[mainline] Melee "marksman"

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
revolting_peasant

Re: [mainline] Melee "marksman"

Post by revolting_peasant »

Transfermium wrote:Don't we have a Master at Arms as the name of the Lv3 unit in the Fencer line?
Yes, we do. Will edit my post. Although - we could theoretically change either that one, or Fencer, to something else.
revolting_peasant

Added a few more options I've come up with / have been suggested: Meleur, Ninja, and Wranger.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

This does bug me a little, but I'm not convinced a change is really worth it.

Option 2: This is quite viable, but I really like "marksman" for ranged attacks and don't think it should be changed.

Option 3: Of the rename options people have come up with, I think only "accuracy" and "precision" work at all. I feel like there might be a word that works even better, but the only thing coming to mind is "riposte" which is really quite different.

Option 4: If the ability were replaced with something else that has the same purpose, what would that be? I don't have any ideas on this front, but it could well be better than simply renaming the ability.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

'Marksman' for melee doesn't really bother me either; after all, a melee weapon increases one's reach, thus hitting the target (or the 'mark,' as it were) is in its own way a kind of ranged 'marksmanship.'

If we are changing the term (I don't really think breaking Wesnoth's legacy is an argument: ideas and terms should be as clear and logical as possible), then I'd prefer accuracy over the others.
revolting_peasant

monochromatic wrote:'Marksman' for melee doesn't really bother me either; after all, a melee weapon increases one's reach, thus hitting the target (or the 'mark,' as it were) is in its own way a kind of ranged 'marksmanship.'
I disagree. If you're fighting someone up close, person-to-person, you wouldn't call him a "mark". Nor are you usually aiming your sword at a specific point in/on their body which you might call a mark. So "Marksman" just doesn't work for melee.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

It's pretty common for a pickpocket or scam artist to pick a "mark" and then go after that one person. Maybe in the most literal sense of 1v1 you aren't going to pick a mark, but in a fight between multiple people on each side like Wesnoth shows us, it would be rather important to pick out a guy and be able to hit them without having the rest of the fight around you interfere. In that way you would have a mark. (In the case each unit on screen represents many people it's even more important to be able to pick out important marks and take them out to weaken the squad efficiently.)

Also while I'm a fan of marksman on melee is fine, just in case: Focus could easily be used as a rename and I haven't seen it suggested.
revolting_peasant

Deciton_Reven wrote:It's pretty common for a pickpocket or scam artist to pick a "mark" and then go after that one person.
You choose the mark for pocket-picking when you're away from him - you "mark" your target, so to speak.
hrubymar10
macOS Packager

Post by hrubymar10 »

Much bigger problem is it in other languages.

For example Czech have 'marksman' translated as 'odstřelovač' which means somebody very skilled with bow and only bow...

option 1 is not good idea IMO.

option 4 would be great :?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

That seems a bit suspect as a translation though, as in principle it would make sense in Wesnoth to use marksman on ranged weapons other than the bow... in fact I think even core does that, on the drake scout's breath weapon. In English the word implies someone who's good at hitting a target; they could be using a bow, or a gun, or darts.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

well, 'Swordsmanship' ?
'Warrior's Prowess', 'Melee Prowess', 'Melee Proficiency', 'Fencer's Merit',...
'Marksman' isnt that removed from reality actually, as standing army professional troops of medieval got distinguished by their Mark or Badges they had. Im fairly ascertain there existed an 'Mark of the Sword' bestowed upon Man-at-Arms in a military atleast once.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

swordsmanship would only apply to swords, so its not a good idea.

IMO, For melee units making a new ability seems best. Perhaps give it a minimum 50% CTH instead of marksman's 60 %. That would make it a kind of slight upgrade to melee fighting power and thus could be given to a variety of units - e.g. Duelist, Elvish champions, Assassins, basically anyone having a lot of grace and agility in melee combat.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Currently only the only units using marksman on melee are swordsmen, so "swordsmanship" would still works for mainline.
revolting_peasant

Vyncyn: You make a valid point, but "swordsmanship" is not an adjective.

I have another idea, though. How about "blade master"? While it doesn't apply to people with clubs, tentacles etc. - it does apply more widely than being a good swordsman.

(I still like Mêleur the best though, and it's as general as we need it to be.)
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Swordsmanship means "the skill of fighting with a sword" (source). Also, as a native English speaker, that's what I understand it to mean. The word doesn't say anything about being especially good at it. "Master" does. We could use "blade master" or "sword master" in mainline and "club master", "spear master", "hammer master", and so on as needed in UMC.

But, we also could just use "master" by itself couldn't we? We could have sword, blade, 7x4, melee, master. How is that any worse than longbow, pierce, 9x4, ranged, marksman? It's a short and simple word, it seems pretty obvious what it does as a special, and it can go with any weapon.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

beetlenaut wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 7:36 amBut, we also could just use "master" by itself couldn't we? We could have sword, blade, 7x4, melee, master. How is that any worse than longbow, pierce, 9x4, ranged, marksman? It's a short and simple word, it seems pretty obvious what it does as a special, and it can go with any weapon.
+1 :)