Grafted Era: faction-pack for Default [ver. 0.3.4b]

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mystic x the unknown

Grafted Era: faction-pack for Default [ver. 0.3.4b]

Post by mystic x the unknown »

This era is a compilation of stand-alone factions for the Default era. Its main (optional) function is that it modifies the game to only have one not-Default factions, so that the individual factions won't play against factions they aren't balanced against. The factions still aren't very balanced, except for the Nightmares of Meloen faction.
  • Includes an option that prevents picking Random resulting in a game where all factions are Default era factions.
  • Includes Random-Default and Random-not-Default faction selections.
  • individual factions can be disabled in game-setup screen, so it's possible to play the era as faction+Default without hand-picking factions
Available on the add-on server
Comments and suggestions are welcome on all aspects of the Era besides the Nightmares of Meloen faction.

Factions:
Steppe
Notes:
Changelog:
Known issues:
graft_01.png
Last edited by mystic x the unknown on June 29th, 2018, 2:56 pm, edited 20 times in total.
you are not gonna make it
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Re: default-balanced factions in one era

Post by FAAB »

I think this is a really well-thought idea.
That way of putting together UMC factions playable against default while avoid the work of making them balanced against each other is very smart :)
Writing the WML to make it actually work is even more awesome :wink:
mystic x the unknown

Re: Grafted Era: default-balanced factions in one era

there is a new version. the era is now called Grafted era and is available on the add-on server.
mystic x the unknown

Today there was a major release..

First I'd like to thank to Gorthaur, SteppenWolf, jzmer, Isril and GreenFlame for writing translations for me.

I worked hard on the graphics so it should be pleasant or at least bearable to look at now. This version includes a great amount of changes taken from the Nightmares of Meloen project.
Besides balancing, polish and optimization, there's also some brand new stuff.. A new faction, the Halflings. Since this version there are going to be translations for the pop-up and right-menu items, so non-english speaking players (of the languages someone writes translations for) can get some idea what's going on or what it's all about.

(changelog is attached to the first post)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

At Mystic: It would be nice to include a sub-era where the grafted factions can fight each other.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
mystic x the unknown

It would be nice to include a sub-era where the grafted factions can fight each other.
I understand this desire and it occurred to me before, but I immediately decided against it. There's not going to be a sub-era like that.

1. the Grafted era's factions are supposed to be well-balanced against default, making the whole era well-balanced. While on average it's currently far from this goal, making a sub-era like that would be eventually detrimental to overall quality. (and it would be low blow to remove it later on, if some people came to like the said sub-era)

2. People would use the said sub-era instead. Some might even conclude the two other sub-eras must be 'bugged'. :wink:

a minor reason would be that the more sub-eras, the more confusion -for some people.

Finally there's no stopping of anyone from including any of these factions in their own era.

EDIT: there's now a bugfix release: 0.2.1
Last edited by mystic x the unknown on April 18th, 2011, 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Nice. Need any more translations I might work in? ;)
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
mystic x the unknown

A long overdue update -- version 0.2.2 -- is out now.. (available for some time on 1.9)

The most important change is that the factions without any water-capable unit got one.. the Steppe got it's own water unit while the Darklands got a naga fighter until a replacement (thematically and gameplay-wise fitting) is found.
The Darklands faction has been rehashed a bit:
Spoiler:
...despite these changes the faction is still noticeably broken.

Less important changes include the halflings getting their own set of names, the eagle line getting a L3 advancement and an updated Strongman sprite.
mystic x the unknown

Re: Grafted Era: balanced-against-Default factions in one er

Time for some news from the world of Grafted Era..

It was a long time since the last post, though there was more than one release during that period, the latest being version 0.2.3
To the changes, then..

To make it a true line-breaker, the Overseer was changed, it's weapon special becoming one that lowers defense of both the attacker and the defender by 25% for the duration of the attack.
The Steppe faction got a new unit: Reindeer. It is a 8 move scout introduced to ensure the faction is going work on most mainline maps. Furthermore, the warrior and wind herder trees have been given 6 moves.
Other notable changes include numerous sprite updates for the Darklands faction and some debuffing of the halflings.
See the changelog for a comprehensive list.

I'm considering creating new development threads for the Steppe and Darklands factions.
adr3n

Post by adr3n »

is there any progress on this era still?
mystic x the unknown

adr3n wrote:is there any progress on this era still?
Hey, the last post was just a month ago! :)
Yes there is progress, however it's very slow. The main issue is a general lack of people who would develop these factions (save the Nightmares). I am trying to actually, but it seems to be beyond me.

Coincidentally, I released version 0.2.3b less than 3 days ago (just for the stable branch due to issues), with the more notable changes being halfling sprites overhaul and application of NoM changes to the unhatched line of units.
mystic x the unknown

Grafted era is back with version 0.3.0! This release brings major changes: removal of the Steppe faction, option to allow the concurrent use of multiple not-Default factions, full control over which factions are used through on/off switches. Furthermore, there have been numerous design and cosmetic changes to the Darklands and Halflings factions. The Nightmares of Meloen faction has seen only minor tweaks, save for a couple balance changes (by FAAB) and the non-inclusion of some unreleased design/balance changes. For a complete list of changes, see the first post.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Hi,
I got an incompatibility report for 1.13.10: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46960&p=618322#p618322
On a first run, it says: "dist/VERSION is missing" "in detect.cfg:4" "included from _main.cfg:21" "included from _main.cfg:3" "included from _main.cfg:65".
Does this make sense?
mystic x the unknown

The era was updated to version 3.0.1. This release fixes some bugs, on the development branch those included game-breaking ones. The only gameplay changes are Henchman being able to receive the 'strong' trait and the price of Overseer being increased to 23.
mystic x the unknown

Version 0.3.2 is out. The focus of this release is the Darklands faction. It was made roughly balanced, and a new ability was introduced that restores Overseers' and Dark Riders' health by transferring it from adjacent allies, or adjacent owned village. There is now a game modification for testing the Darklands faction with players who don't have the era. The release also brings a minor graphical addition.

See the change-log section of the first post for details.