The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mikeanthony

Re: The Altaz Mariners (the non-linear pirate campaign)

Post by mikeanthony »

Thanks Bob,

We've started a playthrough in Wesnoth 1.13.10, with two of us (myself, and my wesnothing bud James) playing on networked laptops. I'll drop in feedback on our experience as we work through the campaign, but we are both looking forward to what looks like a big, detailed, immersive campaign. More feedback posts to follow soon!
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

initial impressions were very good - we enjoyed the introduction, and (not knowing what to expect) the two 'prologue' missions caught us off - we were all fired up to go on a rescue mission in the woods, and totally didn't pick up on the correct purpose of the missions until later on, which meant they had exactly the right purpose of making us play to character -- nice idea!

(We would have liked to know what happened to the dog though!)

Incidentally, given how unique the two lead characters are, it would be nice if their unit names were slightly different, and the character description was a bit more customised, unfolding a bit of back-story as they level up - something a bit more than thug / poacher (although I guess that does give you a clue as to the direction they will level up in)

Incidentally, I got Largo, James took Hugo - and I am finding the lack of any ranged attack can be slightly frustrating - wonder if a very limited (lvl-1 equivalent) sling or something might be worth including on the final level upgrade later on? (Although I guess this is true of a number of melee-line characters across wesnoth)
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Anyway, past the prologue and on with the first leg - getting out of gaol and back off to sea

We enjoyed the dialog, with a nice blend of comedy and roughness which didn't feel over-the-top or out of place for a pair of hardened pirates; there is quite a bit of dialog; we're happy with that, I guess players who are trigger-happy and hammer through without reading it might have trouble - but then this is more pseudo-RPG so doing so would be unwise!

It took us a while to discover that all the important messages and sub-missions you pick up as you talk to characters and learn new things can be accessed by right-clicking on the active player character - that would have saved us a bit of confusion later on!

Tip for any players: read that help section first, before you get too far in (certainly, before you leave altaz island) - there is some really useful stuff there you will want to know!

The same went for the character stat boosts; the first time it happened, we were pleasantly surprised, but had no idea why!
(on that subject: we checked, and pretty sure that the stats did reset when characters levelled - so something that's definitely worth checking)

One thing we really liked was the inventory system, and we were left itching to get to use it more; nice use of it right at the start as a demonstrator, but we both want more things to go hunting for! We've been wading around in the shallows on every island, and exploring every nook and cranny trying to find things for our inventory - it's nice when diligent searching is rewarded with occasional interesting and unexpected finds, so more of that, please!

The bonus followers on the gaol island were very helpful in the next few missions, so we appreciated that! Took us a bit to get used to the new gold system with followers, loyals, and regulars - (new players, take note and read the help descriptions, so you don't accidentally blow all of your gold!)

On gold: that caught us out. Early on, but not early enough, we realised that preserving gold is key
Spoiler:
to progress the game. Had we picked up on that, I think we'd have been more careful with our recruiting and recalling on the first two proper 'battle' missions (dahazi beach and elixion). As it was, we ended up slightly abusing the gambling den (we love the gambling den!) with a few cheeky save/reloads (ahem...) to get us back into it.

We enjoyed those two battles, pleased to find that we aren't entirely/necessarily the "bad guys" - it seems a bit more nuanced - and I'm not sure the royals are going to be pantomime villains either. We couldn't bring ourselves to attack Farmville yet; maybe we both have too much of a conscience - or maybe it just doesn't seem worth it for their limited coffers - even though we are pirates, and probably should... we'll see; the temptation that they might prove more useful to us later on if we keep them friendly was also playing in our minds.

By the time we finally got to port rutt with the gold we needed, ready to move on, we were enjoying the campaign a lot and really beginning to get into the characters and the story. And that's only the beginning! We sailed off into the deep water and ended our first play session ready to see what was coming next!

So far, very enjoyable stuff, and very refreshingly different from the standard "pitched-battle-after-pitched-battle" campaign style!
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

More updates as we continue our campaign:

Things have really picked up now that we are able to sail out into deep water and explore further afield!

We had an interesting explore around fort bastille, meeting new characters and sniffing about. We saw instantly the value of having a skirmisher here - that tantalising statue in the town square (just perfect for a new ship figurehead!) which you can't quite get to due to ZoC - that skirmisher skill training option at Dahazi beach suddenly looks appealing! (incidentally, we like the idea of being able to train for certain traits, really nice).

The figurehead concept is brilliant, as it adds a whole extra dimension to every recall - we've found ourselves stubbornly recruiting the wrong units for missions, because we really want to get them "blessed" (the blessing/bonus mechanic is a nice touch). Much griping when the other player's character lucks out on a blessing, on a totally inappropriate unit!

We don't know what this new figurehead does, but we really want to get to it to find out!
bastille-figurehead.png
When we heard about the mission from Captain Athos, we immediately set sail around-about Elixion looking for the elusive beast in question; needless to say, once we found our mark, the following mission was one of the more oddly enjoyable, albeit anatomically dubious mini maps we'd come across - and great use of custom terrain tiles! I'll say no more as it's a nice twist for players to discover.

One thing which we've noticed, and it would be nice to fix (but might be a wesnoth issue rather than a campaign issue) - player 1 always gets first turn and is in control of the ship when you are sailing around. If you want to let player 2 take control (to share the gaming out a bit), you have to end turn - but this advances the day count by 1 - it's not much, but if you do that often, (and we try to be fair and share) it does add up.

Is it possible to randomly (or alternately) alter the order of the two players? This would also be interesting on island maps, as it slightly changes tactics (e.g. positioning of healers, etc) and balances out that XP-gain imbalance which can creep in if you are second player

I don't know if that is fixable within the campaign, though?
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

So, just following on from that, a general comment, about the use of custom UI features (the right-click menu for the "ship's logs" and inventory) -

We got quite a fair way in to playing before we really paid enough attention to the campaign-specific help in there; I guess this may again be a limitation of the Wesnoth interface, but I wonder if anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for this kind of thing? Because it's an issue not just with Altaz mariners, but with a lot of campaigns where this is custom info you might want to access from the right-click context menu. If you aren't the active player, you can't read any of that stuff, but when you are not the active player is actually the perfect time to be reading up on that stuff, looking at missions, inventories, etc and being a bit more strategic, precisely while your buddy is busy smacking seven shades of the proverbial out of the nearest orc.

It would be nice if there was a means to do this, as it would (more generally) greatly enrich multiplayer.

Similarly, on the dialogs - I think I mentioned the long pauses for the inactive player while the active player is reading long sections of text - I like the text, and wouldn't want to change or reduce it - it adds a lot of flavour and immersiveness. But when only one player can read it at a time, you can get a very stop-start effect on play.

I've noticed that in some campaigns (e.g. the intro to the "haunted woods") there is actually some text on screen, telling the inactive player that the active player is reading a dialog - which I guess is somewhat helpful if the players aren't in the same physical space. That might help a little? I think the issue is really more deep in the Wesnoth UI.

On breaking up the dialogs - some of those exchanges can run to half a dozen frames - I wonder if it's possible to break the dialog down into multiple individual events, each triggering off the previous - I think(?) maybe this is done in some campaigns, when you get the camera focus jumping from one character to another (although, that in itself can be kind of distracting).

Again, I wonder if anyone has good suggestions for smoothing over this aspect of multi-play to make it a bit more fluid?

By the way, the log with all the outstanding missions you've heard about is a great help!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi Mike, this is amazing feedback. It's great to hear how you're getting along, and the suggestions are all useful.

I'm not sure how to mitigate the stop/start effect of dialogue in MP. I could break it up into smaller chunks I suppose. Let me know if you remember any bits where this was most noticeable - I'll see what I can do. However, I think we're hindered by the network waiting for everything in an event to trigger before showing it to the other player.

As for allowing players to access the help info, I think the ideal solution would be to have a custom section in the normal help menu (where you usually access rule games, unit descriptions, etc). I don't think it's currently possible to interfere with the help menu using WML, but this would be a powerful tool for those of us with add-on rules to explain. In the meantime, you can read the help section online on the first page of this thread. See here.

I'm looking forward to your next instalment. Do let us know about the difficulty of the battles, and what kind of order you approached them in. Good luck!
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

I had a quick check over the saved game back on Dahazi beach, when Hugo (randomly rechristened 'Jimbob' in our game - don't ask...) levelled up from L1 to L2. Definitely dropped his stats there. See screenshot before:
before levelling - ranged weapon 7x4 (was 4x4 before upgrades)
before levelling - ranged weapon 7x4 (was 4x4 before upgrades)
before.png (381.61 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
and then after:
after levelling - ranged weapon downgrade to 5x4
after levelling - ranged weapon downgrade to 5x4
after.png (404.75 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
At level 1, Hugo was 4x4 to begin with (although dextrous so boosted), but constantly used his ranged weapon (to avoid retaliation) so levelled up very quick on that one attack.
The same did happen with Lago, but he hadn't been using one attack so exclusively, so the effect was less pronounced:
before levelling - 6x4 and 8x3 melee (was 5x4 and 7x3 originally)
before levelling - 6x4 and 8x3 melee (was 5x4 and 7x3 originally)
l_before.png (372.52 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
and then:
after levelling - back to 5x4, 7x3
after levelling - back to 5x4, 7x3
l_after.png (372.3 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
I don't actually think we'll miss the extra damage that much; our characters already seem quite powerful. but probably worth looking into. The damage boosters are a nice twist on standard character levelling, by the way.

Incidentally, I'm playing Largo in the campaign (my friend is Hugo), which is unfortunate, as I'm not the biggest fan of melee-only weapons! I'd pay quite a bit of gold to pick up a basic ranged weapon (shops or somesuch, or training?). Hugo has raced ahead in terms of xp, sniping every passing orc we've encountered. but maybe i'm just a tad jealous!

Since I posted screenshots from them, we really enjoyed both the dahazi beach and elixion missions; after a few more story-driven sections, it was nice to do some more conventional fights with recruitment and small armies to field. Somehow, despite the small scale of the maps, they both still felt like very satisfying encounters. Difficulty-wise, I don't think they've given us too many headaches so far - but I guess these are still very much the warm-up fights! The level design is very nice, and we've enjoyed the way that, returning to the islands after the battles, the characters and dialog have all moved on in light of what has happened.
Last edited by mikeanthony on January 29th, 2018, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

One final thing I'll drop in before I sign off this evening - we probably spent far more gold than we should have on those early battles (foolish, wasteful pirates! Maybe that's why they weren't too difficult...), so we've been running a few trades, now that we can get into deeper water and move goods around a bit to get better prices. Having the prices in the right-click help menu is a big help, thanks for that! (although I wonder if a bit of random price fluctuation or a supply/demand effect might be interesting - so you can't flood an island with mountains of spice and still expect to get a high price for the N-th barrel? maybe I'm asking to be shot in the foot there!)

it has raised a question in my mind though - what is the practical use of the 'stash' locations? We've constantly been selling goods as soon as we get the chance, and (unless things change later in the game) it's not obvious to me that putting something in the stash is worth the round-trip, as the clock advances ever onwards. I guess if goods suddenly became scarce, or we were going to have our ship impounded or something, having a secret store would be very handy. If the prices did fluctuate with time, then stockpiling when times were good to cash in on a rainy day might make more sense. As it stands, I can't yet see much use to that feature.

Having said that, I do like the idea of having a hideout; I guess if anything, I'd like to see it utilised a bit more, in the mechanics of the campaign or just for flavour/backstory, although I'm not sure what that could look like; customising it a bit would be a nice touch (on that note we really enjoyed being able to christen our ships - nice touch!). Or perhaps have a few 'family artifacts' there, which when you move over them give a bit more back-story on the brothers? Or maybe some other temporary character boost or rare bonus that might make dropping in feel worthwhile? Altaz mariners is definitely one of the more immersive campaigns we've come across, to be fair; so any additional features of that sort would be icing on a very agreeable cake!
So... we'd like to put a few hammocks up, maybe a few family portraits... or just an ale house on the beach?
So... we'd like to put a few hammocks up, maybe a few family portraits... or just an ale house on the beach?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey Mike.
Seems you're making good progress. I already fixed the levelling bug on my local version. (It seems that in 1.13 changes made via unit.attack variables don't persist after levelling, which is odd.) Anyway, I'm glad that's the only bug you've encountered so far, and it's something you can overcome in the long term.

You can pretty much ignore the stash box. It was an earlier idea we never developed. The idea of customising your hideout is kind of cool though.

You mentioned above about losing a turn when you switch players on the world map. You won't lose a turn if red ends turn and blue continues play. Switching the order of the players would mess too much up in terms of battles and sides, unfortunately.
My current projects:
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Cheers Bob, you're quite right about the turns at sea - I hadn't noticed that the counter only advances going blue->red, so I can still hand over control of the ship at least once!

You asked about an example of quite a long dialog; we arrived on Morteau, and I guess the initial conversation with Sayer (persuading him to start a rebellion) is a good example; I didn't count, but there were a good dozen or more frames on that one. Might be an interesting one to investigate splitting up...

More on Morteau and our sailings southwards later, right now I need to get off to work! Have a good day!
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Another update from our play-through;

(First, one thing I forgot to mention; right at the start, on the Altaz Gaol map, there is a peasant who starts in an inaccessible terrain tile (14,21) - certainly with a quick character (hugo/largo), but possibly regardless, you can get to him to bash him before he moves into a defensible terrain, which means he doesn't act as much of a road-block! guess he was intended to be stood in the forest hex one square below?)

Ok, picking up where we left off last time;

with our new ability to sail further afield, we headed southwards along the east side of the map; we didn't make it over to the west side yet. We found ourselves in Greystone port first, where we got very little information out of 'rusty' (who seemed to be in charge), so after picking up a few other bits of information from the islanders, we sailed onwards. We briefly looked around on Newhart, but didn't feel at all easy hanging about on an island with the oddstray cockatrice about, so we sailed west instead and found the island of Morteau. Crumbs! that was quite a close one! We don't have any followers now, since we lost the ogres; so it was just the two of us (we'd realised it was orange on the map, so we were expecting a bit of a scrap, but we had a bit of gold from our recent trading, so weren't too worried. We were a bit wrong-footed by the fact that there was nowhere to recruit on this island, so it was just the two of us and the "locals". Glad we were both at least level 2 before we got here, or we'd have been in big, big trouble! Even as it was, it was a close thing, and we got fortunate that Largo got fully healed from levelling up to L3 mid-way through having almost been wiped out the turn before! It was a good level, but I think an additional village for healing near the eastern keep would have been helpful. Or maybe we just missed a better tactical approach. I would say, by the time we survived the main wave, the final fight was a bit anticlimactic; it might be a bit much to make the enemy a level 3, but a few more hit-points wouldn't hurt perhaps. Or a few extra minions hanging close to his keep.

If the heroes wandered here and one or both were still level 1 (just about conceivable?), I'd be tempted to give them some sort of escape mechanism (as far as I can tell, once you're engaged, there's no going back until the battle is won) - so they could come back and tackle the fight another day, when they had levelled.

Anyway, after all that, we found our way inside the lair of our now deceased foe, and very much enjoyed the furnishings...
...pull the lever? Do I want to pull the lever? (Do you even need to ask that question??)
...pull the lever? Do I want to pull the lever? (Do you even need to ask that question??)
pull-the-lever.png (63.86 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
Little touches like that are rapidly making this my favourite Wesnoth multiplayer campaign to date!

In the event, we did "pull the lever" on Largo, but I guess there's always the option to go visit Elixion.

Definitely missing those ogres! (It would be kind of nice if they got a subsequent mention, having been good companions in the first few missions; be that a brief reappearance somehow, or some reference in a passing conversation somewhere to their fortunes subsequent to our parting...

Anyway, Morteau ticked off, for now, although we'll have to find a way to "tidy up" that lair, as requested
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:You can pretty much ignore the stash box. It was an earlier idea we never developed. The idea of customising your hideout is kind of cool though.
Ok, this might be a bad idea;

What if your spare figureheads are stored on your hideout island, and if you wanted to switch them, you had to sail there and do the switch?

This might be making things needlessly difficult for the player, and might make a nice game mechanic a bit too clunky - but I'm aware that we've been swapping that figurehead like crazy from one recruit/recall to the next; (the figures must be getting dizzy!) - it might make the choice of figurehead a bit more strategic, as you'll not be able to quickly switch it for a while. Maybe the ship could carry two at a time, one active and one in reserve.

Can't decide if that's a good idea or not. I leave it with you.

I think we talked about the problem if you burn all your gold right at the start of the game (when you need a certain amount of gold to get out onto the open sea) - maybe the hideout could have a function here; you could go there if you were broke and spend a few turns 'harvesting' (fishing? distilling? mining? woodcutting?) to claw back enough gold to get back in the game. This could be a time-limited option which disappears once you are up and away. (Although, you might have worked out a better mechanic for dealing with that problem now)
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

A final couple of questions for now, about Fort Bastille (we popped back there to hunt for Crow's buddy)

- Jessip mentions a bank in the town centre; is this no longer there? I can't see anything that's obviously bank-like?

- Hike tells us all the shops are closed; what shops should there be? I'm guessing it's the three tents pitched around the open space on the south side of the island by the docks?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Nice work on Morteau, I can see why it might have been a surprise. Glad you had fun with 'the machine'.

Managing your gold is one of the challenges of the campaign. We included the option to raid Farmville as a tempting way out in the early game. However, once you get trading you should be good for gold.

By the way, the bank was removed (it used to be where the statue is now), I forgot Jessip mentioned it. Hike's message about the shops was kind of an in-joke because we could never decide whether we wanted shops or how they'd fit in. I think there'll at least be a tavern in the next release.

Just so you know that your feedback is being taken seriously, I've already reworked the Morteau battle, cut up some of the dialogue and added unique unit descriptions for the mariners with a bit of a backstory. I'm not sold on the Hideout/Figurehead idea, but I do like the idea of the Hideout having something worth returning for. I'll give it a think.
My current projects:
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

I think you're right about the figureheads idea; too clunky a mechanism...
Still trying to think of features for the hideout that would really add interest and/or value
A 'training camp' - spend a few gold / miss a few turns to gain a nominal amount of xp on a character?
(thinking about it, the recall cost would be a high entry-point anyway, so probably just that is enough; could make it a once per visit thing...)
Maybe a fortune teller / "wise man" castaway (bit of a 'wandering jew' type figure), who you could visit for tips / clues to help you
Maybe a shipwright's hut, where you could go to upgrade your vessel slightly, for a cost (but then, why would that exist on an otherwise abandoned island?)
don't have any perfect answers...

Anyway, on with the ride:

With Morteau behind us, we sailed north to Reef Town (steering well clear of any red locations, for the time being!)

I should mention, we've had a few skirmishes at sea now; those have been enjoyable diversions; I think we made the classic mistake of over-spending; on the first fight we met, we recruited two or three units each, only to realise at the end that the one casket of gems we got in return was a rather bad economy on the deal... as you say, it's all about the money management! The second time around we were more prudent, which made the fight a tougher affair

Reef town was an interesting one, being the first location we've found where we couldn't get out of the boat; nice layout, nice thema, and nice NPC dialog and interactions. We enjoyed the junk sale! (More tat for the inventory - huzzah!) I think I've worked out what to do with one of those items already...

So we came to Ivory tower - where I should report a little graphical glitch; there are two dodgy hex tiles, at locations 40,40 and 40,41 - which seem to never display properly (this, after several re-visits and re-loads to see if it was a temporary glitch)
dud tiles - 40,40 and 40,41
dud tiles - 40,40 and 40,41
Anyway, beyond that, an interesting location, and nice graphical layout! The bazaar: more tat to buy, double-huzzah! (what is any of this stuff for? It's ruddy pricey, that's for sure! we aren't filling our designer bags just yet; that gold was hard enough to come by...) - the teleporters: brilliant, a great time-saver! And then the scorpions... that was tough! they had us zone-locked, trapped out on the sand a long way from any healing, it was a very close-run thing! (Thankfully, earlier on I wasn't able to resist playing with Dr Morteau's toy - without that bonus, we'd have been done for!). A word of warning, or a hint-drop, might be worth it here, or else a couple of heedless pirates could meet a sticky end as toxin-pincushions! Maybe have pirate #2 (whoever doesn't talk to Wuhac) say something like "scorpions? as in, poisonous scorpions? as in, lots of them?", to an affirmative response from Wuhac / "are we sure this is a good idea?" - just a thought. I guess most players would just save/reload if they ran into a situation like that, although some might like forewarning before they get stung (literally!). But the fight was winnable, with care, and the reward was appropriate.

Anyway, on to Elixion, to sort out that pesky curse... but as soon as we got there, we found ourselves called back to the Ivory tower, in less peaceful circumstances!

This was a great little mission; fast-paced, lots going on, nice 'artwork' (good use of red paint ;) ) - and the message from the signposts was superb! (I love the fact you've packed more character into those signposts than you get in the main protagonists of some campaigns! It's like the distilled essence of a hardened, cynical transport for London operative, in a piece of wood... I'd actually like them to have a bit more dialog in the spotlight!)

The "negotiations" at the end were brilliantly piratey! I'd be tempted to make that a multi-choice dialog - give the player the option to negotiate, with maybe three options: if they are a bit sheepish, they'll get fobbed off, if they are too pushy, they don't get any extra, and maybe get booted off the island with less than their fair return, so it's about finding the delicate middle-ground; the fine art of bargaining with a man with a bigger sword than you!

(I like the way that the names of the generic soldiery here change before/after the battle; it wouldn't make sense if all the same names were there after half of them have presumably fallen in battle - but the ones who matter (for other plots/missions/shops) remain - nice touch)