The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Lordlewis

Re: The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Post by Lordlewis »

Yeah probably, I don't want the Khalifate faction to be OP, if there is anything else that needs doing art wise just tell me. Yes I would also agree on the Khalifate faction is well and truly going well. :D
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

I just made a small change to the thabt sprite, and I also made the portrait for the thabt.
Spoiler:
Attachments
Now has a mask
Now has a mask
thabt.png (37.19 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice i like the mask and the portrait. It is great that you have made so many portraits for the khalifate! Though they do not look completely like khalifate it is much better than having no portrait. :D
ghype

Post by ghype »

i ve seen many good looking khalifate sprites in this thread.

is there any update to the default khal. faction to be expected any soon? or will they function as an extension as a separate mod?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ghype wrote:is there any update to the default khal. faction to be expected any soon? or will they function as an extension as a separate mod?
the correct answer is the latter (these units will be included in the "Reign of the Lords" era, but aren't intended to be in mainline wesnoth)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yeah this topic (the franken dungeon) is mainly consisting of sprites for the Reign of the Lords era. It adds 4th and 5th level advancements of all the mainline units when installed and is great for playing with campaigns (so you can advance your units to really high levels!) :D

Also i unfortunately believe the development of the khalifate faction has been postponed indefinitely by the developers. But a few people have got together and are planning on trying to improve it further. I don't have much time now with all my other mods but plan on trying to draw some animations for the khalifate faction at some point. Check out this thread for further information.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I made some little modifications to a few sprites, basically just taking parts from Dingo7's really good artwork and improving some of the images in the RoTL. 8)
Attachments
death-crossbow.png
death-crossbow.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
pursuer.png
pursuer.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
destroyer.png
destroyer.png (10.13 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
ironmauler.png
ironmauler.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is some slight changes to the thabt, he is very similar but slightly larger (shield, body, spear)
Attachments
thabt.png
thabt.png (3.88 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Looks a bit better, small touches do change things a bit don't they. Also is the Khalifate faction going to have all base units able to advance into some type of level 5 unit? I'm not sure if there are any faction that have all base units that can advance into a level 5.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Lordlewis wrote:Looks a bit better, small touches do change things a bit don't they.
:) Yes, I just try to make all the level 4 units similar size (because as units advance they always increase in size slightly, for example lvl 3 general > lvl 4 grand marshal)
Lordlewis wrote:Also is the Khalifate faction going to have all base units able to advance into some type of level 5 unit? I'm not sure if there are any faction that have all base units that can advance into a level 5.
I don't think it is necessary but i certainly wouldn't mind doing so! :D The only reason the other factions do not all advance to level 5 is just a lack of time to draw sprites, so i picked the most important units and made them advance to level 5. Level 5 take longer to draw because they need to be so large and impressive looking ;) (for example the decimation trooper or troll gargantuan) However, it would be good to make advancements for the Scythemaster and Grand Master Bowman and Elvish Star

But also rather than move to make lvl 5 advancement of every unit i believe some of the sprites for the lvl 4 units still need work (to make them look better and be more unique from their lvl 3 version)
List of sprites that need a little improvement
-Orcish Vanguard (needs bigger pike)
-Orcish Plunger (needs to look more like the Pikeman he advances to)
-Orcish Nightblade (currently just a recoloring of one of the slayers animations)
-High Templar (needs some team color)
-Epic saber (almost an exact duplicate of the lvl 3)
-Elite Sentinel (helmet that looks like the lvl 5 High Custodian)
-Scythe Master (more unique helmet)
-Mystical Deadeye (some minor changes so looks less like the lvl 4)
-Dwarvish Battlerager (needs to be larger, to small for lvl 4)
-Drake Great Sword (looks clumsy, needs animations)
-Drake Grand Keeper (hard to tell from the lvl 3, needs some unique feature)
-Eternal Lich (doesn't look like an upgrade, looks like the same level as the ancient lich)
-Apparition (advancement of the Spectre but doesn't have a sycthe...)
-Water Naiad (looks not very good)
-Mage of Glory (needs to be bigger, it is too similar to the level 3)
-Outlaw Plunderer (doesn't fit the role of a plunderer, looks to lawful)
-Upriser (doesn't look like an advancement of the fugitive, needs a mace)
It is a long list, and the main reason i made it just now is so that i am able to remember what i want to do ;) . Most of them are just minor changes though.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

The_Gnat wrote: -Eternal Lich (doesn't look like an upgrade, looks like the same level as the ancient lich)
You could conceivably swap the dread lich sprite with the eternal lich sprite by changing the png file names. But that doesn't help bring you closer to another l5 unit.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

That's a good idea but i like having the Eternal Lich being able to fly (while the dread lich is clearly a walking unit) so i think i will just work on it a little (when i have time) and make it look more powerful.
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

By any chance The_Gnat do you want me to do a few of the sprites? I could get the humans and orcs done quickly.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Lordlewis wrote:By any chance The_Gnat do you want me to do a few of the sprites? I could get the humans and orcs done quickly.
Yes definitely! But all the help you have already done is great and so i don't want to obligate you to do any more. Which sprites would you like to do? :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I gave the Armoured Highwayman a bigger mace 8)
Attachments
armored-highwayman.png
armored-highwayman.png (3.69 KiB) Viewed 3777 times