I can fix it. (May not apply to longer scenarios, those may take up to a couple hours depending on how fast you play.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

To be honest...I skipped Moonlit Night. I'm way to underleveled to beat it (no ultimate abilities and yuri lvl 4) and replaying the whole campaign to level them up more is...ugh. :(
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Version 0.2.0 is released for 1.13/1.14 only.

Silent Night is now (hopefully) a little less laggy, and the carryovers have been fixed in the other scenarios. It is very likely that you need to turn off terrain/water animations to get better performance. Konrad2, I'm afraid that I don't really want to reduce the difficulty for Moonlit Night on hard mode, but you could always try to reduce the difficulty setting to normal if you wanted to try to beat it without debug. I did, however, lower the difficulty on normal and easy mode by just a touch, so it should be more reasonable on those settings.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I cant solve the sound puzzle at the end of silent night. I am hearing impaired ... i cant discern slight differences in volume or pitch. I can tell that some of the glyphs are louder than the others but cant hear well enough to make out their order. I think solving the puzzle requires stepping on the glyphs in order of increasing volume.. that is.. the faintest one at first and the loudest one at last... but i cant make them out well enough to solve the puzzle.

So i used debug :n to get to the next scenario, but there aryel just vanished. esther and talya talk to thin air and then scenario starts. I think its because the unit aryel doesn't get created here since i used debug next to get here...

So i suppose that's the end of my genesis run.. :cry: a shame really because i loved every scenario prior to silent night. I fell in love with the characters especially Yumi and was looking forward to seeing the events unfold, to see them fight the unseen evil whatever that is, and hopefully triumph.

It's distressing to be set back by something like this. :augh:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay. Having finished it myself (well, an earlier version anyway), here are a couple of things I'd like to comment on. I'm not going to nag much on the difficulty because obviously that has been addressed, but there are a couple of design choices I'd like to comment on.
Spoiler:
I did like the more traditional maps though, and i am lookingmforward for a sequel. But the dream demon sequences were simply not made for me. Still, i will replay after some more polishing. I might have more things to say, but i should hold it off until i play a more up to date version, which is going to have to wait.
On a side note, male Dreamwalker/Dreamweaver are done (although i might have to adjust them a bit because they are way too big). With a little luck, the female variant will be ready by friday, and I'll be able to post the next batch.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Sudipta, please provide me a save for your Silent Night where you get to the puzzle. I can then give you a save for the next scenario. I still haven't gotten around to implementing a visual version of the puzzle - that should come in the next version. Sorry for all the trouble you're having. :augh:
Spoiler:
BTIssac, this is my first campaign after all, so I admit that I didn't plan things out completely and some scenarios ended up being very similar (e.g. the sequence Blood Sea to Silent Night, and like you said, the last two playable scenarios have similar elements). I think I was mostly just having fun trying to come up with new gameplay ideas. :lol:

I will also admit that I don't agree with having super clear objectives. I think part of playing video games (Wesnoth included) is exploring and figuring out what to do for yourself, not having every step of the way dictated to you exactly. However, I do agree that misleading objectives are bad, so I'll try to fix those.
Spoiler:
Looking forward to your portraits. ^_^
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well as i said, my attempt at exploration and trying to figure out where to go resulted in me leaving the playable area. The thing that REALLY threw me off course were the two major empty spaces left and right of the destination. Both being further south. I went past the destination and tried to instead explore both sides. I probably didn't notice the different tile because of the lighting of the room i was in. Still, if the map was slightly more funnel-like, if those two areas didn't stretch so far south, it wouldn't be this easy to miss.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

nemaara wrote: May 1st, 2018, 3:26 pm Sudipta, please provide me a save for your Silent Night where you get to the puzzle. I can then give you a save for the next scenario. I still haven't gotten around to implementing a visual version of the puzzle - that should come in the next version. Sorry for all the trouble you're having. :augh:
Spoiler:
Wow, thanks a lot. Here's a save at turn 35, when i get to the puzzle. I had 1385 gold at the start of scenario and now i have 600 only. Running from the void sure is expensive as hell. :P

Btw, i read BtIsaac's comments about the design choices. Here's my 2 cents
Spoiler:
Attachments
Gns-1-Silent Night Turn 35.gz
(128.7 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Excellent timing, I was about to shut down for the night. You can find your save below.

Edit: the save I made for you used 1.14. If that save doesn't work, you'll need to wait a few hours for when I can redownload 1.13.13 and make a save for you on that version. If the current save works, then all is well. :P
Spoiler:
BTIssac, the funnel is a good idea. I'll draw that in for the next Genesis patch. If you have any other ideas for improvements (that aren't complete scenario overhauls), I'm all ears.
Attachments
Gns-1-Black Forest.gz
(31.58 KiB) Downloaded 264 times