Good campaigns for beginners

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Daliena

Good campaigns for beginners

Post by Daliena »

Hello, everyone. Not sure if this is the right place, but alas I'm a bit new to the forums in general..

To the point, can anyone recommend any good campaigns for people who are new to (or just bad at, heh) Battle for Wesnoth? I've done Heir to the Throne, The South Guard, A Tale of Two Brothers and An Orcish Incursion, but after that I'm not sure where to go. I remember hazily that long ago I tried Liberty and got my butt kicked from one end of Wesnoth to the other, which has made me skittish of the Intermediate campaigns. I also have a vague memory of playing what I believe was Tale of a Mage, but apparently that's no longer around.. Shame.

In any case, suggestions for easy-ish campaigns, and better yet if they're long ones like Heir to the Throne (it's just not the same feeling jumping between different campaigns even if the level count is the same, you know?) would be very welcome.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Good campaigns for beginners

Post by octalot »

That sounds as if you tried Liberty before you'd done all of HTTT, TSG, AToTB and AOI. If so, I'd give the intermediate campaigns another go, you may have become a better player than you think ;)
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Daliena wrote:To the point, can anyone recommend any good campaigns for people who are new to (or just bad at, heh) Battle for Wesnoth? I've done Heir to the Throne, The South Guard, A Tale of Two Brothers and An Orcish Incursion, but after that I'm not sure where to go. I remember hazily that long ago I tried Liberty and got my butt kicked from one end of Wesnoth to the other, which has made me skittish of the Intermediate campaigns. I also have a vague memory of playing what I believe was Tale of a Mage, but apparently that's no longer around.. Shame.
Most of the campaigns on the add-ons server tend to be designed for experienced players and/or harder levels of difficulty ... but FaeLord's campaigns (The Drums of War, The Amaranthine Stone, Alariel's Journey) are fairly straightforward and are probably a good choice for beginners (at least at the easier difficulty levels).
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

delfador memoirs
Daliena

Post by Daliena »

octalot wrote:That sounds as if you tried Liberty before you'd done all of HTTT, TSG, AToTB and AOI. If so, I'd give the intermediate campaigns another go, you may have become a better player than you think ;)
Ah, to clarify, I played Wesnoth once long, long ago and am basically relearning it, I just have memories of beating Heir to the Throne at least back when Konrad and Li'sar had different portraits (However long ago that may have been) and then trying out Liberty and bam.. Face smashed.

Still, I've been giving it another shot, and I've (very barely) managed to scrape my way up to mission 3 so far. Good lord that cavalry rush in 2 is tough..

Edit the Second: Cleared Liberty! It gets unbelievably much better once you escalate from footpads to outlaws doesn't it?

Edit the Third: Legend of Wesmere's third mission. For real. I'm playing on normal, control most of the map, and yet the orange/brown orc warlord will every single turn recruit a new castle full of rank 2 units. All in all, nope. That mission has officially ruined this campaign for me, at least. :|
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Hammer of Thursagan is pretty straightforward. If you don't count one forest mission, it's mostly a breeze, until you get to the big dungeon crawl at the very end.

Legend of Wesmere can get tedious, due to the huge emphasis on large scale battles on oversized maps, which also means having to fight a bunch of enemies with ridiculous amounts of starting gold and base income. That said, it's doable, but it's not something I'd replay any time soon.
Also, be careful of Eastern Invasion. The first third may seem like manageable, but the next one is all trial and error. It's very easy to make mistakes, and it's very unforgiving when you do.
Daliena

Post by Daliena »

BTIsaac wrote:Hammer of Thursagan is pretty straightforward. If you don't count one forest mission, it's mostly a breeze, until you get to the big dungeon crawl at the very end.

Legend of Wesmere can get tedious, due to the huge emphasis on large scale battles on oversized maps, which also means having to fight a bunch of enemies with ridiculous amounts of starting gold and base income. That said, it's doable, but it's not something I'd replay any time soon.
Also, be careful of Eastern Invasion. The first third may seem like manageable, but the next one is all trial and error. It's very easy to make mistakes, and it's very unforgiving when you do.
Legend of Wesmere got tedious indeed, and I've left it for now. I also tried Eastern Invasion a tad, but despite making it a fair ways in I dropped it for the moment due to irritation at Xenophobia (Four-way between you, elves, dwarves and orcs).

Hammer of Thursagan however I'll say was quite enjoyable. I was thankfully prepared for the forest mission with some explorers to hack the Woses into firewood, along with dwarf lords to do the heavy lifting (and my oh my, I think they may be my favorite unit).

The final dungeon crawl was also something I actually found *mostly* enjoyable as well. Could've done without how it took forever to move my troops into position at the south gates, and the tunnel from the spider caves (especially my poor lonely Mage of Light - I didn't really train many Magi in that campaign..) but it was more than made up for by the epic feeling of dwarf lords and sentinels carving through some hundreds of foes in chokepoints, backed up by the MoL on one front and Angarthing on the other, pushing forward to enemy bases, falling back when they vomit out a flood of units to go with their speech about how you're doomed, and eventually once the swarm is diminished once again taking the tunnels, step by bloody step.
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

Dallena: Consider marking some of your last post as spoilers.

Anyway, now you can try HttT again, but since you have some experienced try to only recruit rats. Uh, I mean cats... Dogs! I meant dogs! ... uh, never mind.
Byron

Post by Byron »

My three favorites are Samplings, Ghostly Calls & the Case of the Missing Scepter.

I hope they will be maintained & uploaded to the 1.14 server.