New trait idea

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Yomar

New trait idea

Post by Yomar »

I think it would nice to give to the mages the possibility to get a special trait (also considering their hight cost) during the recrutment phase (like fearless one of the Heavy Infantry)
I would call it "talented", giving to the unit with this trait +1 dammage to ranged magical attacks.
Of course the unit will still get only the usual 2 traits, getting the talented trait in place of an another one.
It shoul be not too difficult to add it to the game, maybe it can be inserted in Wesnoth V.1.13 or the next version of the game.
Ops, but I'm going too forward now, sorry.
Well, for now its just an idea, but I tought that it would have been nice to add something new to the game, even if it's just a small thing like this.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
ForestDragon

Re: New trait idea

Post by ForestDragon »

to be honest,i like the idea of a renamed dextrous trait, considering a lot of other trait ideas were much more unnecessarily complicated and unbalanced
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

To be honest initially my idea was ti give one extra shoot to the Unit with the talented trait, but that would completely screw up the game balance.
So I changed It in something less drastical.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Alex-Stargazer

Post by Alex-Stargazer »

Yomar wrote:I think it would nice to give to the mages the possibility to get a special trait (also considering their hight cost) during the recrutment phase (like fearless one of the Heavy Infantry)
I would call it "talented", giving to the unit with this trait +1 dammage to ranged magical attacks.
Of course the unit will still get only the usual 2 traits, getting the talented trait in place of an another one.
It shoul be not too difficult to add it to the game, maybe it can be inserted in Wesnoth V.1.13 or the next version of the game.
Ops, but I'm going too forward now, sorry.[

Well, for now its just an idea, but I tought that it would have been nice to add something new to the game, even if it's just a small thing like this.
I second this—a worthy addition to the expensive and (in my opinion) underpowered mage. It seems silly that the elvish archer can get the dextrous trait (+20% damage) but not the slower, more fragile and more expensive mage.
The dwarf Lord said to his guardsman: 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?'

The guardsman replied, 'Only a fool could get a guardsman killed.'
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I would be against this trait (and I think that multiplayer experts would be too) mostly because of the impact it would have on against undead; a talented mage during day could completely demolish a skeleton/skeleton archer in a single turn. Right now the skeletons have just barely enough hp to survive a perfect attack, which I think was intentional.

Also, (less importantly) a talented mage would do MASSIVE damage against woses.

On a different note, supposing this change did happen, why make a new trait, talented, instead of just re-using dextrous? I imagine that precise hand movements (swish and flick!) are part of spell-casting, so it would make sense for a dextrous mage to be more effective.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
lea

Post by lea »

it is easy to code such a trait in WML (I did it for my custom era).

in mainline it is limited to elves because elves are the only mainline race in which all units have ranged attacks. otherwise having dexterous trait would be wasted for any unit without ranged attack. (in my custom era all units of all races have ranged attacks, unlike mainline)

it is possible to add a trait as specific to certain unit types but it seems to be against mainline's design principles (undead trait is added to undead race as a whole, not specific units of undead race)

and I bet that (human level 1) mage wins a duel with dexterous elven archer with about 60% chance as mage hits considerably more often, especially in rough terrains (because of "magical" attack special)
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Magicians already have an attack with 60% cth and elemental dmg type, sometimes multiple, they do not need such an even more dmg trait.
I rather suggest an "wise" trait that gives one extra xp per target's level upon kill. This could help them level slightly faster for those that have got it.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Eagle_11 wrote:Magicians already have an attack with 60% cth and elemental dmg type, sometimes multiple, they do not need such an even more dmg trait.
I rather suggest an "wise" trait that gives one extra xp per target's level upon kill. This could help them level slightly faster for those that have got it.
It's called intelligent and rather unpopular.
Try out the dark board theme.
lea

Post by lea »

Eagle_11 wrote:Magicians already have an attack with 60% cth and elemental dmg type, sometimes multiple, they do not need such an even more dmg trait.
70% ;)
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Shiki wrote:
It's called intelligent and rather unpopular.
I meant the mage can get both intelligent and wise, then that one will be leveling super fast.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

one extra xp/kill isn't all that much.
Normal mages ( in a 70%exp multiplayer) need 38 exp -> 4 kills +6xp ; Intellegent mages need 30 xp -> 3 kills + 6xp; the wise trait would only reduce xp cost by maximal 4, so it becomes rather useless. it needs 2 or 3 xp/kill at least.

The first suggested trait (talented) is a bit too strong, but it could be edited to only have an effect at higher levels, so it doesn't affect balance that much (so +0dmg on lvl1, +1dmg at lvl 2-4).
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Since dont want to open up an new thread will post in this, hoping thats ok.
Would this idea be worth a damn, or should swap out the malus for something else, like -1 damage ?

Code: Select all

#define TRAIT_EXI_WISE
    #mages with trait wise have dedicated themselves to study, this dedication have rendered their bodies frailer however. 
    [trait]
        id=exi_wise
        male_name= _ "wise"
        female_name= _ "wise"
		description= _ "Units with trait Wise level much faster, but suffer in maximum hitpoints."
		[effect]
			apply_to=hitpoints
			times=per level
			increase_total=-3%
		[/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=max_experience
            increase=-5%
	    times=per level
        [/effect]
    [/trait]
#enddef
Another idea i have got, is to rework loyal trait so that its decreasing upkeep value of unit by -1, so the unit isnt free but cheaper, maybe can make it so that cuts its recall cost in half.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

1. How is this different from "intelligent" besides being strictly worse?
2. Loyal is campaign only and it's good the way it is.
Xara

Post by Xara »

I think the simple and impactful effects have been almost fully explored. If you want to add more meaningful traits, maybe you can try to combine a few traits into one, like "strong, resilient, but anti-quick", or "quick, strong, but anti-intelligent".
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons