Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Nikita_Sadkov

Re: DeCoolest Art

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Hey, DeCoolest_Cat! Have you read the wesnoth animation tutorials? :eng:

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Basic_Animation_Tutorial
http://web.archive.org/web/201012220823 ... _Animation

Link is through archive.org, because wiki.wesnoth.org/From_Base_Frame_To_Full_Animation is missing images. Admins, please fix! :P
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

After over a year break of anything Wesnoth related, I've decided to get back into it. My art skills are probably more dismal than before, so critique is greatly appreciated. These portraits are for my unfinished campaign Kalbruk's Journey, which is about a bunch of bears, some of which has magical powers (sounds dumb I know lol).

I've attached the new portraits, the old portraits, and the sprites for each unit. The sprites will definitely need reworking to fit the new portraits, but I'll do that once the portraits are finalized. Sorry for the large file sizes :|
Attachments
level 4
level 4
level 3
level 3
level 2
level 2
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

nice to see you back on the forums! :) In my opinion, it would be better to just edit the portraits on the left (rather than making new ones), since they look a lot more realistic/polished.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

ForestDragon wrote:In my opinion, it would be better to just edit the portraits on the left (rather than making new ones), since they look a lot more realistic/polished.
Sorry if this was unclear lol, but the ones of the left are the current one, I just added the right ones for contrast. So yeah, comment on the left ones
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

DeCoolest_Cat wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:In my opinion, it would be better to just edit the portraits on the left (rather than making new ones), since they look a lot more realistic/polished.
Sorry if this was unclear lol, but the ones of the left are the current one, I just added the right ones for contrast. So yeah, comment on the left ones
ok. as for the portraits, it would be a good idea to add more in between colors, and maybe a glow effect to the blue spike-things(?).
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Kalbruk's Journey has new bears! These were taken from Kwandulin's bear riders. Tell me what you think.
Attachments
brownbear5.png
brownbear5.png (2.02 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
brownbear3.png
brownbear3.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
brown bear new.png
brown bear new.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

i really like these grizzlies.
maybe the outline for the first bear is too dark especially at the head.
maybe a couple of shades lighter could fix it. Or use a darker brown for the outline on the first one
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Here are two new bears that I have frankensteined, the Sun Bear (level 1) and the Sloth Bear (level 2). I have tried to make them resemble their real-life counterparts. The extra fur on the sloth bear seems a little odd, but let me know what you think.
Attachments
sloth-bear.png
sloth-bear.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
sun-bear.png
sun-bear.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Nice to see you're still working on the project of yours. A few suggestion for how to tweak the bear sprites:
1) the new sun/sloth bears look good, but it would be a good idea to add a shadow to them.
2) the brown bears' back shape should be somewhat reworked to be smoother, and the fur should probably re-shaded (the sun bear sprite is a good example of how to do both things right)