Saurian race description

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MathBrush

Re: Saurian race description

Post by MathBrush »

Yeah, the eggs are in LoW and the matriarchal society is in Secrets of the Ancients. The part about men studying magic isn't canon; the word 'male' could be stricken from the description, just saying the many saurians train for combat and magic.

The astrology is also from Secrets of the Ancients.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

The description seems good, but Sapient kind of has a point about the gender divide. They can be matriarchal yet still have less of a clear gender divide can't they? I don't particularly mind Xalzar's suggestion of making them sequential hermaphrodites, and the fact that the naming scheme for male and female saurians is the same would help with that idea. The saurian unit definitions actually make them all male, but that could be easily changed (just add gender=male,female to each definition, much as is done with the nagas).

The idea of saurian astronomy / astrology is definitely far older than SotA, but I guess it's nice that it has made an appearance in a mainline campaign now. They're also supposed to be accomplished mathematicians if I recall correctly (which makes sense since that's a prerequisite for astronomy probably).
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Yes, I think the sequential hermaphrodites idea is really good.

I’d be interested in seeing other people’s takes; I liked the accretive approach for the Dunefolk description where each new person wrote a description influenced by what they liked of previous descriptions, but with several new additions.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

i think the bit about haldric, kalenz, and landar decimating the saurians should not be mentioned directly or not mentioned at all since i feel like it is lore that is meant to be discovered through the campaigns similar to how one learns about the elves weakness against silver "in the south guard" but would not know about it otherwise just from the race description
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

It could also be mentioned without naming specific names.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

No one has said anything here for awhile. Has the saurian race description initiative sputtered to a halt?

I'm asking because i'm creating a campaign and i want it to adhere to mainline canon. It's set in the northlands and I'm thinking of adding saurian opponents in a desert level (specifically when the protagonists are crossing the Desert of Death) and i want to ask is it acceptable to have small saurian tribes living in some of the deserts of the great continent ? They have 1 MP cost in sand terrain and i personally think its okay to have some saurians in deserts but i wanna get other people's opinion on the matter.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

As far as I know, established canon appears to make saurians typically swamp-dwellers, so I'd find it a little weird to see them in the desert. As reptiles or similar though, I think it's reasonably likely that they can live in the desert if they so choose.

Personally I'd suggest just doing what you want and not worrying too much about the canon. As far as I know the canon says nothing about whether any saurians live in the desert, and I doubt it says anything about whether they can live in the desert, so putting them there probably wouldn't be in direct contradiction to canon but also probably wouldn't have any support from canon.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: June 16th, 2018, 12:45 am As far as I know, established canon appears to make saurians typically swamp-dwellers, so I'd find it a little weird to see them in the desert. As reptiles or similar though, I think it's reasonably likely that they can live in the desert if they so choose.

Personally I'd suggest just doing what you want and not worrying too much about the canon. As far as I know the canon says nothing about whether any saurians live in the desert, and I doubt it says anything about whether they can live in the desert, so putting them there probably wouldn't be in direct contradiction to canon but also probably wouldn't have any support from canon.
Now that's the answer i was hoping for. I'll take it as a green light and roll :lol:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Please don't take anything I say as a "green light". I'm not in charge of the canon or anything like that. But yeah just do what you want, would be my advice.