A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

User avatar
Aetheric
Posts: 26
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 7:29 pm

A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Aetheric » January 22nd, 2018, 8:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm uploading my first campaign (actually, two) to the add-on server under the name ASanguineTale. It consists of a main campaign and a prequel set after the fall of Wesnoth. The main campaign, Ani's Legacy follows an RPG-like style, allowing the user to choose their path through the campaign (different sequences of scenarios) depending on choices made in battle or in dialog. A typical playthrough is 10-20 scenarios, though you can replay The Arena perpetually if you want to. There are a total of twelve different endings, 111 reachable scenarios, and the main character can have fifteen different unit types (depending in part on the story arc). After you beat it the first time, starting it again will show a "map" of the story arcs, as a hint of how to reach the twelve endings. The prequel, Ani's Quest, is intended to be played after Ani's Legacy, which tells the story of the murdered heroine Ani. It is a largely linear campaign that takes 18 scenarios to complete (total of 22 scenarios reachable).

I've also created a new faction, the Xenoi, to act as main protagonists or antagonists, in some story arcs of Ani's Legacy. They are weak in melee defense, and have disproportionately week level 2 and level 3 units. Their advantages are versatility, and level 4 units. They're probably not great for multiplayer because they are sub-standard in some common terrain types.

More story arcs are planned, including ones where the Khalifate, Drakes, a house cat, or Xenoi civilians save the day. The Khalifate and Xenoi, at present, are usually (and unfairly) shown in a negative light in most cases because of misconceptions among the other races. They'll have 2-3 more story arcs where they're the heroes. I'm open to other ideas for story arcs.

You'll find a few... odd... unit types in the campaigns. Flying pigs, mushwose (mushroom-woses), a race of rats, a "rock hero" (boulder lobber with "leadership"), spell-casting gryphons, a dragon chef, various bosses at levels 4-8, and a foul-mouthed ten-year-old silver mage ("Silver Brat" and "Gold Brat" unit types).

I haven't set up credits yet. I lifted a few unit types, terrains, and macros from other campaigns (~3% of the content). If you see your stuff in there, please tell me how to credit you. When I add credits in a later update, I'll be sure to include you.

Comments, suggestions, hate mail, etc. Let me know.
Last edited by Aetheric on January 23rd, 2018, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Aetheric

User avatar
Xara
Posts: 263
Joined: December 26th, 2014, 12:23 am
Location: Beijing

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Xara » January 23rd, 2018, 4:04 pm

The campaign is of great quality. Hard to believe it's already so polished at the first post. Not a fan of many of the maps though, really don't like fighting on them.

Played on easy, and I finished the line of Warrior Queen.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons

User avatar
Aetheric
Posts: 26
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 7:29 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Aetheric » January 23rd, 2018, 5:54 pm

Hi,

One of my deep, dark, secrets is that although I'm an ace at WML and artwork, I'm only mediocre at playing the game. Players more skilled than I may have advice on how to improve the maps. I'm open to ideas, and additional developers (if you have a lot of time on your hands).

Also, it hasn't been tested well at the lower difficulty setting. Only the middle one is thoroughly tested. I suspect the middle difficulty setting may be more like "normal" than "hard," and the lowest difficulty setting may be too easy for most players.
Last edited by Aetheric on January 23rd, 2018, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Aetheric

User avatar
ForestDragon
Forum Regular
Posts: 1431
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by ForestDragon » January 23rd, 2018, 6:36 pm

Aetheric wrote:One of my deep, dark, secrets is that although I'm an ace at WML and artwork, I'm only mediocre at playing the game.
No need to be ashamed about that. The fact that you're good at WML/artwork is what truly matters. btw, I think yeti chieftain's melee animation could use an extra frame in-between frame 3/4, since the current progression is a bit too abrupt.
Last edited by ForestDragon on January 23rd, 2018, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned) and The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, temporarily abandoned again),XP Bank (now on 1.14),Alliances Mod(1.12, very buggy)
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

User avatar
Aetheric
Posts: 26
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 7:29 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Aetheric » January 23rd, 2018, 7:18 pm

ForestDragon,

The problems are that I don't know how to judge difficulty for expert-level players, and I don't know how to judge the playability aspects of maps for a broader audience. That is where I could use help from other developers.

Though, I must say that I am not entirely happy about Rakkon's story arcs (that's what Xara played through). Mindra, Foulmouth, and Bren-Jon are my favourite characters, so their story arcs got more attention that Rakkon's. (Especially The Arena.) The Khalifate story arcs will branch off of Rakkon's, so I may make major modifications to his when I add the Khalifate arcs.
Last edited by Aetheric on January 23rd, 2018, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Aetheric

User avatar
ForestDragon
Forum Regular
Posts: 1431
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by ForestDragon » January 23rd, 2018, 7:22 pm

Aetheric wrote:ForestDragon,

The problems are that I don't know how to judge difficulty for expert-level players, and I don't know how to judge the playability aspects of maps for a broader audience. That is where I could use help from other developers.
oh, ok.
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned) and The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, temporarily abandoned again),XP Bank (now on 1.14),Alliances Mod(1.12, very buggy)
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

User avatar
Aetheric
Posts: 26
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 7:29 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Aetheric » January 23rd, 2018, 8:58 pm

ForestDragon wrote:I think yeti chieftain's melee animation could use an extra frame in-between frame 3/4, since the current progression is a bit too abrupt.
I'm curious. Where did you encounter the Yeti Chieftain? I ask because I'm wondering if anyone found the secret battle yet (without reading through the WML). The only other place the chieftain shows up is at the end of Dameos's story arc. The chieftain and his other L5-7 friends are rare because you really need +30 resistance buffing units, plenty of "slow," and units with very high HP, to survive such beasts.
-Aetheric

User avatar
ForestDragon
Forum Regular
Posts: 1431
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by ForestDragon » January 24th, 2018, 7:26 am

Aetheric wrote:I'm curious. Where did you encounter the Yeti Chieftain? I ask because I'm wondering if anyone found the secret battle yet (without reading through the WML). The only other place the chieftain shows up is at the end of Dameos's story arc. The chieftain and his other L5-7 friends are rare because you really need +30 resistance buffing units, plenty of "slow," and units with very high HP, to survive such beasts.
oh, I just briefly browsed through some of the unit images. Though I'll try playing the campaign when I have a sufficient amount of spare time.
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned) and The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, temporarily abandoned again),XP Bank (now on 1.14),Alliances Mod(1.12, very buggy)
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

User avatar
Aetheric
Posts: 26
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 7:29 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Aetheric » January 24th, 2018, 1:10 pm

ForestDragon,

As per your comments on the animation itself, I made the Yeti Chieftain ca. 2013 back before I knew how to do unit animations. He's just a frankensprite. You can see my better work in the more recent units. Look in images/units/xenoi/nightmare-rider, images/units/half-dryad/, images/units/rats, and images/units/princess. I'm not going to bother redoing the Yeti Chieftain until I decide to finish the Apocalesus campaign; he was design for that one, not Ani's Legacy. I just have him show up in a few places where Apocalesus campaign characters appear.
-Aetheric

User avatar
ForestDragon
Forum Regular
Posts: 1431
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by ForestDragon » January 24th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Aetheric wrote:ForestDragon,

As per your comments on the animation itself, I made the Yeti Chieftain ca. 2013 back before I knew how to do unit animations. He's just a frankensprite. You can see my better work in the more recent units. Look in images/units/xenoi/nightmare-rider, images/units/half-dryad/, images/units/rats, and images/units/princess. I'm not going to bother redoing the Yeti Chieftain until I decide to finish the Apocalesus campaign; he was design for that one, not Ani's Legacy. I just have him show up in a few places where Apocalesus campaign characters appear.
ok.
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned) and The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, temporarily abandoned again),XP Bank (now on 1.14),Alliances Mod(1.12, very buggy)
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

warlon
Posts: 2
Joined: December 20th, 2014, 11:24 am

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by warlon » January 25th, 2018, 11:57 am

sry...but i have a problem...

i had downloaded it, but it isn`t i can`t find it in my campaign list^^

oh...it is working now after i had closed the game and started it new^^

User avatar
Aetheric
Posts: 26
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 7:29 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Aetheric » January 25th, 2018, 1:43 pm

warlon wrote:sry...but i have a problem...

i had downloaded it, but it isn`t i can`t find it in my campaign list^^

oh...it is working now after i had closed the game and started it new^^
I have never seen that happen with any add-ons, and I don't think that is the expected behaviour of BfW 1.12.x. If you can reliably reproduce the bug, you should consider filing a ticket in the BfW bug tracker. However, because you have a workaround, it doesn't seem like a critical bug.
-Aetheric

User avatar
Xara
Posts: 263
Joined: December 26th, 2014, 12:23 am
Location: Beijing

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Xara » January 26th, 2018, 11:35 am

So far I've figured out the path to 6 endings.
Spoiler:
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons

User avatar
Aetheric
Posts: 26
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 7:29 pm

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Aetheric » January 26th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Xara wrote:So far I've figured out the path to 6 endings.
Ah, but have you found the secret battle?
-Aetheric

User avatar
Xara
Posts: 263
Joined: December 26th, 2014, 12:23 am
Location: Beijing

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Xara » January 26th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Aetheric wrote:
Xara wrote:So far I've figured out the path to 6 endings.
Ah, but have you found the secret battle?
No. As you have seen, I've never chosen Mindra. It just doesn't make sense to choose Elf after that prologue.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons

Post Reply