Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kasdel

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by Kasdel »

I know it wasn't solicited, but I was looking through the campaign folders and encountered a fairly outdated sprite for TRoW's Logalmier (kalian-elvish-champion.png). I tried redoing it in the style of Jetrel's new elves.
Comparison between the current sprite, my try at redoing it and Jetrel's Champion
Comparison between the current sprite, my try at redoing it and Jetrel's Champion
elves.png (8.65 KiB) Viewed 15277 times
kalian-elvish-champion.png
kalian-elvish-champion.png (3.12 KiB) Viewed 15277 times
Or maybe an entirely different sprite might be preferred, to fit in with the portrait?
Feedback is certainly welcome.
Last edited by Kasdel on January 8th, 2018, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kasdel wrote:I know it wasn't solicited, but I was looking through the campaign folders and encountered a fairly outdated sprite for TRoW's Logalmier (kalian-elvish-champion.png). I tried redoing it in the style of Jetrel's new elves.
elves.png
kalian-elvish-champion.png
Or maybe an entirely different sprite might be preffered, to fit in with the portrait?
Feedback is certainly welcome.
That's a very good first post, welcome! :D

If there's anything I'd change on that sprite, and really there's very little need since it has so little screentime, is that I'd rather make the hand grab the sword's hilt. In fact, I'm not sure what that hand is doing currently; it's not resting against the hip (like the other hand is), yet it isn't holding the sword either; or if it is, then it's in a rather unnatural position and would be better off grabbing the hilt with the palm facing us.
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

zookeeper wrote:I'd rather make the hand grab the sword's hilt. In fact, I'm not sure what that hand is doing currently; it's not resting against the hip (like the other hand is), yet it isn't holding the sword either; or if it is, then it's in a rather unnatural position and would be better off grabbing the hilt with the palm facing us.
Thanks! :) Yeah, I see. It's a weird position. The hand was supposed to be holding the hilt, near the crossguard, but it's not really readable. It would indeed make a lot more sense to have it like in the original sprite.
Revised version with correct arm positioning and a more visible crossguard.
Revised version with correct arm positioning and a more visible crossguard.
kalian-elvish-champion.png (3.15 KiB) Viewed 15181 times
Alternate crossguard. Which one is better?
Alternate crossguard. Which one is better?
kalian-elvish-champion2.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 15181 times
I'm a bit partial to the alternate one. Also, the chainmail shading on the revised arm is probably going to be improved. It seems a bit too flat.
Currently, my main issue is that it's pretty different from the portrait. I can recolor some parts of this one to fit: the hair from gray to light-blond, put the blade on a TC scabbard and add some light-green tones, as well as other details.
logalmier.png
logalmier.png (154.12 KiB) Viewed 15167 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

the sprite looks great! :) I certainly agree that it would look better with blond hair, though.
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

ForestDragon wrote:the sprite looks great! :) I certainly agree that it would look better with blond hair, though.
Thanks! I'll make the portrait-friendly version the next time I get to it, then.
In the meantine, I've been playing around with the sprite of The South Guard's Deoran, which is one of the few requested things for mainline that (maybe) I can tackle, so here's my first attempt. I began with the Horseman sprite and changed the helmet into the portrait's winged one, added the red-white clothing and a belt, made the horse darker and changed the flag.
I feel like the leg's TC clashes with the red. Should I ditch TC completely, have it stay only on the horse, or keep it as it is?
deoran.png
deoran.png (3.94 KiB) Viewed 15152 times
Deoran's portrait.
Deoran's portrait.
deoran.png (240.62 KiB) Viewed 15152 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Kasdel wrote:In the meantine, I've been playing around with the sprite of The South Guard's Deoran, which is one of the few requested things for mainline that (maybe) I can tackle, so here's my first attempt. I began with the Horseman sprite and changed the helmet into the portrait's winged one, added the red-white clothing and a belt, made the horse darker and changed the flag
looks amazing!
Kasdel wrote:I feel like the leg's TC clashes with the red. Should I ditch TC completely, have it stay only on the horse, or keep it as it is?
I guess you can keep it as it is. the TC is going to be red in-game anyway.
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

New attempt at Logalmier. The chainmail is no more (though I can still bring it back) and it looks similar to the portrait. I used the green palette and hair palette of the new elves. Tried to add a sword sheath, but I don't think it's worth it.
Attachments
kalian-elvish-champion2.png
kalian-elvish-champion2.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 15067 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Kasdel wrote:I feel like the leg's TC clashes with the red. Should I ditch TC completely, have it stay only on the horse, or keep it as it is?
I would keep the legs, and I think you should TC the flag too. It will be red in the game anyway, but the unit would be more useful for UMC that way.

I'm not in charge of art in any way, but Logalmier looks finished to me. There is something I could suggest though. Why don't you make him gesturing with his free hand like in the portrait? Usually sprites are shown in a more neutral pose so they can be used in any situation, but this one is only going to be used for this one elf in a testy, gesturing sort of mood. (Though it will probably see use in UMC too.) The gesture would make it more unique.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Kasdel wrote:New attempt at Logalmier. The chainmail is no more (though I can still bring it back) and it looks similar to the portrait. I used the green palette and hair palette of the new elves. Tried to add a sword sheath, but I don't think it's worth it.
Nice :) I think that your art is great! I look forward to seeing more.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Latest Logalmier looks good. I don't have an opinion on the crossguard as both versions looked fine to me.

One thing that I did think it might benefit from is more expressive pixeling of the hand on the hilt (or if you follow beetlenaut's idea). Of course you only have about 6x6 pixels to work with there, but I think some kind of impression of fingers is still possible. I did try to make such an edit myself but didn't come up with a good solution, though, so no pressure. :hmm:

As for Deoran, just use TC. As was said, the player side is red anyway, so there's no problem with using TC for all the "red" parts. Or, if you want a different kind of red than the red team color palette allows, then of course you can skip TC altogether, but in this case it's probably not necessary.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Those look good.
On Logalmier, one idea may be to keep the chain pants but not the arms.
Deoran should probably ride one of the new horses.

edit: At an closer look, he seems to be already riding one of the new horses.
The female Archmage has no idle anim, noticed when have used arch-mage-idle as an substitute for an teleport animation for this unit.
Maybe an similar 5 frame idle animation can be made for her, where she extends her arm similarly then looks into that deck of tarot in her hand.
Sur_191

Post by Sur_191 »

I have found these Jevyan and Mal-Ravanal sprites, mady by Sleepwalker, in this thread. Anyone knows why they weren't mainlined?
Attachments
Jevyan3.png
Jevyan3.png (9.76 KiB) Viewed 14420 times
JevyanRavanal.png
JevyanRavanal.png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 14420 times
Creator of Wrath of the Lich Lords (abandoned).
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Highest probably because they werent ever animated.
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
New iterations of Logalmier and Deoran. I tinkered a bit with the white half of Deoran's shirt. It still leaves me a bit unsure (maybe I should make it all-magenta, since most of it is hidden by his hand and the perspective anyway). But that wouldn't be so faithful to the portrait.
Logalmier's got a new hand gesture and he's ready to crush some enemies.
Attachments
Red is now TC
Red is now TC
deoran.png (3.96 KiB) Viewed 13867 times
New hand gesture and a bit more detailing on the hands
New hand gesture and a bit more detailing on the hands
kalian-elvish-champion3.png (3.02 KiB) Viewed 13867 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The new Kaleh and Nym for Under the Burning Suns are still a Work In Progress, but from what I've seen of the portraits, I think these sprites could fit. I like the upper Kaleh better, but he may be too brawny. The guy in white in the NW corner is the sprite Jetrel made for the Quenoth fighter, before I got my filthy paws on it. I based Kaleh off of Jetrel's fighter. Both need some touch-up, but I wanted to see what others thought.
The lower sprites are the Quenoth Mystic->Shaman->etc., the bottom row are the current (perfectly serviceable, placeholder) sprites. I'll not commit to the lengthy attack animations, but once the base sprites are done, I'll give them defense/healing/leadership animations.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects