BT attempts portraiting

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Re: BT attempts portraiting - Rogue mage line

Post by Wussel »

I tried some other tricks on the rogue mage and had to turn him. This time I cropped and put the wing at 70% transparency.
Spoiler:
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Wussel wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 5:20 pmPlease note: The wings are CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. The mage is GPL. What to do? SA would make this picture CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. Is this legal?
No. NC is incompatible with the GPL: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Well I guess we are in luck since BTIsaac just announced that he will be using CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 too.
BTIsaac wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 11:13 pm ... Uh okay sure. Whichever that is, let's go with that.
As the exact wording of the artist has been requested in the past, I provide a full citation straight away. 8)
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

You might want to provide a bit of context here. I said I'd normally want people to let me know beforehand if they want to use my work, with anything I post here being freely available to use in wesnoth related stuff, I was told copyright magjicks don't exactly work like that, so I'll be content with just being credited.

Nemaara uses that license above so I agreed that whatever works for him, works for me.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I am very careful in providing interpretations of the artist' word due to misunderstandings in the past (please check the recent post in Art Contribution of LordBob).

That is why I reposted your statement to the full extant without anything added or removed (just your own citation). I believe the clarity and beauty of the artist' word just speaks for itself.

Am I at fault again?
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

No.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

No, that's fine, Wussel :)
BTIsaac

Re: BT attempts portraiting

Post by BTIsaac »

I intend to post a couple of mostly finished demon portraits as well as the slightly retouched Rogue Mage line. Until then, here's an attempt at the fiend https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/Genesis/ ... Fiend.html
Only male variant now. I made a mistake with the female variant.
Last edited by BTIsaac on July 13th, 2018, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, I brought the finished/updated portraits with me, including the updated Rogue Mage line portraits where I tried to do a complete re-shading of the finished image to make it look more 3D - hopefully there's a more defined lightsource now.

Also included are the Red Demon/Demoness.
Attachments
Okay, there's something off with the left arm. Why didn't I notice this before?
Okay, there's something off with the left arm. Why didn't I notice this before?
Red Demon.png (174.78 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
Red Demoness.png
Red Demoness.png (124.84 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
Shadow Lord portrait.png
Shadow Lord portrait.png (193.37 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
Shadow Mage portrait.png
Shadow Mage portrait.png (192.82 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
Rogue Mage portrait.png
Rogue Mage portrait.png (194.91 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Part 2, Blue demon line with Apparition/Nightmare branch + inked Dreamwalker sketch
Attachments
Blue Demon.png
Blue Demon.png (313.95 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
This one may be redundant
This one may be redundant
Apparition.png (314.04 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
Nightmare.png
Nightmare.png (339.6 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
Dreamwalker.jpg
Dreamwalker.jpg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Part 3: Blue demoness with Apparition / Nightmare line, and Fiend Female variant (linework for female dreamwalker looks bad, I'll fix it while working).

By the way, I'll remove most of these attachments once they're no longer needed. Don't want to hog up server space.
Attachments
Blue Demoness.png
Blue Demoness.png (251.13 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
Again, this may be redundant.
Again, this may be redundant.
ApparitionF.png (299.48 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
NightmareF.png
NightmareF.png (377.53 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
Pay no heed to the hands.
Pay no heed to the hands.
Fiend2.jpg (25.86 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

From nemaara's thread, because i shouldn't be hogging it:
Wussel wrote: March 23rd, 2018, 6:22 pm I am not talking about Kitties Tutorial to draw like Kitty. I really just talk about a line to make the art more pop out of the surrounding. If you do not mind, I could show you an example.

It is more like a 2,5 pixel outline:
Spoiler:
You could test it in game and check which version works better. Blacklines go under light effects! I Reduced the light effect to 60% in the 2nd example. Again I would advice an in game test.

PS: I like the ones you call derpy. Can't wait to see what will be left of it after coloring.
First and foremost, an outline should never be wider than 1 pixel, unless it's done the way Kitty did it. Second, adding the outline like that makes the end result look like a cardboard cutout. And even if your proposal works for the red demon, it's entirely contrary to what i was going for with the blue demons. Their entire point is that they're not supposed to be clearly defined. Besides, i don't think i need to worry about their bright vibrant color not standing out.

The "derpy" portrait is not here. The first attempt at the female fiend was on the same page as the male one, and was cut off after scanning. The current version was completely redrawn, and i wouldn't have posted it if i wasn't at least somewhat satisfied with the results.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I really do not know what derpy actually means. Even the urban dictionary did not shed light on it. For me that happy smiling demon looked "derpy", whatever it means.

Do in game tests. You can just temporarily replace existing art in any campaign to see it in game. You can even make a screen shot. It helps. A lot!

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Derpy
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well, you won't find any accurate description because it's a visual thing. "Derpy" technically means cross-eyed, but it's generally used for any really weird expression that doesn't quite express anything and just looks really stupid. You need an image search to get it.
Think along the lines of this here https://commissarchristoph.deviantart.c ... -132295340
In fact, this is pretty much what it looked like.
Also, i know next to nothing about how to play around with the game files. Especially on a mobile. But as i said before, a thick stroke around a fully shaded image just doesn't look good, with or without a background. I'd wait for feedback from Nemaara because it's ultimately not up to either of us to decide whether they look good or not.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Ok, at least paint light effects in a different layer than the creature below. It helps a lot.

And Christoph does not help me either. derp-awkward-foolish? Sounds like perfect demon to me.

Cross-eyed makes sense. That would not be a bad thing?

https://www.julialpowell.com/derp-portraits/

This lady is even going for crowd funding!