The Khalifate Resource and Balance Thread

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Re: The Khalifate Resource and Balance Thread

Post by The_Gnat »

As I understand you are saying that you want to make some modifications to the default factions also. I concur :D , however I would prefer to keep changes to the default factions to a minimum and instead modify the Xalidi primarily. In that way we will avoid messing up the balances of other factions. ;)

Also I am confused about the reference to symmetry, and the Xalidi being the odd faction out...

Also how would you like us to make changes to the Git hub project? Should we commit them and then allow people to test the changes or should we discuss them on the forum before we make changes?
Can-ned_Food

explaining the name ‘Xalıdı’; protocol for devs of TXE

Post by Can-ned_Food »

“Symmetry” was a poor choice of word; doesn't quite apply to Wesnoth ( :doh: ). I should've been describing how each faction has a theme in terms of optimal strategies and playstyles.
however I would prefer to keep changes to the default factions to a minimum and instead modify the Xalidi primarily.
Of course; minimize the work that way! You did get what I was saying, though: by keeping TXE a distinct era, it becomes possible to copy mainline units from the BFW era and tweak them, if necessary, to help with balancing the Xalıdı — and, overall, including them in a singularly complete, smooth, and gestalt era.

Also, I should probably explain the name ‘Xalıdı’.
First, one will notice that i decided to use the letter ‘X’ for the velar–uvular fricative.
The suffix of ‘-ı’ is an attempt to imitate the declension of Arabic linguistics, and more specifically that of the collective genitive construct. E.g. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D8%B9%D ... Declension
Ergo, the ‘Xalıdı’ are the “people of the Xalıd”. Of course, I know almost nothing about Modern Standard Arabic linguistics.

As Gnat mentioned in a PM to me, we should all decide on some protocol which will be used to reach agreement or at least concensus prior to branching for changes regarding the tactical balance.
I'll limit myself to the texts at this time.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes I understand :) I think that is a good plan as I am sure some mainline units will need modifications.

Also you mentioned artwork, I can definitely help with that (frankenspriting animations for units) though I think balance is most important and would like to work on it primarily.

It would be great to get really involved in this and so I will try to finish my other projects so I have time to spend on this. :D
mintleaf

Post by mintleaf »

I'm a beginner so I need someone to tell me my place, but what's the point of Jundis and their liminality. They're reliably mobile but they don't really deal much damage because of the liminal aspect. At the same time liminal doesn't give +25% during the transitional hours so they aren't really strong given their base stats.

Can you guys explain why this isn't the case? The guides definitely say different. I use Jundis a bit like I use Footpads. Village grabbers that aren't scouts but double as sub-par back up in emergencies. Nothing that can stand on their own. The guides say they're sometimes the bread and butter. How does that even add up?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

<Bump>

But also i agree with mintleaf's question: What makes the Jundi so powerful? (I mean besides the fact that he is a great melee and ranged unit and moves quickly ;) )

Also here is a great topic that should be looked at, i think that his new names are really good ideas.