Dunefolk(previously Khalifate) race description

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Dunefolk(previously Khalifate) race description

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Personally I have no problem with adding mentions of things that aren't yet in the game if we plan to add them (the roc / wyvern). I like the change regarding the level of independence, since Elensefar is definitely comparable and some of the northern cities may be as well.

About the "higher authority", in my opinion "khalif" is fine. I would also be okay with "sultan" or similar terms. The idea of rallying to a higher authority only in wartime is actually interesting and reminds me of Ancient Rome. Perhaps, similar to Rome, the person could be appointed when needed by a council of the ruling bodies of each of the cities.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: March 23rd, 2018, 12:24 am About the "higher authority", in my opinion "khalif" is fine. I would also be okay with "sultan" or similar terms. The idea of rallying to a higher authority only in wartime is actually interesting and reminds me of Ancient Rome. Perhaps, similar to Rome, the person could be appointed when needed by a council of the ruling bodies of each of the cities.
"Khalif" is a religious term, we talked about this in the unit renaming topic. So it's better "Sultan" or something else.
Aboute the idea of a "dictator" (the Roman term for such an "emergency" authority), I think it's quite similar to the Orc Council. Not necessarily a problem, just highlighting the fact. :eng:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Actually, I recall a Shahanshah being mentioned as some kind of higher authority in Soldier of Wesnoth. It's a persian term used for emperors, and since Dune used the term Padishah Emperor, I'm not seeing why this wouldn't be appropriate.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Then I think that in the description it's enough to say 'a temporary leader/ruler/chief' and let the campaigns specify the details, if necessary. If this is an emergency measure like it was among the romans, it makes sense that it is a single person.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I think I'll leave the roc/wyvern in the description, and then make another PR after the current one to add them to the faction, which should be too hard since there's already a base sprite for them(though I'll need to re-find the thread they're in). Otherwise, as long as it's okay to leave the exact name of the higher authority out, I think it's good to go.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

We can always add the later once we decide on it.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

In that case, I've merged to current description. Given this isn't carved in stone, further edits and tweaks can of course be made later.
name

Post by name »

Pentarctagon wrote: March 23rd, 2018, 9:15 pm I think I'll leave the roc/wyvern in the description, and then make another PR after the current one to add them to the faction, which should be too hard since there's already a base sprite for them(though I'll need to re-find the thread they're in).
If I recall, these are the sprites you seek: Roc Wyvern
There are smaller sprites for Rocs and Wyverns that may better fit a level one unit in the Era of Magic.

If I am not mistaken, wyverns were purely a european invention. But then so too was greek fire.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I also like the one to the right of the wyverns (as a possible jinn) as well as the top right (a dunefolk magi). Might be nice to use those too eventually in core units, though not in the actual faction.

Wyverns are indeed a European concept, but we certainly don't need to pull exclusively from Middle-Eastern ideas for the dunefolk.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Hm... The roc sprite is definitely too large - it's 144x144 whereas regular sprites are 72x72, and it looks like it's in more of an attack pose than if it were idling on a hex. I'm assuming it'd be an advancement from the Elder Falcon, so it'd be a level 2, but still. Asking about using the sprite from EoMa is also an option, I suppose.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

The roc could also be a separate unit line rather than an advancement of the falcon. Also, if it is an advancement of the falcon you'd have to decide whether it's a standard one (available in multiplayer) or an optional one (enabled by a define, for campaigns).
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

By a separate unit line, you mean both falcons and rocs would be available for recruiting?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Potentially, yeah. I'm not really sure which method I prefer though.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Why adding the roc if there are already Gryphons?
Try out the dark board theme.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Shiki wrote: March 26th, 2018, 1:50 am Why adding the roc if there are already Gryphons?
That's a good point. Maybe effort spent on Roc would be better invested in Wyverns or whatever new line is developed.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects