The Deep Elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wussel

Re: The Deep Elves

Post by Wussel »

Finally I found it! How is the single player campaign "Nightfall" doing?

From just a quick look I found the Patroness unit name exotic. It sound so patriachic to me. I would go more for a more matriarchic name. I know Matron sounds like head nurse and is taken by some other UMC factions already.

So hard to find a appropriate word for a female pope or bishop or cardinal. Anybody any ideas?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

I made some progress with the Nightfall campaign throughout the last months. The scenario design differs from the currently uploaded version. I still need to redo all the dialogues, though. And I don't have much Wesnoth time the upcoming months
Last edited by Kwandulin on November 9th, 2017, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Updated to v.1.4:
  • removed the Elthare (L2)
  • added the Corrupted (L3) instead, which advances from the Phade. She has the "Ether grip" special: the Corrupted pulls an opponent into the dark world. The target will receive an additional +20% damage this turn. Suited to beat down the big baddies.
  • Line damage of the Harbinger now only deals 50% damage.
  • added Magical special to the Priestress line.
  • slightly increased Minotaur HP
  • boosted Tyr'Hai cavalry damage slightly.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

The Deep Elves v.1.5
  • added a flying L0 deep elf scout, the Whisp. On advancement, it can either advance to any of the 4 basic deep elf units or to the Greater Whisp
  • added a L1 advancement of the Whisp, the Greater Whisp
  • added a L2 advancement of the Greater Whisp, the Whisp Mother, which grants nearby whisps a +25% attack bonus
  • slighty improved the overall resistance of the deep elves, because they have no favourable terrain and were very squishy
  • increased overall cost of the deep elves. As a counterweight to the northerners, the deep elves are intended to have high-quality but high-cost units
  • removed some abilities. The Deep Elves should rely on their special subrace-abilities: Spurt (Shadowborns), Hunter (Bloodborns), Stardust (Lightborns)
  • now all subrace abilities scale properly with the unit level (spurt grants +1/+2/+3 mp, on the hunt grants +2/+3/+4 bonus damage, stardust grants +10%/+15%/+20% parry)
  • Bloodmaidens gain +2 hp whenever attacking a unit of the unit type that they are hunting
  • changed Stardust so that it decreases the chance to be hit by +10%/+15%/+20%
  • the Lightborn line special ability "Stardust" is now displayed as an ability and not as a weapon special to every attack
  • the spurt ability of the Nightmaiden line now only works at night (as intended)
  • the units of the Nightmaiden line are now automatically re-selected once their ability is triggered
  • the Night Stalker and Baroness of the Night now have a ranged crossbow attack. They shoot a magical enchanted bolt that seeks its enemies and has a high chance to hit. Also grants the Deep Elves another source of (midgame) pierce damage besides the Tyr'Hai
  • added a rip attack to the Baroness of the Night: a single strike 1.5x damage attack, but she also receives 1.5x retaliation damage
  • the ram attack of the Minotaur is now disabled on defense
  • fixed Shadow Tyr'Hais teleport ability not working
  • the line damage is now available for the Patron
  • improved the names of the attacks
  • reduced strike gfx on lower unit levels
  • renamed Lidh to Lightborn
  • added a slight halo to the Lightborn line
  • improved the Lightborn defense animation
  • added a defense animation for the Phade
  • a visual effect shows up, when the Bloodmaidens have chosen a target
  • added a halo that indicated that a Bloodmaiden is on the hunt
  • added a black whirlwind graphical effect to the Nightmaiden line whenever their special ability is triggered
  • fixed the Seer's attack animation not showing the exclamation mark
  • Night Stalker and Night Baroness are now less bulky (visual) and have a crossbow on their back
  • improved the attack animation of the Vault Lurker
  • added a bite strike gfx for the Tyr'Hai
  • added a fancy animation to the Matriarch and Patron: the arcan barrage
Attachments
Deep Elves v1.5 - Visuals
Deep Elves v1.5 - Visuals
Deep Elves v1.5 - Unit Tree
Deep Elves v1.5 - Unit Tree
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

the new visuals are simply majestic! (especially whisp mother's ranged animation) anyway, some feedack:
-I find it a bit weird that the whisp orb attacks are classified as ranged, while looking like melee attacks
-I think Greater Whisp is a bit too un-attractive stat-wise compared to other advancements (maybe give it a 4-1 magical arcane melee (5-2 for whisp mother))
-bugreport: whisp has Lidh (the old id for lightborn) as an advancement, resulting in the game crashing when trying to advance the whisp
-bugreport: many units have the "image not found" image as their portrait. it would be a good idea to comment out the "profile=" lines for units who don't have a portrait image yet.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks! I fixed the whisp attack/stats and the related crash. I hope to fill in the portraits later, so I won't change that now
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Ooh, interesting new abilities :) BTW, the descriptions in ABILITY_STARDUST and SPECIAL_NOTES_STARDUST still say that they reduce the number of strikes.

I'm interested to see how the new stardust will play, but I really liked the tactics of the old one; in the scenario where there are enemies with 30-1 attacks, I assumed the puzzle was to ensure those enemies could only attack units with stardust.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Kwandulin wrote:Thanks! I fixed the whisp attack/stats and the related crash. I hope to fill in the portraits later, so I won't change that now
ok. btw, more feedback:
-Seer's ranged attack anim's start_time/missile_start_time values should be set higher (perhaps -3000 for start_time, and -2600 for missile_start_time), since currently the damage is dealt during the explamation mark, instead of the explosion
-I think it would be a good idea to add the magical special to Seer's ranged attack, but nerf it's damage-increase-per-kill effect to +1 per kill
-in the current (1.51) version, baroness of night's rip attack seems to be missing it's special
-I think the lightborn line seems a bit too ranged-attack-oriented. I would suggest the following changes to their stats:
lvl1: 7-2 melee, 4-4 ranged, maybe increase arcane resistance to 0%
lvl2: 10-2 melee, ranged is ok, maybe increase arcane resistance to 10%
lvl3 (Irr): 12-2 melee, maybe increase arcane resistance to 20%
-proposed changes to Corrupted to make her actually viable stat-wise in comparison with Irr:
-maybe give her an ability, like regenerates, or something else
-either buff her melee attacks (maybe 12-3 faerie touch and 15-2 nether grip), give her a weak ranged attack, or maybe even both
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
IPS

Post by IPS »

It's me or I don't find any add-on to test the newer deep elves? :/
I don't find any add-on named deep elves or any add-on with Kwandulin as author.

I'm playing at 1.12.6 versions.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IPS wrote:It's me or I don't find any add-on to test the newer deep elves? :/
I don't find any add-on named deep elves or any add-on with Kwandulin as author.

It seems Kwandulin decided to move all of his add-ons to 1.13, I guess you'll have to use the development version for testing.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

ForestDragon wrote: -I think the lightborn line seems a bit too ranged-attack-oriented. I would suggest the following changes to their stats:
lvl1: 7-2 melee, 4-4 ranged, maybe increase arcane resistance to 0%
lvl2: 10-2 melee, ranged is ok, maybe increase arcane resistance to 10%
lvl3 (Irr): 12-2 melee, maybe increase arcane resistance to 20%
Won't fix, because the Lightborn is the archer equivalent and the Deep Elves are already very melee oriented, at least on the lower levels. Adding level-dependend arcance restistance is too confusing, as they already got another level-dependent bonus.
IPS wrote:It's me or I don't find any add-on to test the newer deep elves? :/

The Deep Elves are only accessible from 1.13.x nowadays

v.1.52 (BfW 1.13.x only)
  • fixed the stardust ability description
  • fixed Seer's ranged attack animation
  • changed Seer's "Will of Shassagoth" attack to having the magical special and only receiving +1 damage per kill
  • fixed Baroness of the Night's rip special not showing up
  • improved Baroness of the Night's attack animation
  • improved attacks of the Corrupted. Nether grip is now weaker than her fairie touch, but it still amplifies further damage; either deal damage or make the enemy unit more susceptible to damage for this turn. Previously, there were no usecases, where fairie touch had been the prefered weapon choice.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Kwandulin wrote:Won't fix, because the Lightborn is the archer equivalent and the Deep Elves are already very melee oriented, at least on the lower levels.
ok, though in that case, the lightborn suffer the issue of the lvl2/lvl3's ranged attacks being too weak for an archer equivalent line. I would then recommend buffing Lidh's ranged from 6-4 to 7-4, and Irr's ranged from 8-4 to 8-5 or 10-4.
Kwandulin wrote:Adding level-dependend arcance restistance is too confusing, as they already got another level-dependent bonus.
resistances being higher for high-level units is fairly normal, even in mainline. If you'd prefer static arcane resistances, how about 10% for all levels for the lightborn line?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

ForestDragon wrote:
Kwandulin wrote:Won't fix, because the Lightborn is the archer equivalent and the Deep Elves are already very melee oriented, at least on the lower levels.
ok, though in that case, the lightborn suffer the issue of the lvl2/lvl3's ranged attacks being too weak for an archer equivalent line. I would then recommend buffing Lidh's ranged from 6-4 to 7-4, and Irr's ranged from 8-4 to 8-5 or 10-4.
I don't feel that they are weak right now, I'll keep them like that for now. They might have lower damage than the ordinary archer, but their stardust ability and arcance damage type makes up for it, imo.
ForestDragon wrote:
Kwandulin wrote:Adding level-dependend arcance restistance is too confusing, as they already got another level-dependent bonus.
resistances being higher for high-level units is fairly normal, even in mainline. If you'd prefer static arcane resistances, how about 10% for all levels for the lightborn line?
Yeah, that could be interesting. I thought about implementing the three subraces: Deep Elf (Bloodborn), Deep Elf (Lightborn), Deep Elf (Shadowborn); each with their own name prefix (still to do), their own abilities (already there) and maybe their own set of resistances. Having a sight arcane resistance buff to Lightborns might be interesting. Cold/Fire resistance for Shadowborns might work, and Bloodborns might receive a slight resistance buff against blade? Sounds good to me, at least, because the Deep Elves do not have favourable terrain. They should be all about managing their composition and placement of units, making use of their special abilities. I might try this out later.

I also plan to redo the portraits, make simplified/colour-blocking portraits with an equal level of detail. And more saturated colours. Colour scheme of the three subraces:
Attachments
subraces.png
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Kwandulin wrote:I don't feel that they are weak right now, I'll keep them like that for now. They might have lower damage than the ordinary archer, but their stardust ability and arcance damage type makes up for it, imo.
If they "might have lower damage than the ordinary archer", then the fact that Lightborn has 5-4 damage (equal to that of elvish archer's ranged), while Lidh has 6-4 ranged damage (below the damage normal for a lvl2's primary attack) kind of contradicts that. maybe nerf Lidhborn's ranged to 4-4 for consistency?
Kwandulin wrote:Yeah, that could be interesting. I thought about implementing the three subraces: Deep Elf (Bloodborn), Deep Elf (Lightborn), Deep Elf (Shadowborn); each with their own name prefix (still to do), their own abilities (already there) and maybe their own set of resistances. Having a sight arcane resistance buff to Lightborns might be interesting. Cold/Fire resistance for Shadowborns might work, and Bloodborns might receive a slight resistance buff against blade? Sounds good to me, at least, because the Deep Elves do not have favourable terrain. They should be all about managing their composition and placement of units, making use of their special abilities. I might try this out later.
well, you don't even need to make unique races for them (you can just put [resistance] tags inside the units, or give each subrace a custom movement type with unique resitances)
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Finally worked on the unit descriptions. I am generally happy with most of them. Maybe someone (preferably a native english-speaker) is willing to proofread or add more thematically fitting flavour stuff? That would help me a lot to improve the faction as a whole.

Also see the unit tree if you are not familiar with the unit lines.

Deep Elves
The Deep Elves are descendands of the original wood-elves of the forest of Lintanir, the great groove in the northwest of the Great Continent. Being nothing more than just shadows of their former selfs, the Deep Elves live in the caverns of Blackqvasten, a place hidden underneath the heart of the Great Continent, a place, neither the dead nor the life can see. At the lowest spot of Blackqvasten lies the Black Lake, in whose midst a statue of Shassagoth resides. Shassagoth is often displayed as a huge black dragon. From beneath his shadow realm, he directs the Deep Elves, who serve him, and smites the foes of him and his kin.
The darkness of the depths and the presence of Shassagoth led to several adaptatios of the former elves, who got pulled into darkness and made a pact with Shassagoth. Some developed a skin as bright as the stars, which could make both blade and arrow harmless. These are called Lightborn and they kept their fairie nature and illuminate the dark caverns through their sheer presence. Others developed a skin as dark as the night, which promises them shelter in the darkest realms and allowed them to become the shadows, quickly moving through the nights. Moreover, others developed a skin as red as the moon, after a fierce battle has been fought and blood spilled – a remarkable sign of their excellence in blade or magic. But whatever it may that distinguishes them, the pact they made with Shassagoth unifies them. And what once was elf, soon became a tool of darkness.
As both memorial and monument, the followers of the depths create statues of Shassagoth throughout the vastness of the plains of the Great Continent to ensure his influece. Nowadays, there are plenty of statues of Shassagoth established, even in the most remote regions, waiting and watching, until the darkness once again covers the lands.

Bloodmaiden
Blood Maidens are often seen in the city-state of Blackqvasten. Equipped with a sharp blade, the Blood maiden seek pleasure in battling the foes of Shassagoth. Before they became what they are now, the Blood Maiden were Elvish Swordswomen – until Shassagoth pulled them into darkness. Now, they bear a grudge against their former sisters and brothers.

Vengeance
A Blood Maiden whose sword has not only tasted the blood of her foe, but bathed in it, is granted new powers and becomes a Vengeance. A Vengeance is the answer of the Deep Elves to attacks of their enemies. Whenever a Deep Elf is struck down in battle, a Vengeance will take note of it and seek to revenge her fallen sister.

Seeker
Whoever has incured the hatred of the ghostly apparition that is the Seeker will find death. Seekers are said to be able to move through walls and are immune to sword and arrow, unstoppably following their goal to defeat their chosen enemy. Hunted enemies are plagued with nightmares about their own death – until the Seeker‘s blade does the job. It is said that her sword takes up the soul of the enemy once it dies.

Lightborn
The Lightborn is said to be a strange occurence among the Deep Elves, because she emits light, which is a strong contrast to the darkness of the depths of Blackqvasten. It is said that she the Lightborns have preserved their fairie nature from their former elvish self the best. As such, the Lightborn is able to cast forth balls of light that rush through her enemies, causing harm.

Phade
Over the course of the years, some Lightborns become and more like light itself. Those are then called Phade, magical beings, that look like half their body is vanishing in light. Some say, only her enchanted armor is stopping her body from vanishing. The Phade is able to rush through the body of their enemy, causing harm, while she remains unharmed herself.

Corrupted
The Corrupted are rarely seen throughout Blackqvasten and the realms of the depths. While she did indeed keep her fairie nature, the presence of Shassagoth distorted, yet empowered it. As a result, the Corrupted has access to high forms of destructive magic that is directly linked with the shadow realm of Shassagoth. She is able to pull enemies into his realms, where they‘ll be slowly devoured by the darkness.

Irr
The Irr is Phade that has been freed of its enchanted armor. As a being of pure light, the Irr is able to blind foes with ease. Although rarely encountered in proximity, sometimes an Irr can be seen wandering in the depths, leading wanderers foolish enough to enter the realms of the Deep Elves into the wrong paths, where they will quickly find death.

Priestress of the Vault
The Priestress of the Vault is a being that dedicated its life to serve Shassagoth. In her former elvish life, she once was a shaman, yet she stopped caring about the forests, as she sees them as weak and decadent. As she preserved some of her former magical capabilities from once when she was an elf, she is able to summon an arcane barrage to wear down enemies. She is sometimes seen around elvish territory, in order to convince more of her former sisters to join the ranks of Shassagoth.

Matriarch
The Matriarch leads groups of Priestresses and has been blessed by Shassagoth himself. She has access to forms of destructive magic in order to deal with the enemies of Shassagoth. Matriarchs are often responsible for building statues of Shassagoth throughout the great continent through the help of their magic.

Patroness
Patronesses are highly respected individuals among the ranks of the Deep Elves. The Patroness can cast forth waves of magic that cause harm to everything that is in its way. Patronesses often lead armies of Deep Elves against the enemies of Shassagoth.

Seer
The Seer has an imminent connection with Shassagoth, who the Seers are able to consult, whenever daring to fight a war. As such, the leaders of the Deep Elves often contact the Seers beforehand. The success of the Deep Elves has to do with the ability of the Seers to predict the future. Although being blind and not being able to communicate, it is often said that the Seers are the true leaders of the Deep Elves, as long as there is no Harbinger of Shassagoth.

Harbinger
The Harbinger of Shassagoth is the leader of the Deep Elves and is an earthly representation of Shassagoth. She is rarely seen, but wherever a Harbinger appears, war is imminent – and even the enemies of the Deep Elves can feel the presence of Shassagoth. She has access to high forms of destructive magic and can cast forth waves of magic that slowly move forward and devour everything that is in its way, leaving behind a path of death and destruction. It is said, that Shassagoth itself is taking impact on the world through the magic of the Harbinger.

Tyr‘Hai Rider
Tyr‘Hai are reptiloid creatures that live in the caverns below the Great Continent. The Deep Elves domesticated them. Although the Deep Elves rather rely on the powers granted by Shassagoth, sometimes they acknowledge that simple brute force is needed. The Tyr‘Hai allow the lesser Deep Elves to quickly move through the caverns of Blackqvasten.

Tyr‘Hai Cavalry
Granted a mighty lance, the Tyr‘Hai Rider, who have proven themselves in battle, are known as the Tyr‘Hai Cavalry. Although the lance is able to penetrate even thick layers of armor, it is often seen that it is not the lance that is causing harm, but rather the great Tyr‘Hai itself, devouring enemies with ease – even slowly dissolving the armor of the enemy.

Black Tyr‘Hai
Black Tyr‘Hai are Tyr‘Hai that have been infested with the presence of Shassagoth. They are trustworthy and often accompany and protect smaller groups of Deep Elves. The reptiloid creatures lurk in caverns outside the city of Blackqvasten.

Shadow Tyr‘Hai
The Shadow Tyr‘Hai is rarely seen at all. No one knows where these giantic reptiloid creatures lurk. Some say, they lurk in the very realm of Shassagoth. One thing is for sure: whenever a priestress of Shassagoth is in danger, the Shadow Tyr‘Hai emerge from the shadows and fight back the foes with an irrestistable force. A single priestress wandering through the vastness of the plains has often posed as a dead end for bandits and other vermin.

Nightmaiden
The Nightmaidens are a certain type of Deep Elves, that developed a dark skin. Wearing light armor, the Nightmaidens dance through the night and dark, avoiding sword blows with ease. As such, they can rarely be caught. Being equipped with two sharp blades, foes should not be fooled by her appearance.

Nightstalker
Nightmaiden, who has proven themselves in battle, become the dangerous Nightstalker and as such, her blades have been blessed by the waters of the Black Lake. The Nighstalker is also equipped with a crossbow, that allows her to strikes from the shadows. She is able to follow enemies even through the darkest of nights and across stumbly terrain.

Vault Lurker
The Vault Lurker is a being that emerged from the Black Lake itself and is filled with the essence of Shassagoth. It can emerge in shadows and wherever there are shadows, a Vault Lurkers might appear from it. Never trust your own shadow.

Baroness of the Night
The Baroness of the Night is equipped with an enchanted crossbow, whose bolts seem to be guided by Shassagoth and never miss their target. The Baroness wields two dual-swords with which she can easily cut through both flesh and bone. She is able to do minor teleports through the shadow realm which allow her to quickly move in combat and avoid deathly blows while dealing deathly strikes herself.

Minotaur
The Minotaur is a bulky creature that is not indigenous to the depths of the Great Continent. Minotaurs are cursed creatures; since eons, Minotaurs turn to stone once the light of the sun touches their skin. Shassagoth promised to lift the curse of the Minotaurs, if they decide to fight for his will. Nowadays, though, Minotaurs are often seen in the vast realm of the Deep Elves.

Whisp
A whisp is a flickering light with light magical capabilities. It is roaming the caverns of Blackqvasten, wandering alone. Whisps generally are not dangerous, even to beings that do not inhabit the depths. Some say, that a Whisp is nothing more than a lost soul, tortured by Shassagoth and wandering through the depths, on a long-enduring journey to find peace.

Greater Whisp
Greater Whisps are a stronger kind of whisps, but nobody knows why they are stronger. Greater Whisps have the potential to cast lower forms of magic. They are emanating a strange light that is attracting nearby whisps.

Whispmother
Whispmothers are rare beings, that roam the caverns of Blackqvasten. Often they are surrounded by many whisps and greater whisps. It is said, that the Whispmother is able to control the whisps and enhance their magical potential. Some say, that the Whispmother are not related to the ordinary Deep Elves, but instead are manifested thoughts of Shassagoth.