Can Add-Ons Overwrite Core Title Music?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
sdmr

Can Add-Ons Overwrite Core Title Music?

Post by sdmr »

I have a feeling this isn't possible, but I thought I should ask. I tried including the following in the add-on's _main.cfg, but it seemed to have been completely ignored:

Code: Select all

[titlescreen_music]
    {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}
    [music]
        name=custom_music.ogg
        ms_before=12000
        append=yes
    [/music]
[/titlescreen_music]
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Can Add-Ons Overwrite Core Title Music?

Post by doofus-01 »

I have no idea, but I'd hope it's not possible. Since title music plays before anything is selected, the only way it could work was if you didn't honor the pre-processor containment, and if more than one person tried to pull this stunt, results would be unpredictable.

I'm just wondering, this wouldn't be an attempt to leak the new theme music ahead of time, would it? :annoyed:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

doofus-01 wrote:I'm just wondering, this wouldn't be an attempt to leak the new theme music ahead of time, would it? :annoyed:
How would somebody “leak” something that’s already there in a public repository and a publicly released version, just unused?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

shadowm wrote:
doofus-01 wrote:I'm just wondering, this wouldn't be an attempt to leak the new theme music ahead of time, would it? :annoyed:
How would somebody “leak” something that’s already there in a public repository and a publicly released version, just unused?
Oh, I dunno, by making an add-on? :?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

doofus-01 wrote:
shadowm wrote:How would somebody “leak” something that’s already there in a public repository and a publicly released version, just unused?
Oh, I dunno, by making an add-on? :?
If you don't want people to use it for anything, then why was it added prior to 1.14 itself?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
sdmr

Post by sdmr »

Thanks for answering! I was pretty sure that was the case too, but I felt that I needed to ask since it also gives some insight on the limitations of how modular the add-on system is.
I'm just wondering, this wouldn't be an attempt to leak the new theme music ahead of time, would it? :annoyed:
It's actually completely unrelated, but I also don't think it's controversial if someone else were to do so since as shadown mentioned, the song is already in the public release version of Wesnoth.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

sdmr wrote:It's actually completely unrelated, but I also don't think it's controversial if someone else were to do so since as shadown mentioned, the song is already in the public release version of Wesnoth.
My main issue with your plan was that you planned to hijack the title music. My guess that you were trying to push the new theme may have been wrong, but it doesn't matter much. How did you plan to implement this, assuming such a tag would work?
Pentarctagon wrote:If you don't want people to use it for anything, then why was it added prior to 1.14 itself?
I expected pointless grief from certain parties, but please don't you get started too.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

doofus-01 wrote:
sdmr wrote:It's actually completely unrelated, but I also don't think it's controversial if someone else were to do so since as shadown mentioned, the song is already in the public release version of Wesnoth.
My main issue with your plan was that you planned to hijack the title music. My guess that you were trying to push the new theme may have been wrong, but it doesn't matter much. How did you plan to implement this, assuming such a tag would work?
Pentarctagon wrote:If you don't want people to use it for anything, then why was it added prior to 1.14 itself?
I expected pointless grief from certain parties, but please don't you get started too.
“Pointless grief”? Excuse me, but as a fellow content creator yourself you are well aware of how Wesnoth works. Anyone can look at the assets bundled with the game, they are not packed into a proprietary archive format of some sort or lumped into a password-protected zip file, and they are all provided in formats anyone with the right software can visualize without the game’s help. Anyone can use them, because they are either GNU GPL v2+ like the game engine, or provided under CC BY-SA. The only one who started pointless grief here is the person who accused the OP of trying to “leak” something that’s a freely available part of the game and already distributed in a public VCS and in a public release to boot (1.13.10).

If you don’t want “leaks” in open-source software, simply don’t release the content in question and instead just keep it under wraps until it’s the right time, it’s as simple as that. Once it’s out, it’s out forever.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Let's not devolve into an argument. To clarify the situation, I did commit (with doofus-01) West's new track, which is intended to be the new title screen/game theme. It is in the repository and the data files, but has not been wired in yet. I intended to make it the title screen music for the 1.14.0 release. The track is not a secret by any means - it's commission was discussed publicly on the forums. However, I'd like to ask that it not be used in any addons until the 1.14 release. Obviously we can't stop you if you want to, but we'd greatly appreciate it. :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It is not reachable from addons, but you can overwrite files locally in data/core/music.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

You can also change it locally for yourself via data/game_config.cfg.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code