[mainline] Changing the Dunefolk's(Khalifate's) race name

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

What should the Dunefolk's racename be?

Poll ended at January 8th, 2018, 9:57 am

Human (Dunefolk)
45%
Dunefolk
42%
Xalidi
No votes
Jinn
No votes
Sandfolk
No votes
Human
12%

Total votes: 33

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: [mainline] Changing the Dunefolk's(Khalifate's) race nam

Post by Pentarctagon »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:...where the heck did "Wesnonian" come from? Surely you mean "Wesnothian"?
Pentarctagon wrote:Speaking of which... the poll ended earlier today actually, so it looks like "Human (Dunefolk)" will be the new racename.
So that was the final vote? I mean, we're not doing one more between the two front-runners?
We could, though given how the votes went, the question at this point would effectively be whether at least three of the four people who voted for "Human" would instead vote for "Dunefolk" rather than "Human (Dunefolk)". It seemed like a fairly safe assumption to me that this wouldn't be the case, though if a second poll is wanted between just those two in order to be sure, there also isn't really any harm in doing one.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

It's a pity that no one pointed out how the Khalifate race was named before the poll started. :augh:
I was really sold on "Dunefolk Human" but alas...
Consider that "Human (Dunefolk)" will appear in the right-side bar in-game, in the unit infos. It's my only problem with it. :hmm:

Well, since that part it's translatable, I can still find a compromise with the translation team... :whistle:
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

The option that I picked won, but I think that a single vote is too small of a difference to make a decision in the first round. I'd like another round with the first two options.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

For what it's worth, I don't think it would be worthwhile to run a second poll. At worst, some of the people who participated the first time wouldn't show up. Better stick with the results. And "Human" is similar to the winner.

Separate idea: in the Help, it shows as "Human (Dunefolk)", but in the right hand panel in-game it shows as just "Human". What do you think? Too confusing?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

Sapient wrote:Separate idea: in the Help, it shows as "Human (Dunefolk)", but in the right hand panel in-game it shows as just "Human". What do you think? Too confusing?
It's more elegant. It would depend. If they aren't mechanically different from Wesnothian Humans, this would be the best solution. If they are, I'm not sure, but it's worth considering.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Kasdel wrote:
Sapient wrote:Separate idea: in the Help, it shows as "Human (Dunefolk)", but in the right hand panel in-game it shows as just "Human". What do you think? Too confusing?
It's more elegant. It would depend. If they aren't mechanically different from Wesnothian Humans, this would be the best solution. If they are, I'm not sure, but it's worth considering.
They aren't as different as, say, the Drakes, but they are also the only units in mainline to have the liminal alignment, for example. My preference for the unit panel would be "Dunefolk Human" though, similar to how currently (at least in English) it's "Khalifate Human".
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

Pentarctagon wrote:My preference for the unit panel would be "Dunefolk Human" though, similar to how currently (at least in English) it's "Khalifate Human".
Bam! Add me on that! You can represent my interests now, and I can safely leave this topic. :mrgreen:

No, but seriously: I firmly agree with "Human (Dunefolk)" in Help and "Dunefolk Human" on panel.
Sapient wrote: Separate idea: in the Help, it shows as "Human (Dunefolk)", but in the right hand panel in-game it shows as just "Human". What do you think? Too confusing?
Uhmmm...It reminds me of something...
Xalzar wrote: "Human" cannot be: the units have a different namelist from other Human units, and they'll have a decription separated from them.
That is unless we name the race id "dunefolk_human" or something, and then keep the translatable names "Human", but I think it's a poor and possibly confusing solution. Uhmmm... :hmm:
...Nothing, I have no idea! :mrgreen: (joking :P)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The PR for the faction and race name change has been created here. There was a slight complication, in that the in-game Help menu uses the value of [race]'s plural_name attribute, and since "Human (Dunefolk)" isn't really a plural name, I instead went with "Dunefolk".
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

And the PR has been accepted, so they will begin showing up as the Dunefolk in 1.13.11 :)