The Curse of Satan Claus

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Re: The Curse of Satan Claus

Post by ForestDragon »

Choicerer wrote:Oh, I meant the circle under a unit.
I see. well you can use the following to make the circle black (replace the insertimage.png with the path to the default ellipse (it's located in the /wesnoth/images/misc/ (not core, though))):

Code: Select all

[effect]
            apply_to=ellipse
            ellipse=insertimage.png~BLEND(0,0,0,1)
        [/effect]
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

And rest of UI you can edit with Lua, wesnoth.theme_items.unit_side() and side_playing(). Though going that far would likely be overkill already.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Thanks, guys.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

New version makes it so Satan no longer kills a unit occupying the central tile before he spawns, instead if it's occupied he will spawn next to it. That makes Auction X work (thanks to some random guy for the heads-up). It will be live in exactly
Spoiler:
It is live now.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

idea: besides the set_name, satan claus's melee should have set_icon with "attacks/scythe.png", considering the attack is blade/without drain. also, it would be a good idea to rename the wail attack to something like "laugh","cackle", or "ho ho ho" using set_name.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

These are good ideas and thank you. I have been getting around to changing the second attack's name ;) and also someone has suggested improving Satan's pattern of choosing victims so it's less random and more evenly distributed between all players (which is a bit more work :( ). But it may happen.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

1.4 -
-You can now customize whom Satan will attack. The options are 1 - Satan will not attack a unit from the same team twice in a row / 2 - Will not attack the same player's unit twice in a row / 3 - Will not attack the same unit twice in a row / 4 - No restrictions. This means you can prevent Satan from barging in and slaughtering one player's units if there isn't anyone else around. He will then only attack once and fall back until he can find another player.
-You get a reward for killing Satan. You can choose between +5 hp, 1 mp, 1 melee or ranged damage.
-Changed his ranged attack name and the icon for his melee attack.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Choicerer wrote:1.4 -
-You can now customize whom Satan will attack. The options are 1 - Satan will not attack a unit from the same team twice in a row / 2 - Will not attack the same player's unit twice in a row / 3 - Will not attack the same unit twice in a row / 4 - No restrictions. This means you can prevent Satan from barging in and slaughtering one player's units if there isn't anyone else around. He will then only attack once and fall back until he can find another player.
-You get a reward for killing Satan. You can choose between +5 hp, 1 mp, 1 melee or ranged damage.
-Changed his ranged attack name and the icon for his melee attack.
nice! though I think the reward should be configurable too, and be percentile (for example +15% instead of the current values for hp/damage, and +1 for mp). and yes, the [effect]s support percentile values.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

And why do you think that?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Choicerer wrote:And why do you think that?
because numerical value bonuses benefit lower level units (or units less good with an attack, or with attack that has many strikes (like Cuttlefish)) significant more than the higher level ones (or ones who have few strikes on an attack, like Thunderer). with percentile values, the bonus is more proportional (for example, with +1 ranged damage, a Thunderer would only get an increase of 1 in total damage, while, say, an elvish archer would recieve 4 more total damage (19-1 vs 6-4, which is 19 vs 24 total), while with 15% bonus, the thunderer would probably get 2 or damage (20-1), while the elvish archer would still get 1 (6-4) due to wesnoth's percentage rounding up the amount)
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Yes, however my intention was to make the bonus as negligible as possible, because killing Satan is a team effort after all and who kills him might not necessarily reflect who's fought him the most.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Choicerer wrote:Yes, however my intention was to make the bonus as negligible as possible, because killing Satan is a team effort after all and who kills him might not necessarily reflect who's fought him the most.
I think you could store the amount of damage dealt to satan during each "attacker hits"/"defender hits" event against him, and then distribute the bonuses fairly accordingly to the damage dealt variable for each side.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Yeah, I suppose I could do that. Maybe in the next update then ;).
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Bugfix b fixes a bug that prevented setting Satan's number of strikes.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

bugreport, when playing on the current latest version (1.4.0c, if I'm not mistaken (or maybe 1,4,0b, not sure)) satan doesn't spawn on the turn he should, and instead the following error message appears in the chat:
error.png