Large scale battles

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BewareTheCarpenter

Large scale battles

Post by BewareTheCarpenter »

Has anyone experimented with battles involving like, 500 units on both sides? If so, how did you make them work?

My idea would be for the players forces to be divided into separate armies; let's say there's a big city being attacked from all sides and so you have four armies for the north, south, east, west.

Each turn four groups of reinforcements become available; (Let's say: four lancers and a knight, a pair of light mages, fifteen militia and one lvl five monster.) and the players decide, "the north gate is being attacked by units with poisen so they need more 'cure' units. The west gate is being attacked by hoards of low lvl units so I'll send the lvl 5 unit there because it has AoE attack, etc". After the player assigned the reinforcements, he/ she chooses one of the four sides to control that turn while the other 3 armies are controlled by the AI.

Therefore the player would still feel like he/ she was leading the entire army and orchestrating the overall battle, without making them need to control every unit which would make the battle take ages.

Open to suggestions!
zaimoni

Re: Large scale battles

Post by zaimoni »

This was attempted back in the Wesnoth 1.6 era. Plan on waiting ten to fifteen minutes for the AI to move all of its units at turn one.

The corresponding player-controlled army will need to be undersized to avoid taking multiple hours to execute one's own turn properly. (cf the finale of Hammer of Thursagan.)
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

There is a UMC senario where you have to fight against 1000 walking corpses and even though the AI is programmed to move around 50 units at once it still takes a lot time.
I doubt that anyone can take control over a 100+ unit army without getting bored after a few rounds.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The AI side of of this will probably take a decent amount of time regardless, though there are game options such as changing the game speed to 16x and skipping AI moves that could help. For the human side, it would help if there were a way to group units, so you can move 5+ units at once, though I don't know if there's a simple and easy to use way to accomplish that in an add-on.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

One can use simple_targeting=yes to make the AIs moves faster.
I don't know how big the effect is, but with 100+ units I would definitely use it.
Spoiler:
Edit: changed link to correct page
Try out the dark board theme.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Vyncyn the scenario you are talking about is extremely likely to crash after some turns when casting spells. I wouldn't say it works and I don't think having more powerful hardware would help much either.

If you want huge battles play Hero of Irdya.