[mainline] Renaming Khalifate for Wesnoth-ian identity

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
mintleaf

[mainline] Renaming Khalifate for Wesnoth-ian identity

Post by mintleaf »

Results of the first poll:
<accidentally deleted when adding the second poll :oops: >

Results of the second poll:
poll2.png
Results of the third poll:
poll3.png
Results of the final poll:
khalifate-faction-poll4.png
Format and content changes currently in progress
FOUR CHANGES FOR DISCUSSION
1. Faction Name The faction name has been decided on - Dunefolk.
2. Race Name Will be done in a separate thread.
3. Unit Names/Unit Prefix Will be done in a separate thread.
In the interest of keeping this thread focused and on topic, other topics such as unit/faction descriptions and lore, unit balancing, and so forth should be discussed in their own, separate threads. Trying to cram all ideas and suggestions for the Khalifate into a single thread makes it likely that good ideas and suggests will be buried and forgotten, rather than acted upon.
PREFACE
Please avoid overly political discussion. While Wesnoth strives to build a fantasy world that is both eclectic and standalone, it is not a social advocacy. Argue for consistent lore and good world building. NOT for racism, cultural appropriation, exoticism, representation, social gaze, and ethics. This issue has been derailed before for those reasons, and it is hard to turn these kinds of discussions constructive for the game. If you want to discuss those issues, make your own thread and do it at a proper venue. Let's strive to make a better game before we try to change the whole world.

Feedback is appreciated. Be prepared to argue and disagree but not to fight and squabble.
FACTION NAME
Rationale
To separate the faction identity from direct Arab inspiration in favor for a more holistically Wesnoth-feel. While the Wesnoth world building is both real-world-inspired and fantasy-inspired, we must avoid direct real world references. We also have to decide from where we draw our inspiration for the faction, while making sure that this faction can as an identy standalone and not appear as a real-world counterpart of its inspirations.

Inspiration
Desert civilizations. mintleaf:Islamic Golden Age (science and craft), Byzantines (fire and secrets), Mongols (terrain)

What Kind of Peoples/Civilization
What kind of people are of this faction? What kind of government do they hold? Are they united? Nomads? Kingdoms? City-states? While the faction is not magical, and possibly not governmental, they are definitely not barbaric. The Hakim are doctors and scientists. The Naffat use artificial fire technology. The Arif are marksmen with their swords. These traits suggest a highly sophisticated people that value science, craft, and the martial arts.

Proper Noun or Not
Some argue that a proper noun (e.g. Khalifate, Xalid, Sons of Zamarkand) will establish a better identity while some feel that for consistency we must use common nouns (e.g. caliphate, nomads, dune kingdom, children of the sun).

Faction Name Proposals
Using a common noun reflective of their status as a civilization would be easy and consistent with other factions like the Loyalists, Rebels, Knalgan Alliance and Undead. Names like Southerners, Southern Kingdom/s, Dune/Sand Kingdom/s, Nomads have been suggested.

Proper nouns may add more flavor and identity even if it might stand out too much from other factions. Names like Xalid or Xalıdı, Sons of Zamarkand have been suggested.

A very effective and simple approach would be to name the faction as the race itself (covered in the next section). Names like Dunefolk, Sandfolk, Jinn have been suggested.
RACE NAME
Humans
It is simpler to think that they are human but a culture separate from the Loyalist Monarchy. We avoid the complication of having to design a separate race and origin, while at the same time keeping the world and lore simple and consistent. This is the prevalent opinion.

Different Race
This could strengthen the identity of this faction and give Wesnoth more variety in races. Constructing a new race may be an endeavor, but would increase the richness of existing Wesnoth lore.

Race Name
Current suggestions are Dunefolk, Xalid, Sandfolk, Jinn.
UNIT NAMES
Functional
Unit names must be functional and descriptive. You cannot know what an Arif does, but you know what a Warrior does. You cannot know what a Hakim does, but you will have an idea of what an Alchemist does. Keep in mind that common nouns do not dilute a race identity. Proper nouns on the other hand, do not strengthen but instead complicate race identity and are not functional descriptors. Common-proper hybrid nouns and compound words like Flameheart or Thunderer work very well, and if we are creative enough we might hope to build both functional and flavorful unit names.

Once the previous issues concerning faction name and race identity are more or less agreed upon, we will have a more effective base to build unit names on.

The list of suggestions follows (I recommend adding your desired prefix in your head to get a feel of the names)
Arif Line
ImageImageImageImage
Arif Names: Soldier
Ghazi Names: Shieldbearer
Shuja Names: Shieldmaster
Khalid Names: Eternal, Khalid, Warmonger, Warmaster
ImageImageImage
Arif Names: see previous
Mudafi Names: Spearbearer
Rasikh Names: Spearmaster
Hakim Line
ImageImage
Hakim Names: Alchemist, Herbalist, Healer
Tabib Names: Thaumaturgist, Alchemist
Jundi Line
ImageImageImage
Jundi Names: Warrior
Monawish: Sword Dancer
Mighwar: Blademaster
ImageImageImage
Jundi Names: see previous
Muharib Names: War Dancer
Batal Names: Warmaster, Warmonger, Tarkan
Khaiyal Line
ImageImageImage
Khaiyal Names: Piercer
Faris Names: Linebreaker
Mufariq Names: Sunderer
ImageImageImage
Khaiyal Names: see previous
Qanas Names: Beater, Batallier, Cataphract
Hadaf Names: Cataphract
Naffat Line
ImageImageImage
Naffat Names: Combuster
Qatif-al-nar Names: Firebrand
Tineen Names: Infernal
Rami Line
ImageImageImage
see previous
ImageImageImage
Rami Names: Hillrider, Archer, Horse Archer
Saree: Swiftrider
Jawal: Windrider
PREFIX NAME
Race Name vs Descriptor
Whether the prefix is the name of the race (e.g. Dunefolk) versus a shorter descriptor (e.g. Dune, Sand) depends on variables like brevity, flavor and sound. When the unit names are decided, this will be easier to discuss.

ORIGINAL POST
I love the Khalifate but their current identity heavily conflicts with the rest of the feel of Wesnoth. It is clear that the Loyalists are strongly based on the Western feudal era, which is because it's a standard for Tolkien-based fantasy. The other factions are specific enough that their identity is immediately recognizable, yet general enough that players can weave their own interpretation, be that fan campaigns and other forms of narrative imagination.

Before I expound on my rationale, I want to stress that this suggestion is in no way politically based. I have my own personal opinions on cultural and racial matters (you may disagree with my opinions but that doesn't mean we can't listen to each other) but these leanings don't really affect my appeal here. What matters to me is clarity and world-building. That being said, let's start.

The Khalifate are very tricky. While it's clear their identity is based on Desert Civilizations, their names are the biggest problem. Not only are they in another language (which disregards translated versions of Wesnoth), but they are too much of proper nouns (in an English or base language perspective). Other Wesnoth units do not have such names. Even if the names may mean something in Arabic, it is as foreign to a Chinese audience as Polish unit names (this may be a random example but it drives the point that the regular Chinese person knows nothing about the Polish language). We need something descriptive in our base language. If we were to translate the Khalifate to another language, the result should be descriptive as well.

I urge you to consider this change because I feel that it is instrumental to accepting the Khalifate as a base faction and not a strange addition that feels like more of a mod than an official part of Wesnoth.

Here is my humble petition appeal to rename the Khalifate to...
Southern Kingdoms/Sand Kingdoms/Dune Kingdoms/Desert Kingdoms

This thread is very open to discussion and feedback, so please feel free to offer your thoughts. Every comment is appreciated.
Last edited by mintleaf on December 28th, 2017, 3:36 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: [mainline] Renaming Khalifate for Wesnoth-ian identity

Post by Vyncyn »

I generally agree with you. If nothing else the new names would at least be easier to remember.
Some of the names though sound strange to me (e.g. Pyromonger).
Other names are very broad (e.g. Warrior). I'd suggest leaving the name "Khalifate" and using it as prefix (-> Khalifate Warrior)
Telcontar

Post by Telcontar »

Vyncyn wrote:I generally agree with you. If nothing else the new names would at least be easier to remember.
Other names are very broad (e.g. Warrior). I'd suggest leaving the name "Khalifate" and using it as prefix (-> Khalifate Warrior)
I also agree with the general idea. There is still the issue with "Khalifate", which may be considered an out-of-universe name by some; but "Southern" is very unspecific.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Telcontar wrote:
Vyncyn wrote:I generally agree with you. If nothing else the new names would at least be easier to remember.
I also agree with the general idea. There is still the issue with "Khalifate", which may be considered an out-of-universe name by some; but "Southern" is very unspecific.
To add to that, "Khalifate" is more specifically a religious term.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

These names sound really good! :)

Personally though i think that these names could be improved slightly (if you are interested):

Bruiser -> the names sounds good but doesn't really sound like someone who will advance to a Tarkan. Bruiser sounds more like a thug type unit not a unit with both marksman and slows

Thaumaturgist -> does this actually mean anything :) it might be better to use a more common alchemy name. (or perhaps something like Wise One)

War Dancer/Sword Dancer -> these units don't seem particularly graceful. While i could imagine an elf as a "dancer" i personally would prefer a more hardened name for these units. (perhaps consider vanquisher or prowler for the skirmisher units)

Warmonger -> This guy moves fast and has a high ranged attack (mixed fighter) and i would think Warmonger would be a better name for a melee unit.

Roughrider -> Perhaps consider Swift rider because of this units high movement and impressive ranged capability (it would also fit with wind rider)

Any thoughts on these ideas is appreciated! If anyone doesn't like my ideas or can think of better ideas than i have please share them.
Telcontar wrote:but "Southern" is very unspecific.
I agree but i think it is good. Alternatively "Desert" could be used as a prefix
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

The_Gnat wrote:Thaumaturgist -> does this actually mean anything :)
Means something like "A worker of wonders and performer of miracles". Unusal, but kinda fitting for this unit.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

In changing the nomenclature to have it fit more easily into Wesnoth, would you also edit the descriptions accordingly? Some of the new names mildly alter the connotation conveyed by the previous name.

I know the guy who did some of the originals, only reason I ask. ;)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Telcontar wrote:but "Southern" is very unspecific.
I don't really see how "Southern" is any less specific than "Northern", and Wesnoth certainly has "Northerners" as a faction.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Turuk wrote:In changing the nomenclature to have it fit more easily into Wesnoth, would you also edit the descriptions accordingly? Some of the new names mildly alter the connotation conveyed by the previous name.

I know the guy who did some of the originals, only reason I ask. ;)
Their is already a project to remake the Khalifate, I believe these efforts should be combined! Have a look at this github project. His goal is to make a new balanced version of the Khalifate.

Since it is already a project to revise the Khalifate I believe this is a good place to start,rather than making separate projects.

(I am a contributor to this github project and will make a new branch for these name changes once I here back from mintleaf about my suggestions)
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Yes, please do take a look at the work i did with the names prior to making any decisions to rename the guys.

What i did was this: the names were quasi–Arabic but with unconventional spelling — and occasionally derivation which i was unable to ascertain. So, i did the best research that i could, and came up with revised names in badly formed Arabic and in English.
I am not necessarily recommending that the Arabic names be adopted in–universe. I simply keep them because there is probably some correlation between the original names and the conception of each unit_type as it was when i branched The Xalıdı Expansion.
If — and such an If does require some consideration — it is decided that keeping foreign, ersatz Arabic or similar gutteral sounding names beside the translatable name is necessary to make the faction seem foreign and indeed non–Wesnothian during the time of the Xalıdı Expansion era, then we can change the Modern Standard Arabic names, which I researched, and make them wholly new but similar names in an invented language.
I say non–Wesnothian because, IIRC, the Xalıdı expanded northwest and invaded Wesnoth proper.

Anyway: if you would like to merge your names in this topic with mine in the aforementioned GitHub project, then we should also decide whether it is better to keep this topic apart from those concerning things like balancing and the like.

Either way, i do recommend that we consolidate our efforts and share as much work as possible: only branch when there is a concerted and congenial disagreement in one area. I.e. let;s have common stock where we agree and different flavors of the faction and era where we disagree, and let popularity guide future development.

P.S. I'm tired, so i hope that all this was intelligible.

P.P.S. I should probably add my above explanation into the TXE readme.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I also think the names leave something to be desired. As far as the faction goes:
Telcontar wrote:There is still the issue with "Khalifate", which may be considered an out-of-universe name by some
The name is from our universe, but more than that--it's specifically Muslim. BfW is not supposed to be religious, and I would object to a faction being named "Crusaders" or "Tzahal" as well. Having a faction that is Middle-East flavored is fine, but the name should not be a religious term. (Even if it's spelled in an uncommon way.) Something referring to deserts or sand would be better as has been suggested. My suggestion is "Dune". Dune Mercenary, Dune Alchemist, Dune Cavalry, etc., sound cool to me.

I also agree that the untranslated names are out of place compared to the rest of the races and factions.
Can-ned_Food wrote:keeping foreign, ersatz Arabic or similar gutteral sounding names beside the translatable name is necessary to make the faction seem foreign
Orcs and Drakes are foreigners to Wesnoth too, and they get English names for the factions and unit lines. The unit name generator would be a good place for ersatz Arabic though if you want to use it.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

beetlenaut wrote: My suggestion is "Dune". Dune Mercenary, Dune Alchemist, Dune Cavalry, etc., sound cool to me.
I agree fully with beetlenaut and Can-ned-food.

Personally, however, rather than "Dune" i would prefer the more formal prefix "Desert". Desert Mercenary, Desert Alchemist, Desert Cavalry. It is also longer and so fits with the other wesnoth prefixes (elvish, dwarvish, orcish...)

What do you think?

EDIT: is this a viable suggestions? I presume that the Quenoth elves are being named Quenoth Hunter not Desert Hunter.
Can-ned_Food

backstory of the Xalıdı and new unit_type names

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Even if Irdya has no genuine deities as such, making the Xalıdı an overtly religious people could be an interesting counterpoint in their interactions with the other factions. That religion could borrow aspects from pre–Muhammed Arabic paganism or a transcendental monotheism or something in between. Though the overall cultural tapestry of the Xalıdı should not be a direct import of some culture or people from our history, it does help to use those as launchpads. I mean, that's what everyone has done with this quasi Northern European fantasy setting that came from popular conception of Tolkien's work in the past century.

Anyway, that's why i kept the Arab–esque names. I don't expect them to be maintained, but i thought they would be helpful in developing the backstory of the Xalıdı. I.e. tribal, nomadic, middle eastern history represented through Arabic language. Sociology through Etymology.

Though refining and balancing the function of a unit_type should occur simultaneously with its name, such a dance usually occurs in discrete steps. First you name the thing, then come up with a set of attacks and such, then revise the name, et c.
unit_type names
    ʿArīf (sergeant)
    Mercenary
    As i said in a TBD remark, i don't think that Sergeant is quite correct for a lvl1 guy. However, i also don't think that Mercenary is a good fit, either. Maybe for the Jundī guys.
    Ghazı (conqueror)
    Bruiser
    The original name conveys that these guys are raiders or reavers, but not of the hit–and–run manner. They come it and squash enemies for the purpose of occupying the land — well, at least that's what Ghazi designates. Ergo: ‘Conqueror’.
    Also,
    The_Gnat wrote:Bruiser -> the names sounds good but doesn't really sound like someone who will advance to a Tarkan. Bruiser sounds more like a thug type unit not a unit with both marksman and slows
    Tašjīrun (ascendant)
    Shieldmaster
    Xalıd (mighty hero)
    Tarkan
    Difāʿun (defender)
    Warden
    Rasikh (sturdious)
    Spearmaster
    I admit that ‘Sturdious’ is rather unwieldy, but isn't it more descriptive than Spearmaster — which implies an offensive role? I don't know; i've not played Xalıdı enough to know if these guys are more suited to offensive rather than defensive roles.
    Ḥakīm (wise one)
    Alchemist
    Ṭabīb (medical doctor)
    Thaumaturgist
    Jundī (soldier)
    Warrior
    Muḥāribun (warrior)
    Sword Dancer
    If ‘dancer’ doesn't seem appropriable, then you could always use ‘Dervish’ or something like that.
    Batal (champion)
    Warmonger
    Monawish (skirmisher)
    Sword Dancer
    Ditto regarding ‘dancer’.
    However: Note that i was unable to obtain an definitive derivation for this name in TXE.
    Maghwār (commando, invader)
    Blademaster
    Rukūban (rider)
    Piercer
    ‘Rider’ is certainly too vague.
    Fārıs (cavalier)
    Linebreaker
    Rıfāq (bodyguard)
    Sunderer
    Quite a difference there. Yours is probably more suitable.
    Qannāṣ (sniper)
    Heavy Cavalry
    Again, I think the original name not now applicable here — probably because revisions were made to the unit_type.
    Hadafan (aimer)
    Battalier
    Yeah, functions were changed.
    Nafṭa Iḥtırāqun (naptha burner)
    Trooper
    ‘Burner’ would work, too.
    Ramyun an–Nār (thrower of fire)
    Firebrand
    Tınnīn (dragon)
    Pyromonger
    Hmm. I like the newer one, but it seems too … punkish?
    Rāmın (archer)
    Hillrider
    On consideration of their movement type, the newer name doesn't seem correct to me.
    Sarīʿ (swift one)
    Roughrider
    Huh? I don't see Teddy Roosevelt anywhere. ;)
    Iḵtırāqun (penetrant)
    Windrider
    That's probably better allusion and more poetic than Penetrant or Penetrator.
source of previous section for those who wish to amend it

Code: Select all

[list][*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24arif.png[/img]  
[u]ʿArīf (sergeant)[/u]  
[u]Mercenary[/u]  
As i said in a TBD remark, i don't think that Sergeant is quite correct for a lvl1 guy.  However, i also don't think that Mercenary is a good fit, either.  Maybe for the Jundī guys.
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24ghazi.png[/img]  
[u]Ghazı (conqueror)[/u]  
[u]Bruiser[/u]  
The original name conveys that these guys are raiders or reavers, but not of the hit–and–run manner.  They come it and squash enemies for the purpose of occupying the land — well, at least that's what Ghazi designates.  Ergo:  ‘Conqueror’.  
Also, [quote="The_Gnat"]Bruiser -> the names sounds good but doesn't really sound like someone who will advance to a Tarkan. Bruiser sounds more like a thug type unit not a unit with both marksman and slows[/quote]
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24shuja.png[/img]  
[u]Tašjīrun (ascendant)[/u]  
[u]Shieldmaster[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24khalid.png[/img]  
[u]Xalıd (mighty hero)[/u]  
[u]Tarkan[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24mudafi.png[/img]  
[u]Difāʿun (defender)[/u]  
[u]Warden[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24rasikh.png[/img]  
[u]Rasikh (sturdious)[/u]  
[u]Spearmaster[/u]  
I admit that ‘Sturdious’ is rather unwieldy, but isn't it more descriptive than Spearmaster — which implies an offensive role?  I don't know; i've not played Xalıdı enough to know if these guys are more suited to offensive rather than defensive roles.
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24hakim.png[/img]  
[u]Ḥakīm (wise one)[/u]  
[u]Alchemist[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24tabib.png[/img]  
[u]Ṭabīb (medical doctor)[/u]  
[u]Thaumaturgist[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24jundi.png[/img]  
[u]Jundī (soldier)[/u]  
[u]Warrior[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24muharib.png[/img]  
[u]Muḥāribun (warrior)[/u]  
[u]Sword Dancer[/u]  
If ‘dancer’ doesn't seem appropriable, then you could always use ‘Dervish’ or something like that.
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24batal.png[/img]  
[u]Batal (champion)[/u]  
[u]Warmonger[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24monawish.png[/img]  
[u]Monawish (skirmisher)[/u]  
[u]Sword Dancer[/u]  
Ditto regarding ‘dancer’.  
However:  Note that i was unable to obtain an definitive derivation for this name in TXE.
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24mighwar.png[/img]  
[u]Maghwār (commando, invader)[/u]  
[u]Blademaster[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24khaiyal.png[/img]  
[u]Rukūban (rider)[/u]  
[u]Piercer[/u]  
‘Rider’ is certainly too vague.
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24faris.png[/img]  
[u]Fārıs (cavalier)[/u]
[u]Linebreaker[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24mufariq.png[/img]  
[u]Rıfāq (bodyguard)[/u]  
[u]Sunderer[/u]  
Quite a difference there.  Yours is probably more suitable.
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24qanas.png[/img]  
[u]Qannāṣ (sniper)[/u]  
[u]Heavy Cavalry[/u]  
Again, I think the original name not now applicable here — probably because revisions were made to the [tt]unit_type[/tt].
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24hadaf.png[/img]  
[u]Hadafan (aimer)[/u]  
[u]Battalier[/u]  
Yeah, functions were changed.
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24naffat.png[/img]  
[u]Nafṭa Iḥtırāqun (naptha burner)[/u]  
[u]Trooper[/u]  
‘Burner’ would work, too.
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24qatif-al-nar.png[/img]  
[u]Ramyun an–Nār (thrower of fire)[/u]
[u]Firebrand[/u]  
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24tineen.png[/img]  
[u]Tınnīn (dragon)[/u]  
[u]Pyromonger[/u]  
Hmm.  I like the newer one, but it seems too … punkish?
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24rami.png[/img]  
[u]Rāmın (archer)[/u]  
[u]Hillrider[/u]  
On consideration of their movement type, the newer name doesn't seem correct to me.
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24saree.png[/img]  
[u]Sarīʿ (swift one)[/u]  
[u]Roughrider[/u]  
Huh?  I don't see Teddy Roosevelt anywhere.  ;)
[*][img]https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/pics/core%24images%24units%24khalifate%24jawal.png[/img]  
[u]Iḵtırāqun (penetrant)[/u]  
[u]Windrider[/u]  
That's probably better allusion and more poetic than Penetrant or Penetrator.[/list]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I agree with all of the name ideas Can-ned-food has except those which are duplicates which i would prefer not to have :)

Sergeant -> I don't know if mercenary is the best but sergeant makes me think = Leadership which this unit doesn't have
Piercer -> Charger (there is already a goblin piercer)
Warden -> Defender/anything else (lvl 3 drake also called warden, may be confusing to have this level 2 unit called warden)

NOTE: you have made a duplicate of Sword Dancer Jundi advancement should be called war dancer

ALSO: What prefix do you think should be used? (currently i believe Southern, Dune, Desert, and Khalifate have been offered to precede the unit names)
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Ha-ha, again this issue.
For developers it was always an undesired issue earlier. Probably time change things.
I like the topicstarter's idea. It was said that it is too hard to create new English names for new races so better to take these arabic names than repeating fighters, warrior and archers - but well, we see, he created new names, and did it well. Windrider, hillrider - sounds great.

Moreover, in my own campaign I made some custom unit types for a halifate hero and I had no idea how to name them given I do not know Arabic. So I got a problem and solved it by inventing English names like 'Stormblade'.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains