Using old unused mainline art in UMC content

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
The_Gnat

Using old unused mainline art in UMC content

Post by The_Gnat »

I was wondering, having stumbled upon a few old story art threads that LordBob had worked on in the past (and that seem to never have been put into mainline), if these are free to use in UMC content.

Here, here and here are a few links.

This is some really great artwork and I was wondering if it could be used for UMC campaigns and the like?

The reason I ask is because I thought that perhaps some licensing or other uses for these images might mean that they LordBob would prefer they are not used? Is that the reason they are not in mainline?
vultraz
Developer

Re: Using old unused mainline art in UMC content

Post by vultraz »

That's all story art for The Rise of Wesnoth which will be in the next release (1.13.14) (though the second link is of old iterations).
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay thank you. That is good to hear because it is really nice artwork.

Also the situations though specifically tailored to TRoW will work well for other UMC content also.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

It still can be used for UMC according to the concept of open source! Especially old ones, where the characters are not recognizeable, would not even lead to confusion. There are nice nature, castle, battle, ship pictures in there. I would say: Salvage what you can! Keep in mind that you can crop the stuff to your liking and you could use some art style filters as well.

There is an elvish archer pointing his bow at the viewer somewhere. Does anybody have a good quality version of it? That would be awesome! It was not considered appropriate for mainline and the posted art at that time was scaled down to much.