Unknown Scenario

All questions/issues/feedback for the iOS version of Wesnoth belong here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

elzorrovega

Unknown Scenario

Post by elzorrovega »

iPad screenshot
iPad screenshot
iPad screenshot
iPad screenshot
Guys,

Awesome job in this latest version!

I was very sad when I upgraded to iOS 11.1.1 and I saw that the Wesnoth application did not work anymore. I played all the standard campaigns and sometimes realized that many hours passed and my iPad had almost no battery.

I started playing the add-ons and decided to load both Oath of Allegiance and A Vision Blinded. I experienced in both campaigns the same problem. It seems that when I finished a scenario I am not able to proceed to the next scenario. I see an unknown scenario error. When I go back to saved turns it seems that the main character has been killed. I managed to advance by redoing the entire scenario. Any hints?

I attach a screenshot.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by elzorrovega on December 3rd, 2017, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poison

Re: Unknown Scenario

Post by Poison »

For AVB in the past you could just rename the addon folder from A_Vision_Blinded_vX to just A_Vision_Blinded for the PC. Idk if you can access the add-on files in ios though, just throwing it there.
elzorrovega

Post by elzorrovega »

Deal Poison. Thanks for your reply; however, with my limited skills in iOS it’s almost mission impossible to find data files let alone rename them for a given iPad application. I tried at least two separate apps which will transfer photos; music; and documents. A agree that in DOS environment changing names is relatively simple if you know where to look, but in the iOS Apple locks the file access and gives the user such “wonderful” tools like iTunes...

If you know some way to get into iOS data files, I am all ears. As I mentioned before, I did not find this issue with the mainstream campaigns. I played the camping “A Tale of Two Brothers” and it run like before. Since you mentioned about renaming files, it this an issue with the actual source files.

By the way, I do remember that in PC environment there is a Wesnoth Editor to develop you own scenarios. Do you know if a iOS version exist? Can this tool be used to adjust campaigns?
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Ouch. Sorry, I missed your post
Thanks for reporting the problem, and welcome to the forums!

You attached only one screenshot - which campaign is it from? What is the other campaign's problem scenario?
You could report them in the add-ons' threads, or I could do it for you:
* A Vision Blinded
* Oath of Allegiance

Indeed, the task of editing the files on iOS is nontrivial and includes jailbreaking. The easier way must be to get the add-on fixed.

No, iOS editor does not exist as of now, and even is not planned till more pressing matters are resolved, like iPhone version, bugs, controls polishing, or iCloud/GameCenter integration. You can use editor on PC to create add-ons that will work on iOS though.
elzorrovega

Post by elzorrovega »

Thanks for your response Singalen. I am happy to join the Wesnoth community. I was wondering if this was related to the official add-ons source files or this was a platform related issue? Feel free to move it to another forum and its associated threads.

For what concerns A Vision Blinded (AVB), I experience this unknown scenario error when I try to finish the fourth scenario: New Mutiny.

For what concerns the Oath of Allegiance, I started to get this unknown scenario error after the second scenario. Another curious item is that if I go back to saved turns in the given scenario, the main characters are “dead”. I decided to erased all saved files and jumped to AVB campaign.

As the great bard once said: “Something is rotten in the state of Denmark”.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

I think it's either a scenario bug, or a long-standing corrupt Wesnoth cache bug... or something else.

If it's AVB-specific, the author might fix it pretty soon.
If it's corrupt cache, I'll take a shot at it in the nearest month; no promises, though.
If it's something else, then I'm afraid it will take quite a while to fix. Sorry 8(
elzorrovega

Post by elzorrovega »

Hello Singalen. Thanks for prompt response.
Let’s hope it’s either of the first two cases. As such, I would consider the fix as a Christmas present. If the issue of the third case, then then I guess that patience is a virtue
CommodorePerry

Post by CommodorePerry »

Hi Singalen,

I’m a new user of the forums but a longtime Wesnoth player. Thank you for the time you put into the forums, this game has been a great source of enjoyment for me. I have experienced the same thing as the OP is raising, and have had it happen on a number of different add on campaigns but not a basic campaign. It has only happened to me since i upgraded to the new version of wesnoth earlier in November. I believe it is a problem with the auto save, or the save itself. When i leave a campaign and return some or all of my units do not appear on the map and when i load a specific “turn” or when i load a scenario i get the same message as the OP screenshot. It was happening to me also when i completed a scenario and the game couldnt advance to the next scenario so i deleted the game and re downloaded it, that hasnt repeated yet but its only a few days old. Thanks in advance for your attention to the issue

Perry
elzorrovega

Post by elzorrovega »

Hello Singalen,

It’s me again that foxy guy.

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news but I tried another add-on campaign: A new Home. As I played the fourth scenario and try to end it, I get the same “unknown scenario error”. This is now three add-ons in which the same error occurs. I attach another screenshot.
Attachments
DAD080FB-02E0-49B7-9BF4-60017F05192F.jpeg
elzorrovega

Post by elzorrovega »

Hello Singalen,

I think that I have narrowed the issue with the missing scenarios in add-on campaigns!

I was replaying fourth scenario from the saved games of the A New Home campaign. The problem persists. I decided to go back to the add-one subroutine in the game’s main page and erase the campaign. I reload it again. Since the main program keeps saved saved games, I was able to reload the fourth scenario and proceed to the six. I had a similar situation going from the seventh to the eighth scenario.

Could this be a buffer overload somewhere in the main program that is cleared when we have a “virgin” copy of the add-on campaign?
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Wow, that's complicated. Thanks!
I don't think it's exactly buffer overflow, but something in the game state definitely gets broken.
The broken add-ons is my nearest priority, there's much unhappiness caused by this bug.

A small piece of good news: a new iOS release should have many crashes fixed, and a better performance.
elzorrovega

Post by elzorrovega »

Hello Singalen,

Thanks for the application update.

Concerning the “program state” issue, I believe that there is a lead.

As mentioned in the previous reply, when add-on campaigns give these funny errors then use the add-on button from the main menu to delete any given campaign and reload it. This operation seems to temporarily correct the fault. It’s not elegant but it can suffice until the root cause is found and solved.

If I can help in testing something else let me know.

Regards,
Aidoneus

Post by Aidoneus »

I have been having the same problem on my iPad with Legend of the Invincibles. Most recently, I got the missing scenario error at the start of Apologies, which also included the disappearance of Efraim from the previous scenarios. I tried the suggestion of deleting the add-on and reinstalling it. Now it loads without the missing scenario error warning but also no Efraim. I sure hope that the next release can fix the caching issues.
Attachments
6CB4525B-B78E-4265-BF29-B9C88374644D.png
Aidoneus

Post by Aidoneus »

It seems that no amount of deleting and reinstalling add-ons can get Efraim to appear at the start of Legend of the Invincibles: Apologies. Anyone have a suggestion of how I might get this to work on my iPad?
elzorrovega

Post by elzorrovega »

Hello Aidoneus,
Perhaps I was not clear in my post.
The trick is to erase another camping add-on than the one you are interested in.
There must be part of the code which is restored and you can continue to play your campaign.
This trick has worked for me in campaign Oath of Allegiance and a Vision Blinded.
One would assume it may work with other Campaigns.
I hope this helps.