Blessed Altar Mod (BAM)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dinosaur

Re: Blessed Altar Mod (BAM)

Post by Dinosaur »

Since no one seems to know how to fix my unit missing problem, I have decided to go ahead and publish what I am calling a none beta release. However, when I tried to upload it I got "add-on rejected" email address not allowed (or some such). I do not reference an email address anywhere in the PBL file. I had such a statement in the beta version that is currently on the server but I removed it long ago from the one I am trying to UPLOAD. Perhaps I need to delete the old one off of the server first. SO... Is there a way to delete/remove the beta version from the server and then just publish the new one???? Also, I am not sure of the category that I should place this mod in. Currently I am using OTHER but I'm not sure that this is the best place. Since it appears to be the first and only single player MOD in existence.... ;)
Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.. :)
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

I am happy announce that, with the help of The_GNAT I have finally Published a new and greatly improved Version of BAM.

Blessed Altar Mod 1.0.1 is now available... for +1.13 users.. Please be sure to read the new documentation in the BAM HELP menu. For a while there I didn't think I was going to make it by Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Have a wonderful New Year.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi, i tried your add-on and think it is really good! Personally i don't think i will use it very often because i don't play many campaigns anymore, but nevertheless i think you have done a good job, and am impressed with the magnitude of the capability of your add-on.

The only thing i had a problem with was the menu system which is probably not as simple as it could be. Of course i figured it out soon enough but it might be worthwhile tweaking the menu system so that it is more intuitive.

For example if you recolor the buttons so that all the base options (to put down an alter and use it) are colored in green. And all the more complicated options are colored in yellow, and all the really advanced options are colored in red, that would make it easier to use. (i didn't really have a problem, but i had to click on most of the buttons before i could figure out how to do what i wanted to, and that might disincentivise new people to the game).

Also i didn't realize at first that placing an alter would not supply the coordinates of the location (i had assume it would put the alter next to me) so i didn't look to see where my unit was standing, which meant i had to do it again. Perhaps you could supply in the text field the current location of the unit that way you can type in whatever you want or just use the location you are at.

Lastly i accidentally typed in 19,23 into my x coordinate (thinking i was supposed to supply both :whistle: ) and then into my y coordinate typed 23. That unfortunately resulted in a alter at 19,23 and then an alter at 23,1 23,2 23,3 23,4 23,5 23,6 and all the way down the entire map for the second coordinate i had entered. Perhaps something could be done to prevent multiple coordinates being input or there could be a button to "Remove all altars" so that if someone does something silly like i did, they don't have to restart the scenario.

Also i heard from one of the developers that you should not use #ifndef MULTIPLAYER to define whether a modification loads or not because it can cause problems. For example if i load multiplayer first (the definition is loaded) then when i go to the campaign menu i will not have the option to load your blessed alter mod because the definition will still be loaded. Instead change your code to not have the #ifndef but include type=sp in your [modification] so that it only loads in the SP menu.

Keep up the good work! :)
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Oh goody news, hey thanks for the comments.... Yo! The_GNAT !THANKS! Ok.... here we go :D

I know what you mean about playing it seems playing has become more testing, but now they have melted into one thing I play to test.. so testing becomes playing. and it's still fun....and you can test this MOD in any scenario so testing is not nearly so boring.... :D
The only thing i had a problem with was the menu system which is probably not as simple as it could be
Yes I agree. And this mod is nothing BUT menus, indeed, there is a large menu both at the altar and the right click BAM_ITEMS option. Both menus could use more work. I was basically using colors to simply group similar type functions together but it got away from me a bit when I started rearranging options.
For example if you recolor the buttons so that all the base options (to put down an alter and use it) are colored in green. And all the more complicated options are colored in yellow, and all the really advanced options are colored in red, that would make it easier to use.
I like this suggestion. I was generally trying to use Red for go back options and as the default options so that you can simply repeatedly click ok to back out of all the sub menus. I will look these all over again and make improvements. Perhaps my wording in the menus is unclear?? Of course when you don't know what options even exist, without precise reading it definitely can be confusing. ;)
Also i didn't realize at first that placing an alter would not supply the coordinates of the location
Yes I have to admit this feature has festered me for the longest time. AND it is definitely on my hit list. Further, obviously my warning message about looking for coordinates and writing them down is insufficient. In fact this is one of the items I sacrificed to make My Christmas deadline. I plan on replacing the TEXT inputs by allowing direct placement to a directed spot on the map by the player. Pick a Spot and Click on it. 8)
Lastly i accidentally typed in 19,23 into my x coordinate (thinking i was supposed to supply both :whistle: ) and then into my y coordinate typed 23. That unfortunately resulted in a alter at 19,23 and then an alter at 23,1 23,2 23,3 23,4 23,5 23,6 and all the way down the entire map for the second coordinate i had entered.

You know I've had that happen to me more than once, too. Changing the method of placement should fix this problem also. Ya know, A MOVE TO event is generated for every one of those and they all work too. :lol: For now just redo the placement and they should all go away.
Also i heard from one of the developers that you should not use #ifndef MULTIPLAYER to define whether a modification loads or not because it can cause problems. For example if i load multiplayer first (the definition is loaded) then when i go to the campaign menu i will not have the option to load your blessed alter mod because the definition will still be loaded. Instead change your code to not have the #ifndef but include type=sp in your [modification] so that it only loads in the SP menu.
Great suggestion. I will definitely comply.....

Oh and by the way did you happen to catch the HELP menu.... I've tried to put useful information is there that should be read but this mod's overall menus are so encompassing that it's hard to get this important section noticed.

Thanks for your comments and wonderful suggestions :lol:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thanks for the quick reply :)
Oh and by the way did you happen to catch the HELP menu.... I've tried to put useful information is there that should be read but this mod's overall menus are so encompassing that it's hard to get this important section noticed.
Yeah i found the help menu very useful, and also thought it was nice you included description about why you designed the mod!

Thank you and if i have any other feedback i will post it! :D
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

The_Gnat, glad you found the help. I added some text in the FIRST SCENARIO Setup message to highlight the Help Option. I think it will help...
changed the color of the move text and made the type=sp change in the main.cfg

Still working on altar placement coordinates. Thanks again.... later
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

I'm very happy to announce :lol: I have arrived at a good solution to the Altar placement problem.

Coordinates are no longer required. :D

The Altar will be placed at the spot it was called. Also the Altar placement request is now activated in turn 1 by the Leader unit's First Move. Ad-hoc Altar Placement is available to any unit through the BAM items menu and is placed on the spot where activated. It's a good idea to make sure you have some extra moves remaining in the turn so you can step off the Altar after placement. I have also made numerous, albeit less obvious, improvements including updates to Menus and some HELP/Documentation entries. I have a Beelzebub work around so that feature is now activated, as well.
Please take the time to read the HELP: Known Issues and futures. Thanks

I'm therefore going to re-publish this Mod very soon. As such I have a couple of questions?
Are there conventions as how to properly do that. Am I even asking these questions in the right place?? :?
For Instance:
Should I make an incremental increase in the version number each time? This seems like a no brainer to me but I have to ask. 1.0.2 coming up!
Are there any internal wesnoth management implications relative to the version number?
Should I delete the server copy prior to uploading the new or will it replace the old version automatically. Any ramifications?
I noticed that on the 1.13.8 version which I am currently developing on, in the ADDON menu. If you use the addons details button to read the synopsis, the download button highlighted there does not work and causes a missing widget message; the delete button is disabled.

Hope Everyone has a Great New, Peaceful and Prosperous Year.....
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Dinosaur wrote:Should I make an incremental increase in the version number each time? This seems like a no brainer to me but I have to ask. 1.0.2 coming up!
It's generally a good idea to do so, otherwise the new versions won't show up as an updated add-on for players. as for the digits, when making a large/notable update, change the version to something like 1.1.0, something like 1.0.2 for minor tweaks, and stuff like 1.0.1a for bugfix-only updates.
Dinosaur wrote:Are there any internal wesnoth management implications relative to the version number?
well, like I said above, it's used to keep track of the difference between the versions on the server/the versions players are using, in order for players to be able to know what add-ons have been updated compared to their versions of those add-ons.
Dinosaur wrote: Should I delete the server copy prior to uploading the new or will it replace the old version automatically. Any ramifications?
it's done automatically. as for ramifications, as far as I know, there are none.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

ForestDragon.... Thank you for your quick and knowledgeable response.

Good your answers were just what I hoped and suspected. But I needed to be sure. As I've made way to many mistakes already. Thanks for the confidence boost. I will post the new 1.0.2 version now. Sorry to those that will need to re-download. But I think it will be worth it. Altar Placement is much improved. :D
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Dinosaur wrote:ForestDragon.... Thank you for your quick and knowledgeable response.

Good your answers were just what I hoped and suspected. But I needed to be sure. As I've made way to many mistakes already. Thanks for the confidence boost.
You're welcome! :)
Dinosaur wrote:I will post the new 1.0.2 version now. Sorry to those that will need to re-download. But I think it will be worth it. Altar Placement is much improved. :D
no need to apologize about that, downloading updates for add-ons isn't mandatory for players, and besides, they would only be glad to see the update anyway.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

I have just published the 1.0.2 Version of BAM....... If you have been waiting... Sorry for the delay... I got hijacked and distracted over New Years but I've recovered... What a Party!! :D

There were several improvements made to this release. Including Boost on Unit Placement.
I Still can't reach units created and placed prior to Scenario start. Bugging me the most is enemy leaders which often don't move and thus don't get boosted either by moveto or unit placed events. This seems contrary to WML Documentation which states otherwise.

Altar placement no longer requires coordinates. :D

Bam HELP documentation additions. And a Work around solution to Beelzebub visits. Please feel free to download and ENJOY!!! :lol:
And as always... Thank you for your support....
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Dinosaur wrote:I Still can't reach units created and placed prior to Scenario start. Bugging me the most is enemy leaders which often don't move and thus don't get boosted either by moveto or unit placed events. This seems contrary to WML Documentation which states otherwise.
you can try something like "side 1 turn" events for that (replace the "1" with whatever number you need)
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Thanks ForrestDragon said
you can try something like "side 1 turn" events for that (replace the "1" with whatever number you need)
Good suggestion! Yeah I've tried almost all of them side turn, turn 1 refresh, AI turn etc... in fact I have a "turn 1 refresh" no filter event that picks up the team name and ID just fine. And the ID is the same as the Leader's unit ID. So I was figuring to do a [store_unit] filter ID and it would give me the unit data I need to do a boost. but it seems that if you don't use specific types of events, unit information is not pre-stored and thus not accessible. here is a quote from the WMLEvent Documentation.
Predefined Events With Filters

Filters (except [filter_condition] which is for all sorts of events) can be applied to the following event triggers (see FilterWML; see also below). The actions specified in the event tag will be executed only if the filter returns true. These event triggers are all actions by units (moveto, attack) or things that happen to units (recruit, advance). When one of these events is triggered, the position of the active unit (referred to as the primary unit) is stored in the variables x1 and y1 and the position of any unit that primary unit does something to is stored in the variables x2 and y2 (this unit is referred to as the secondary unit below). These units are also automatically stored in the variables 'unit' and 'second_unit' as if they had been stored using the [store_unit] tag. see SingleUnitWML. weapon and second_weapon variables are available inside attack, attacker_hits, defender_hits, die and last_breath events. See automatically stored variables for more information.
Now, since I have no way of activating an action (hit, move, recruit, etc.) the info I need is not loaded.
That's why I was happy to see the event UNIT PLACED. Here is a what was says in the WMLEvent Doc.
unit placed (Version 1.13.3 and later only)

Triggers when the primary unit is placed on the map, regardless of method. This includes but might not be limited to:

Leaders and units placed in side definitions (fired once for every unit right before prestart events)
Recruited and recalled units
Units placed on the map with the [unit] tag (not units created directly onto a recall list or variable)
Units placed by the wesnoth.put_unit() Lua function
Units created via debug mode
Units created by plague
Every use of [unstore_unit]

This event is solely intended for special cases where no other event types suffice, for example if you must immediately apply a modification to every unit that ever appears. The event does not keep track of which units it has previously fired for, but can fire an unlimited number of times for the same unit as long the unit is "placed" several times and the event filter doesn't prevent it.
That's just what I'm looking for..... 'apply a modification to every unit that ever appears' bingo!
Notice that it specifically mentions Leaders and units placed in side definitions.... all the other cases mentioned work fine. :(

How do I get an Event started before Preload? Maybe it is not seeing my Unit Placed event early enough. How about a "preload unit placed" event???
maybe I'll just try it. Thanks.....
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Dinosaur wrote:Thanks ForrestDragon said
Good suggestion! Yeah I've tried almost all of them side turn, turn 1 refresh, AI turn etc... in fact I have a "turn 1 refresh" no filter event that picks up the team name and ID just fine. And the ID is the same as the Leader's unit ID. So I was figuring to do a [store_unit] filter ID and it would give me the unit data I need to do a boost. but it seems that if you don't use specific types of events, unit information is not pre-stored and thus not accessible. here is a quote from the WMLEvent Documentation.
Predefined Events With Filters

Filters (except [filter_condition] which is for all sorts of events) can be applied to the following event triggers (see FilterWML; see also below). The actions specified in the event tag will be executed only if the filter returns true. These event triggers are all actions by units (moveto, attack) or things that happen to units (recruit, advance). When one of these events is triggered, the position of the active unit (referred to as the primary unit) is stored in the variables x1 and y1 and the position of any unit that primary unit does something to is stored in the variables x2 and y2 (this unit is referred to as the secondary unit below). These units are also automatically stored in the variables 'unit' and 'second_unit' as if they had been stored using the [store_unit] tag. see SingleUnitWML. weapon and second_weapon variables are available inside attack, attacker_hits, defender_hits, die and last_breath events. See automatically stored variables for more information.
Now, since I have no way of activating an action (hit, move, recruit, etc.) the info I need is not loaded.
what variables do you need? (unit coordinates, unit id etc.)
That's why I was happy to see the event UNIT PLACED. Here is a what was says in the WMLEvent Doc.[/quote]
Dinosaur wrote:
unit placed (Version 1.13.3 and later only)

Triggers when the primary unit is placed on the map, regardless of method. This includes but might not be limited to:

Leaders and units placed in side definitions (fired once for every unit right before prestart events)
Recruited and recalled units
Units placed on the map with the [unit] tag (not units created directly onto a recall list or variable)
Units placed by the wesnoth.put_unit() Lua function
Units created via debug mode
Units created by plague
Every use of [unstore_unit]

This event is solely intended for special cases where no other event types suffice, for example if you must immediately apply a modification to every unit that ever appears. The event does not keep track of which units it has previously fired for, but can fire an unlimited number of times for the same unit as long the unit is "placed" several times and the event filter doesn't prevent it.
That's just what I'm looking for..... 'apply a modification to every unit that ever appears' bingo!
Notice that it specifically mentions Leaders and units placed in side definitions.... all the other cases mentioned work fine. :(
well, the wiki says "fired once for every unit right before prestart events" about such units. That might mean that if no boosts/or anything similar were selected, none would be applied
Dinosaur wrote:How do I get an Event started before Preload? Maybe it is not seeing my Unit Placed event early enough. How about a "preload unit placed" event???
I think it could be done like this (though it doesn't really happen BEFORE the preload event, but during it, it's still earlier than prestart, though I am unsure whether it's necessary):

Code: Select all

[event]
name=BAM_preload
first_time_only=no
#insert contents
[/event]

#This is a standard recruit event that triggers whenever a unit is recruited by side 1
[event]
name=preload
first_time_only=no
   [fire_event]
   name=BAM_preload
   [/fire_event]
[/event]
Dinosaur wrote:maybe I'll just try it. Thanks.....
You're welcome! :)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Just downloaded the add-on. It's overall very good and advanced code-wise, but the interface feels a little too overwhelming. some suggestions for making it look nicer:
-I think it would be a good idea to use less words in all caps in the mod. (you can put the text into <span size='large''></span>. this will make the text bigger, without the usage of caps. by the way, the accepted values for "size=" in the <span> are "xx-small","x-small","small","medium","large","x-large","xx-large")
-you could add icons to [option]s by putting "image=" there. (you can use mainline attack icons/icons. this will make the interface more intuitive)