Blessed Altar Mod (BAM)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dinosaur

Re: Blessed Altar Mod (BAM)

Post by Dinosaur »

ForestDragon......Thanks for the help... :D

This is not my day.... I just spent 2 hours working on a response to your posts... and Power Outage... Lost everything.... so here's the short of it.

First I don't think I will need a Preload either... I can't do anything anyway until the Player decides to boost or not in turn 1. So 'unit placed' boosting at that time is not really possible for scenario 1. I think I have come up with a much simpler solution. Since an action is required to trigger events capable of boosting. I am going to write an attack event so that if boosting is on and the a unit being attacked or attacking has not been boosted then I'll boost it... It will be like the units wakeup call.

I know the menus are a lot. especially at first.... Lots of functions and discovery ... and there is a learning curve involved in just knowing what the thing can do and how to use it. The Help Documentation explains much but who reads these days .. Both you and The_GNAT suggested UNIFORMITY so when I get a chance I'll try to dull it down. I might mention that 'double clicking' on options is the best way to get around. (Ironically, I spent hours with wording and colors to avoid uniformity) :lol:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Dinosaur wrote:ForestDragon......Thanks for the help... :D
you're welcome! :)
Dinosaur wrote:First I don't think I will need a Preload either... I can't do anything anyway until the Player decides to boost or not in turn 1. So 'unit placed' boosting at that time is not really possible for scenario 1. I think I have come up with a much simpler solution. Since an action is required to trigger events capable of boosting. I am going to write an attack event so that if boosting is on and the a unit being attacked or attacking has not been boosted then I'll boost it... It will be like the units wakeup call.
if what you are saying is the case, then how about just boosting units right when a boost is selected in the menu?
Dinosaur wrote:I know the menus are a lot. especially at first.... Lots of functions and discovery ... and there is a learning curve involved in just knowing what the thing can do and how to use it. The Help Documentation explains much but who reads these days .. Both you and The_GNAT suggested UNIFORMITY so when I get a chance I'll try to dull it down. I might mention that 'double clicking' on options is the best way to get around. (Ironically, I spent hours with wording and colors to avoid uniformity) :lol:
ok. btw, idea: you can put options like the following into [modification] (the "id="s in [checkbox] are variables a yes/no value depending on what a player sets them to). like this the example below, you can use them if players are new to the mod and want a slightly simplified version, or want some configuration, etc.

Code: Select all

[options]
        [checkbox]
            id=disable_LOTI_item
            default=no
            name="disable LOTI items"
            description="insert description"
        [/checkbox]
    [/options]
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

ForestDragon
Still struggling along, I've been testing attack events. I have some working ability related attack events included from original LOTI code that I am trying to emulate. no success yet but I'm still hopeful.
if what you are saying is the case, then how about just boosting units right when a boost is selected in the menu?
I have no Idea how to do that.... In fact in a way that's exactly what I am trying to do. When BAM starts in a new campaign, I have no clue as to how many sides are involved who is enemy vs ally etc. there are different boosting factors for each, I would have to iterate through all units for all sides, of course if I ever figure out how to just boost the darn leader of the enemy side with out touching him. I could probably do as you suggest.

Let me try to show you what I'm dealing with, here are two events, both are "Predefined Events With Filters " so they come with unit data [see automatically stored variables in VariablesWML doc.]

[event]
		name=unit placed
		first_time_only=no
		[filter]
			side=1
			[not]
				ability="boost"
			[/not]	
		[/filter]
		{EVENT_BOOST_PLAYER $x1 $y1}
	[/event]
	[event]
		name=attack
		first_time_only=no
		[filter]
			side=1
			[not]
				ability="boost"
			[/not]	
		[/filter]
		{EVENT_BOOST_PLAYER $x1 $y1}
	[/event]
The first event works every time the second never does. The check, to see if Boosting is turned on, is done in the EVENT_BOOST_PLAYER macro. The only difference in these two events is the type of trigger.
ok. btw, idea: you can put options like the following into [modification] (the "id="s in [checkbox] are variables a yes/no value depending on what a player sets them to). like this the example below, you can use them if players are new to the mod and want a slightly simplified version, or want some configuration, etc.
sorry you lost me here... I'm totally unfamiliar with this. is it for turning off options? I could do that with [show_if] I thought it was the wording of the menu options that was unclear. Just taking the first page of the ALTAR menu, how would you make it clearer?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Dinosaur wrote:I have no Idea how to do that.... In fact in a way that's exactly what I am trying to do. When BAM starts in a new campaign, I have no clue as to how many sides are involved who is enemy vs ally etc. there are different boosting factors for each, I would have to iterate through all units for all sides, of course if I ever figure out how to just boost the darn leader of the enemy side with out touching him. I could probably do as you suggest.
if you want to filter the leader, you can use "side=" alongside "canrecruit=yes" inside the boost value without needing the coordinates (considering there's generally only 1 leader of a given side at a time) .If you want to filter the allies/enemies, you can use the following filters (put inside the unit filters). as for filtering all units, I am a bit unsure myself for now.

#allies:
                [filter_side]
                    [allied_with]
                        side=1
                    [/allied_with]
                [/filter_side]
#enemies:
                [filter_side]
 	 	    [not]
                    [allied_with]
                        side=1
                    [/allied_with]
		    [/not]
                [/filter_side]
Dinosaur wrote:sorry you lost me here... I'm totally unfamiliar with this. is it for turning off options? I could do that with [show_if] I thought it was the wording of the menu options that was unclear.
Well, the point of the [options] tag inside [modification] is to allow players to toggle specific variables before the mod starts. It's not really necessary, but could be useful in some cases.
Dinosaur wrote:Just taking the first page of the ALTAR menu, how would you make it clearer?
well, by uniformity: less colors, more labeling with "image="s inside [option]s, etc.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

ForestDragon...... Thanks for your patience...

I'm working on it..... :)
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hello all,
I have recently published a new release of BAM v,1.1.0.... I was previously running Wesnoth version 1.13.8 but when I tried to update the add-on server copy I was receiving the message "add-on rejected server is in read-only mode" after a couple of days of this I could no longer even connect to the add-on server because it was taken offline...... so. I guessed that I needed an update to a newer version.... and after searching release availability found that 1.13.14 is now generally available so I downloaded and installed this new release. To my delight the new add-on server connected and I was able to publish my MOD.. :D

However, it seems that some unknown changes were made in this new release that renders all of the images/icons/etc. that I worked for weeks to include as requested to no longer display. Log messages for all these .png files found in the data/core are as follows:
20180417 15:36:50 error filesystem: Not opening 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.13.14/data/core/images/items/brazier.png ' due to case mismatch.
20180417 15:36:50 error display: could not open image 'items/brazier.png '
20180417 15:36:50 error filesystem: Not opening 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.13.14/data/core/images/icons/book.png ' due to case mismatch.
20180417 15:36:50 error display: could not open image 'icons/book.png '
.... and so on for the vast majority of images used in this mod...

When I examined the core files in search of these images I could not detect any differences in their names or content???????
So does anyone out there have any clue as to what is going on here and how to fix it..... Your aid is greatly appreciated.... :D
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Dinosaur wrote: April 17th, 2018, 9:45 pm So does anyone out there have any clue as to what is going on here and how to fix it..... Your aid is greatly appreciated.... :D
Nope. But I'd advise you to update to 1.14.4 and try again. (If that does not work, maybe go to the WML workshop and ask there..? It's more likely that someone there can help you.)
Also, is this really a mod? Because on the add-on server it's listed as tpye 'Other'.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Konrad2. Thank you for your response. Sorry for the delay... I just underwent Heart surgery and haven't been up to snuff lately. I just updated to BAM 1.1.1 but am still working with 14.3 version of wesnoth. When I get time I'll try 14.4... I have always consider BAM as a Mod but when I originally Published it I was not sure if it qualified for the mod category as it is not written in pure lua code. I would be happy to publish in the MOD category if it is more prudent and acceptable. Thanks again for your help..... :)
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

I have just published v 1.1.2... Happy to say that Images and Icons are now working.... as usual my mistake
Solicitude

Post by Solicitude »

Since the last update it works in a very weird fashion. I start a campaign. First scenario i put some items and abilities on my units. At the next scenario, the items still appear to be there when you open the bam menu for each unit but they dont give anything. I press the "unequip & reequip" option, the item stats do apply but then every ability i have put on my unit gets "unequiped" and the option for "put into item storage/smash to get random gem/leave on flour" appears and, no matter what i choose, nothing happens and my units are left without the abilities i gave them. And this keeps happening in every subsequent scenario.

I tried removing the mod, clearing cache and reinstalling it but it doesnt fix the problem.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Solicitude, Thank you for your interest in BAM. Sorry for the delay in responding ( I really need to be more attentive).
Since the last update it works in a very weird fashion. I start a campaign. First scenario i put some items and abilities on my units. At the next scenario, the items still appear to be there when you open the bam menu for each unit but they dont give anything. I press the "unequip & reequip" option, the item stats do apply but then every ability i have put on my unit gets "unequiped" and the option for "put into item storage/smash to get random gem/leave on flour" appears and, no matter what i choose, nothing happens and my units are left without the abilities i gave them. And this keeps happening in every subsequent scenario.
First I have to ask "What campaign were you running BAM against? Unfortunately each different Campaign is somewhat unique and I need to test it'

I have seen this happen from time to time. I believe the issue is dependent on the particular Campaign and Scenario you are running BAM on. Generally speaking BAM only saves information about added items (weapons and armor) separately from the Campaign's inherent UNIT save information. Other changes applied through the BAM menu such as new Abilities, custom changes, exp, loyalty etc. rely on the normal store/unstore in the native campaign code. I have found that sometimes a campaign does not always restore unit infomation at the end of each scenario, because it does not know that it needs to. Most campaigns routinely stores all UNIT information at the end of each scenario thus it is not a problem. Also some scenarios don't actually RECALL some units but instead recreates them from scratch. This can result in Abilities and all manner of other goodies being lost because the Unit information is basically re-written. Then when you look at the information BAM had stored in the Menu its all out of sync.

I would like to test this and hopefully come up with an easy solution for you..... but I won't really know until I get a chance to test it myself.
What's the target campaign?? Plz
Thanks again for using Bam. :D
Solicitude

Post by Solicitude »

Sorry for the delay in responding
Dont worry about it. Real life things can some times take all the time. :D

Now onto the matter at hand. I was playing "Legend of the Invincibles", i know there is the possibility to mess things up, but before your last update there was no problem whatsoever. Right as you released the update i decided to start the campaign all over, cause i had done goofed and i hadnt played it that much either. So i start over, go to the second scenario and what i already describe happened. After that i tested it on all main-line campaigns and it happened in all of them. After some tries, i uninstall the game and clean everything related to it from my computer. Reinstall the game, install the mod and try it in all main line quests. And it happened in all of them again.

Now comes one weird part. I install "Legend of the Invincibles" again with BAM. I put some abilities and items in my units (this campaign gets pretty hard at some points) and start playing. Second scenario everything happened again, only this time there are some units that i dont use on the second and some scenarios to come. I recall them at some point after 6-7 scenarios. The stats from the items i gave them again didnt apply, so i go into their BAM menu and press "unequip & reequip". On the 2-3 first units i did this their abilities indeed disappear, but not on the rest which keep them normally. I experimented with my other units a little. On the next scenario the stats of all my units' items dont apply when i recall them, "unequip & reequip" and they get to keep the abilities i added them and also get the stats from the items.

Since then, this is the standard. I recall a unit, the stats from its items dont apply, "unequip & reequip" and everything returns to normal and they keep their added abilities. I tested it again on some of the main line campaigns. Everything happens again and again in a loop. I start a new campaign with both the problems i mentioned, on the road one of them gets fixed. Thus far tried it on "A tale of two brothers", "The south guard", "Heir to the throne", "Eastern invasion" and "The rise of Wesnoth".

Hope all this info can help. Sorry for the wall of text. :whistle:
But a really nice project overall. Just dont worry, even big games with millions of players have game-breaking problems and bugs at times!
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

I think it very interesting as to what is going on..... I am thrilled that you tried it with LOTI. In fact I just ran it with LOTI myself and was finally able to finish LOTI in its entirety for the first time. Although I am running on Windows 10, 32 version of Wesnoth 14.4. I still get a lot of crashes. Mostly because after several scenarios it gets an error saying that it can not Auto save... I can't manually save either so I have to end it and restart back at the last saved. It then can Auto save for an additional number of turns before it craps out again. But I do not experience any of the problems that you descibe with LOTI. So maybe we should try to get on the same page. So what platform and version are you running on?? (Windows, Linux, Etc.) And what Version of Wesnoth are you running??? I just Published BAM version 1.1.3 a few days ago. Also what version of BAM are you running?????

Now I think there might be a little confusion about Unequip and Reequip.
Since then, this is the standard. I recall a unit, the stats from its items dont apply, "unequip & reequip" and everything returns to normal and they keep their added abilities.
Unequip & reequip DO NOT WORK together.... they are separate functions. Just try using the "GEAR UP Reequip.." by itself..... and here's why.....

Unequip is meant to remove all the units GEAR IE. weapons and armour and store them in inventory. ( it does not remove any Abilities, level boosts, exp, etc. that were manually applied though the first page menu options.) This option (unequip) is a hold over from the original LOTI where when Delly or Argan were leaving the party, so you could keep there gear in inventory. I consider this option obsolete and not needed at all because you can get anything back simply by using the Altar and getting a new one. Furthermore, when you Unequip into storage the gear you just unequiped is not available for re-equiping because it is no longer stored with the unit. If fact the only way to get these Items back on the unit is to use "View the Item Storage" and selecting them individually to be re applied. I am considering removing this option completely so please don't use it for your problem.

Just try using GEAR UP! by itself. This option re-applies all the items listed on the unit and does not involve Item storage at all.

I hope this helps.... plz keep in touch... :D
Solicitude

Post by Solicitude »

Okey. My bad... I was indeed using the "GEAR UP" option but for some reason it was stack in my mind as "unequip & reequip"...

Im running Wesnoth version 1.14.5 with 1.1.2 BAM version (this is the previous one right?) and Windows 10 x64bit, which is the version notorious for having a lot of problems and bugs. Im assuming, since you dont have the same problems as me, there must be something wrong on my end. Ill upgrade to your latest version of BAM and see how this works out.

As for your problem, i think i know whats causing it, since i had the same problem with saving. After some hours working on it i managed to solve it. For me, and probably for you as it seems, the problem is "Cloud storage" which becomes the default folder for almost everything other than installation files. Add-ons, saves, cache etc. What i did is completely remove it. First i created a copy of any saves i wanted to keep. Then i did a clean uninstall of Wesnoth and then cloud storage. Went to my user folder to check if the cloud folder is still there. Then i used a program to clean and repair my registry, since most Windows [censored] like cloud are very persistent if you dont clean it. Again i installed Wesnoth and problem solved. Unfortunately if you just uninstall cloud the problem persists if not get worse.

Ill inform you about what i see with the new version of BAM.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Ok.. I forgot to mention that I have recently been expanding the rules when deciding which weapons can be taken and used by certain unit types but as a result sometimes the weapons name does not always change the attack name after it has been applied. When ever you TAKE a weapon look to see if the new weapon name appears or not. If it does not appear in the attack list the program is assuming that the unit is carrying the item but not fighting with it. This is meaningless really because, In either case the benefits of the weapon have been applied to the unit. Dugi explains this phenomenon in the Prelude of LOTI where just by carrying an item you still get the benefits of it. So if it is only the name of the selected weapon that is missing later you may be perceiving a problem that doesn't really exist.

For example: I recently have been adding some new weapons to the Item list and expanding the rules for attacks they can be used for: Claws are one such affected weapons. Lets say you have a Walking Dead unit with a TOUCH plague attack and you use the altar to select a CLAWS weapon. The expanded acceptance rule will allow the unit to take and equip the claws but the name of the attack still remains TOUCH. All of the new attributes, abilities, specials, etc are applied to the attack but the name of the attack does not change. Amazingly enough if you later level up the unit to a Gaunt who has a defined claws attack the weapons name will then be changed and appear automatically. I know there must be some code buried in the original LOTI that controls this name change, but I haven't found it yet. I would like to change it so that the attack name is changed to the weapon's name whenever a weapon is allowed to be carried and equipped.

Thanks for the info about cloud I thought I had that all turned off. But I am never sure, Microsoft can get pretty devious when it wants to. :D