Lordbob's commissionned work: UtBS

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Lordbob's commissionned work: UtBS

Post by Pentarctagon »

Nym's smile seems a little... forced, maybe? Almost like it's sarcastic. The coloration of either end of her lips seems like it extends a little too far as well.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I actually have to agree with Pent here - the smile does look a bit off. I think the problem is we don't see her bottom teeth. A cheery, happy smile would display both top and bottom sets of teeth, and her mouth would probably be a bit... more closed? I'm not sure.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

The picture of Eloh is great, but my eyes read it in a different way, congratulations if this was intended. I see a green-blue ghost, with the elf's cleavage as the eyes and elf's stomach as the rest of the face; the elf herself being a (possibly dead) part of the green thing's costume.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

You're all damn right, it's frustrating how after all this time I'm still struggling with expressions and especially female faces. There's something I badly need to practice more...

Any better like this ?
octalot wrote: April 21st, 2018, 1:38 pm The picture of Eloh is great, but my eyes read it in a different way, congratulations if this was intended. I see a green-blue ghost, with the elf's cleavage as the eyes and elf's stomach as the rest of the face; the elf herself being a (possibly dead) part of the green thing's costume.
Right... This is definitely something I intended. Has to be. Probably. Maybe. Amazing the things that go through my mind... :whistle: :mrgreen:
Attachments
UtBS-nym_faces.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Last Nym edit is *perfect*. :D
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The revised clothing folds/textures and lighting on Garak are really gorgeous. It’s my favorite portrait in this set by far. Well done, Lord Bob.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

For the last portrait, personally I think I'd prefer to see the naga rather than either of the two merfolk. This is mostly because it seems more generally useful and we don't have that many nagas, though, so if you consider the merfolk to be more important, I guess I can understand that.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I already asked him to work on Melusand since she has a significant amount of dialog (39 [message] blocks).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I have to agree with the naga hunter being a better choice if it's not too late. Its unit description will be checked by almost all players, and right now it's the old cartoon style. Naga hunters are used in a lot of UMC campaigns too, so it would get a lot of use.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Yeah, that's similar to what I was thinking. Meanwhile, the merfolk can probably make do with existing portraits for the time being. Sure it wouldn't be a unique face, but at least it would match the style.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I was going to say before Vultraz posted that I’d really prefer Melusand since she’s more of a unique character (Esanoo can die/be replaced by other merfolk after his introduction), and while she only speaks for one scenario, the impact she makes on the plot is much more significant.

In any case the decision has already been made.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Alright, Eloh's rage variant. Let me know if I went overboard.
Attachments
UtBS-eloh_rage.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Doesn't look overboard to me. Are her hands supposed to show corruption/withering?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome I really love the portrait for Garak! Also the variants for Eloh and Nym look very good.

Personally I don't mind if a naga or mer is drawn but strongly request the cartoon placeholder that is currently the naga bowman is replaced! It is not well drawn and very bad looking.

The Naga swordsman would make a far better place holder because the current portrait goes completely against the style of wesnoth, especially the new release which features many updates graphically.

Or alternatively I have seen a frankenportrait which is easily a dozen times better.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

We'll use a generic for the Naga.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!