Anime add on removed

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

X-men

Anime add on removed

Post by X-men »

Hi , my add on got removed due to copyright reasons , and i have no problems with that (because actually it's right) , but it was a nice add on , many people liked it , so i wanted to ask if there's any way i can publish it again without problems and , if yes , tell me what and how to do :hmm: (and i took the sprites from people who actually make them public and downloadable , so actually there aren't problems about "stealing" if i give credits somewhere am i right?).
Last edited by X-men on November 19th, 2017, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Re: Anime add on removed

Post by Computer_Player »

I've not heard of this add-on. THIS MUST BE RESURRECTED!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Add-ons based on other people's intellectual property cannot be uploaded to these forums or the official add-ons server, unless that intellectual property is already available under the GNU GPL or a Creative Commons license, though we obviously can't prevent you from making your add-on available for download elsewhere.

So, short of either making your own content, or finding an anime who's intellectual property is under the GNU GPL or Creative Commons, there is no way for you to re-upload your add-ons.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Kingreaper

Post by Kingreaper »

What part of the piece was in breach?

If it's the sprites then you need to do two things - 1) make sure that the license they're available to you under is actually an acceptable one (IIRC that means GNU; CC without ND or NC; or public domain)

2) Make sure the people releasing them actually have the full rights to them. If they're directly based off copyrighted characters, they may well not.

If it's character names - just change them.

If it's the storyline - well that could require a lot of reworking.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Haven't heard of it either, it must be plagued so I can try it!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Kingreaper wrote:What part of the piece was in breach?
He has a link to a screenshot of his add-on(an era) in his signature, which is fairly self explanatory I think.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

While you can't use the exact add-on that was taken down, you can always upload an "anime mod" that uses your own original designs that are only inspired by content. "Shinigami", "ninja", "guy with orange hair" aren't trademarked, but characters like Naruto and Ichigo are however. So you can use pieces but don't stick them together in a way that is close to something else that belongs to someone else, and don't just make OCs of your favorite anime and use those either because you'll end up using settings, terms, or characters to explain them that still aren't yours to use, even if only in passing. And don't just recolor JUS sprites and call them new characters either.

Just be creative with your own new setting or even just apply anime style to what wesnoth has already with little twists. Konrad does have spiky orange hair after all and a destiny to be the next [person of great importance] after all.

If you can't currently sprite or weave great stories, this is a great place to learn and practice and you should seize the opportunity.
X-men

Post by X-men »

Pentarctagon wrote:Add-ons based on other people's intellectual property cannot be uploaded to these forums or the official add-ons server, unless that intellectual property is already available under the GNU GPL or a Creative Commons license, though we obviously can't prevent you from making your add-on available for download elsewhere.

So, short of either making your own content, or finding an anime who's intellectual property is under the GNU GPL or Creative Commons, there is no way for you to re-upload your add-ons.
i see... ok , anyways thanks for explaining. :)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Anime era??? Give me the link!
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Remember, the rules are different due to the form of the IP.

For example, for copyright, it's "work of significant originalality" which is why recoloring isn't enough. You'll probably run afoul of this if you're using background characters from a favorite anime. As background characters, they're certainly copyrighted but unlikely to be trademarked.

But, for a trademark it's "confusingly similar". Here, if your work recognizably looks like your favorite main or title anime character, even though you took pains to make it your creation, you'll probably run into problems.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
wingsfalcon

Post by wingsfalcon »

I really feel sorry that the GNU as a certifier does not want to receive your artificial when it is just a creativity just is not on sale.