Vulpine's "art" thread. (and questions concerning art)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Vulpine's "art" thread. (and questions concerning art)

Post by Vyncyn »

Looks good to me
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

It's been a while since I've made a decent sprite. Last half-decent thing I did was probably three months ago when I helped my cousin draw some sprites for a speed build.
all_mice.png
all_mice.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
(Yes, I realize I should have blurred/smeared the lines coming out of the back of the running rodent's personal whirlwind.)

So I thought I'd build another unit. This still needs some adjustment to the anatomy and pose, but I figured I'd post it anyway.
new_unit.png
new_unit.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
I was going for a rapier stance with the feet, but I'm not sure it turned out well... The purple will eventually turn into TC

And as if I didn't already have enough on my plate...
I don't know what it is with Girgistian and awesome orcs...
... and the linework I inevitably have to clean up...
... and the linework I inevitably have to clean up...
If ever I learned a lesson from this, it's always always clean up the lines before I start shading. :eng:
So cleaning up linework is what this piece has in store for me. Which means: To the Back Burner it goes.

Any comments on the direction the human sprite is going?
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

The feet are a good start, but if he's in a rapier stance his whole upper body needs to be at an angle too.
I drew in where his shoulders (yellow) and torso (orange) should be. Also made some small corrections on his feet (red, obviously); the right foot should face south to south-east and the other one south-west.
new_unit.png
new_unit.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 6670 times
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Ah! Good point, It hadn't occurred to me. :) I'll be working on that.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

I'm having a bit of trouble with getting the body to look like it's sideways. Oh well. It'll do I guess. I may use this as another one of my characters if it turns out well.
Attachments
new_unit-2.png
new_unit-2.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Well, changed the hairdo a bit. It was looking too much like the fencer. I'm working on the weapons now. Not sure what I want him to wield... A rapier maybe?

Edit: Whoah... Triple post. Should I merge them?
Attachments
Brother can you spare a dime...
Brother can you spare a dime...
new_unit-3.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 6586 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
-Falcon

Post by -Falcon »

It looks like he is looking up or is getting choked by the cape. :P
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

-Falcon wrote:It looks like he is looking up or is getting choked by the cape. :P
:lol: I tweaked the head slightly, but I'm thinking perhaps I should frankenstein a head onto him... and some weapons. Either that or put some real effort into the thing. Maybe I'd better draw a guy with a helmet next; add some variety to the units I draw. So far it's just been the elusive type.
Attachments
new_unit-4_sword.png
new_unit-4_sword.png (11.02 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
new_unit-4_daggers.png
new_unit-4_daggers.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Here's that guy with the helmet I mentioned... After reading this by Vyncyn, I took a shot at it with a UMC orc unit.
I just kind of threw the cloak on, because it's the easiest method of team coloring I know of :whistle:
I'll probably try adding a plume, or something else instead.
Warrior-1.png
Warrior-1.png (10.42 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
Edit: And with a shadow and some other tweaks:
Warrior-2.png
Warrior-2.png (10.47 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You should use more dark colors, that warrior looks like a spaceman. Don't worry about outlines too much, except maybe for the left side of the sprite (assuming eastern light-source).
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

doofus-01 wrote:You should use more dark colors, that warrior looks like a spaceman. Don't worry about outlines too much, except maybe for the left side of the sprite (assuming eastern light-source).
Thank you for the color tip! I wouldn't have given the brightness another thought, if left to my own devices.

I'm aware it's been a couple of months; I had intended to do another sprite and put it up with the next iteration of the armored orc (actually, he looks a bit more skeletal than orc to me), and naturally it took forever to get around to it. Sorry about that seriously; I do feel bad about taking so long to respond to your advice.

I've gotten around to doing another sprite, and I've got it to the point where I just need to fix anatomical issues and make the detail stand out a bit more. (And fix that head..) I'm going for a longsword middle-guard, because that looks least ridiculous on a static sprite.
Attachments
arrith-1.png
arrith-1.png (10.63 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
Warrior-3.png
Warrior-3.png (2.86 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Nice to see new artwork from you.
I like the pose of the new sprite. It's hard to draw a good one for twohanded weapons (especially swords. I don't think I've seen many mainline examples), but you handled it pretty well.
Nevertheless, as you've said yourself, there are some anatomical issues.

The main problem I see with the new sprite are the legs. On the outside they go upwards, but there is a horizontal line between them, so they have triangluar shape. I think it's easiest fixed if you just remove the horizontal part.
The blade of the sword doesn't form a straight line with the handle. If you move the upper body and the blade up 1 pixel it'll look better and help with the leg problem too.
The hands are too small for the handle. I'd make each of them 1 pixel wider.
The hair looks too flat. You could add another shade as contrast (maybe some dark orange lines).
The shading on the shoes could use some more work. You could use your fencer unit as reference.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Vyncyn wrote:Nice to see new artwork from you.
I like the pose of the new sprite. It's hard to draw a good one for twohanded weapons (especially swords. I don't think I've seen many mainline examples), but you handled it pretty well.
Thanks! I've been doing research on longsword fighting recently, and I'm kind of obsessed.
Nevertheless, as you've said yourself, there are some anatomical issues.

The main problem I see with the new sprite are the legs. On the outside they go upwards, but there is a horizontal line between them, so they have triangluar shape. I think it's easiest fixed if you just remove the horizontal part.
The blade of the sword doesn't form a straight line with the handle. If you move the upper body and the blade up 1 pixel it'll look better and help with the leg problem too.
The hands are too small for the handle. I'd make each of them 1 pixel wider.
The hair looks too flat. You could add another shade as contrast (maybe some dark orange lines).
The shading on the shoes could use some more work. You could use your fencer unit as reference.
Okay, so the hair needs more work, even though I plan on giving him a fancy hat. The boots now, I'm happy with my mediocre work, but my eyes are still mostly untrained.
Next up I plan on figuring out how to get the cloak to look black, not purple.
Attachments
arrith-2.png
arrith-2.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Now I remember why I always stopped drawing... That hat is giving me no end of trouble :x I can't get it to look decent. Of course, making the hair behave differently might help, but I'm dropping it for tonight. Actually, on second thought, changing the hair might be all I need.. :hmm:
Attachments
arrith-3.png
arrith-3.png (10.67 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Hmm. You could use the hat of the duelist or master at arms as reference. I think it looks ok though. The basic shape is recogniceable.
It would help if you remove a few pixels of hair and/or make it darker on each side.