Wesnoth 1.13.10 (1.14 beta 2)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revolting_peasant

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.10 (1.14 beta 2)

Post by revolting_peasant »

Pentarctagon wrote:I don't believe anyone on the Wesnoth project is responsible for how any distro packages the game
I realize that, which is why I didn't say "how come it's not updated on the PPA" - but I'm guessing some of the devs would be better at poking the PPA maintainer(s) about this. Full disclosure: I've just written the guy listed as the maintainer, but I also did that about 1.13.7 and he hadn't gotten back to me.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I seriously doubt any of us would have any more luck 'poking' a package maintainer than anyone else. You emailed him as a user; to be honest, that probably has more effect.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
revolting_peasant

Tad_Carlucci: You would think the maintainer of this kind of a repository would have personal contacts among the developers...
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

It's a PPA. So it's a safe bet the packager is someone like you (the generic user) who decided to try making a PPA. In itself, making one is not that hard. I sort of expect that most don't realize the long-term commitment it takes. Several packagers _are_ in the developers group, but many are not.

Remember, this is an all-volunteer effort. So it's not a case of someone "not doing their job" but more a case of their availability or priorities have changed. So, someone else who uses Ubuntu will have to step forward and make a PPA, or you'll have to build it by-hand.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

As far as building it from source, if your internet and computer are up to it, you can do it by:
  • Running this apt install command, assuming you're on Ubuntu 16.04. Later versions should work as well, but they will have different versions of some package names, such as boost, which can be located by searching here.
  • Run git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth.git wesnoth-dev
  • Run cd wesnoth-dev
  • Run scons, and wait for it to finish. If you know how many cores your PC has, you can also do scons jobs=<some number lower than the number of cores you have>
To update the git repository downloaded above:
  • Run git pull
  • Run the same scons command as above. All subsequent builds should also be much faster.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
revolting_peasant

Pentarctagon: Ok, fair enough, I was just being too lazy to figure out the dependencies. It builds fine and the build doesn't even take that long.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

revolting_peasant wrote:Pentarctagon: Ok, fair enough, I was just being too lazy to figure out the dependencies. It builds fine and the build doesn't even take that long.
Yeah, dependencies and their versions can be a pain to hunt down. I'm glad I could help though :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I was wondering if this is a bug that has been already fixed (since i am using 1.13.7):

When i load the campaigns list in 1.13 i see the list of SP modifications under the campaigns.

If i then load multiplayer, it loads the MULTIPLAYER definition and so when i next load the campaigns list i see the MP modifications under the campaigns. This is bad because not only can i not load the SP modifications anymore but also i can load MP modifications which probably will not work with SP.

Thank you :)
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

those mods probably are missing the type=sp key which is needed if they should only be usable in sp.

EDIT: to make it clear #if(n)def MULTIPLYER is currently not the intended way to decide whether a mod shoudl be avaiable in mp/sp, it's it's the type= attribute in [modification]
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

This is also quite possibly due to the wiki page for [modification] stating that the tag defines Multiplayer modifications, and did not document the type attribute at all. I've corrected both these issues.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay good :) , Yeah it seems that the add-ons are the problem (not wesnoth), since this is a new feature i guess not everyone has fully figured out how to use it. Thanks for the quick feedback.

(Also i was wondering if anyone had any comments on the price changes i had suggested)
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

My comment on price changes is just that you need to extensively test the mainline campaigns on medium and hard difficulties if you change the prices. That's where the price of level 2's matter. If you are going to give the AI opponents extra (or fewer) high level units you should have some idea what the effect is, or lower/increase the starting gold to compensate.
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

Kymille wrote:My comment on price changes is just that you need to extensively test the mainline campaigns on medium and hard difficulties if you change the prices. That's where the price of level 2's matter. If you are going to give the AI opponents extra (or fewer) high level units you should have some idea what the effect is, or lower/increase the starting gold to compensate.
This isn't the correct place for detailed price changes of level 2 units and should likely have its own thread.

That being said, there is more than the above testing with campaigns on medium/hard. IMO extra higher level AI units might well make it easier to complete on hard (where tactics are maybe more important) and only make medium difficulty more difficult. I would like to see (very minor) changes to the prices for some level 2 units for balancing as level 1's are also recruited at the same time and it makes sense to me to have this in balance. Speaking as a player rather than dev here.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Kymille wrote:My comment on price changes is just that you need to extensively test the mainline campaigns on medium and hard difficulties if you change the prices. That's where the price of level 2's matter. If you are going to give the AI opponents extra (or fewer) high level units you should have some idea what the effect is, or lower/increase the starting gold to compensate.
Coffee wrote: This isn't the correct place for detailed price changes of level 2 units and should likely have its own thread.

That being said, there is more than the above testing with campaigns on medium/hard. IMO extra higher level AI units might well make it easier to complete on hard (where tactics are maybe more important) and only make medium difficulty more difficult. I would like to see (very minor) changes to the prices for some level 2 units for balancing as level 1's are also recruited at the same time and it makes sense to me to have this in balance. Speaking as a player rather than dev here.
Okay thank you for your feedback! :) I will make a new topic (here) and start testing campaigns with the new price changes to see the effects.

@ Coffee - yes i agree that price changes will not have a simple change -> effect so it needs to be tested. Certain price changes may give some strategies an advantage while making other strategies fail.

As for lvl 1 units i am not even going to go there, it would probably take months jut to change a single unit... ^_^
Axiomatic

Post by Axiomatic »

I found a problem of this release in campaign "Descent_into_Darkness", scenario "A_Small_Favor_—_Part_2".
The gates in undeground can not opens. Save is attached
Attachments
СвТ-A_Small_Favor_—_Part_2_Turn_1+.gz
(31.95 KiB) Downloaded 558 times