cycle the units by proximity

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
StefanoS

cycle the units by proximity

Post by StefanoS »

Hi all,
maybe it could be an improvement if the 'n' and 'space' commands cycle units (sorting them) by the proximity to the actual hex in the center of the screen.
i don't know how it could be coded.
regards :)
ogr

Re: cycle the units by proximity

Post by ogr »

Hi,

Well, I'm not sure it's feasible, as it could introduce "loop" in the unit cycle.
Imagine this case :

3 units : A - B - C
A is closer to B, B is closer to C, C is closer to B.
You select A, then press 'n',
the closest unit is B so it selects B, then press 'n',
the closest unit is C so it selects C, then press 'n',
the closest unit is B so it selects B, then press 'n',
the closest unit is C so it selects C, then press 'n',
[...]

Or have I misunderstood your idea ?
Telcontar

Post by Telcontar »

ogr wrote: April 12th, 2018, 7:06 pm Well, I'm not sure it's feasible, as it could introduce "loop" in the unit cycle.
If implemented in a smart way, the next unit would be progressively farther away, and cycles would be avoided.

However, I see a problem when using this multiple times (with moves or entire turns in between). The order would change every time, and that would perhaps make it more confusing than helpful.

I think that a normal spacial navigation (moving around the map to select other nearby units visually) probably still achieves the goal of selecting the next unit best.

Perhaps one could implement a way to highlight units that still have movement points left with a hotkey. (I haven't played in a while, not sure if this feature already exists.)
StefanoS

Post by StefanoS »

I think it might be a difficult problem to avoid "loops" and have an improved function of pick the next unit.
but it is an interesting problem from my point of view and could be solved with a sub optimal solution (still useful)
units can also be grouped according to their distance (there are so many ways to do this ... each with pros and cons),
and group could be refreshed just in some cases

it can also be useful simply to smooth the camera movement, it would help to don't loose orientation. ;)