Maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gbnmvfx

Maps

Post by gbnmvfx »

asdf
Last edited by gbnmvfx on October 22nd, 2017, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Gnat

Re: Maps

Post by The_Gnat »

Great i love this map pack, at first i thought that having letters might not be good strategically but it is actually really fun! :D I particularly like Y and YX! 8) All of the maps are really good (also when you upload them to the server you should give more details about the maps like: "68 small to large sized maps shaped after letters of the alphabet"). :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

gbnmvfx wrote:Thank you Gnat. Y was one of the first maps I have made. I have seen some maps of other users that are much more complex regarding the terrain, but I honestly don't understand them. I am still playing on easy, I think there are people like me. I am going to mention that in the description. :)
I personally like using lots of different terrains so that the maps look cool ;) but as for game play maps can be really fun strategically without any complex terrains at all, like yours are! :D

(and i still play easy also)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

gbnmvfx wrote:What is a standard wesnoth file?
It means the icon should only be from mainline Wesnoth, not from an add-on. Otherwise other people who don't have the add-on installed also won't have the image you used as an icon, and to them it will look like you didn't set any icon at all, even though to you everything will look fine.
gbnmvfx wrote:I must have done something wrong, because the maps aren't shown in the map selection.
You'll need to learn a little bit of Wesnoth Markup Language(WML) to get them to show up. This page should help with setting up your add-on, and info on creating a scenario file for each map is here.

A simple example of a scenario file I use in my own add-on:

Code: Select all

[multiplayer]
  id="Music"
  name="Music"
  map_data="{~add-ons/Wesnoth_Music_Player/maps/OceanOasis.map}"
  description=""

turns=-1

{FIRST_WATCH}
  {SECOND_WATCH}
  {DAWN}
  {MORNING}
  {AFTERNOON}
  {DUSK}

experience_modifier=70%
  victory_when_enemies_defeated=no
  random_start_time=no

[event]
    name="prestart"
    [objectives]
      [objective]
        condition="win"
        description="Listen"
      [/objective]
    [/objectives]
  [/event]

[side]
    side=1
    canrecruit=yes
    faction="Loyalists"
    type="White Mage"
    gender="female"
    controller="human"
    color="black"
    allow_player=yes
    gold=100
    income=-2
    fog=no
    shroud=no
    team_name=1
  [/side]

[/multiplayer]
And if you're having any issues with getting things to work, the WML Workshop forum is the place to ask about them :)
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
enclave

Post by enclave »

You may also look my version of how to post add-on, here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 77#p616016
who knows, maybe you find it more understandable..
but yeah I guess for maps you would also need to make scenarios folder with scenario *.cfg file for each map..
If you would like me to show examples on how to do it, let me know, I will post an extra topic with making scenarios for maps.. or you may also find examples in each add-on that contains maps.. look "scenarios" and "maps" folders inside add-ons, it's easy to understand, you just need to open *.cfg files with notepad or wordpad or any other basic text editor.
enclave

Post by enclave »

gbnmvfx wrote:ok. Then I am going to use an icon from the mainline and create scenarios. Thank you :)

I changed my mind. Feel free to publish them or a selection of them as scenarios on the server. I use them as maps, not as scenarios and have no idea how to configure the settings because I only play against the ai. Modify them, if you want.

I want to focus an creating maps, too. I am already working on another one, which I am going to upload as well.
Hi, I wanted to download your add-on and show you one example on how to make a scenario for one of your maps so you could copy paste the rest but it disappeared from server, possibly because you didn't have scenario cfgs..
Without scenarios, to the best of my knowledge, maps will not work and would only be used for a coder as a resource, so you have 2 options:
1) If it was not you who removed your add-on (map pack) from server then just open your *.pbl file and change your type into something else, for example:
type="media" (fits best to my opinion)
type="other" (if they remove your add-on again)
Unless they removed it for some other reason, but I assume it's the abscence of scenarios.
2) Below I will give you an example what a scenario file does and how to create it, it's not any harder than making *.pbl file

All maps have scenarios... Scenarios is needed for multiple reasons:
a) To give an idea how many players the map is for.. what are their colors.. are they in teams, or FFA or other.. is the map to play with fog by default or not.. How much starting gold each side should have.. if the side is AI controlled or human controlled...
b) You can create a survival map, or any other custom content in same scenarios cfg file if you wish to do so..

The core maps also have scenarios for each map.. for example Wesnoth contains "4p_Isars_Cross.map" in data/multiplayer/maps folder...
And it also contains "4p_Isars_Cross.cfg" to make it appear in your list of maps when you are trying to host a game.. because scenario file has a name of the map in it and without it you would not even have a name of the map in the list of maps.. (I guess in ideal world it could just use "your_map.map" as a name.. but it's different story)

So below are the full contents of Isars Cross map scenario as it comes with your Wesnoth by default:

#textdomain wesnoth-multiplayer

# created by Becephalus 01/06, revised by Bec 5/06

[multiplayer]
    id=multiplayer_Isars_Cross
    name= _ "4p — Isar’s Cross"
    map_data="{multiplayer/maps/4p_Isars_Cross.map}"
    description= _ "A very small 2 vs. 2 map. Close quarters fighting means the successful rotation of units and planning of moves is important. Teams set for players 1&4 vs. 2&3 (northeast vs. southwest). Designed for 75 starting gold, 20 villages."

{DEFAULT_SCHEDULE}
    {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}

[side]
        [ai]
            villages_per_scout=16
        [/ai]
        side=1
        team_name=south-west
        user_team_name= _ "teamname^Southwest"
        canrecruit=yes
        controller=human
        gold=75
        fog=yes
    [/side]
    [side]
        [ai]
            villages_per_scout=16
        [/ai]
        side=2
        team_name=north-east
        user_team_name= _ "teamname^Northeast"
        canrecruit=yes
        controller=human
        gold=75
        fog=yes
    [/side]
    [side]
        [ai]
            villages_per_scout=16
        [/ai]
        side=3
        team_name=north-east
        canrecruit=yes
        controller=human
        gold=75
        fog=yes
    [/side]
    [side]
        [ai]
            villages_per_scout=16
        [/ai]
        side=4
        team_name=south-west
        canrecruit=yes
        controller=human
        gold=75
        fog=yes
    [/side]
[/multiplayer]
So for example you have an add-on called "abcde", you have a folder there "maps" with your "a.map" in it for 2 players..
To create a scenario you would need to do the following steps:
1) create a folder inside your add-on called "scenarios"
2) create a new text file there, rename it into "a.cfg" (can be any name)
3) Make the minimal contents look like so: (possibly you dont necessary need to specify fog and other things, but I'm not sure, not tried)

[multiplayer]
    id=multiplayer_A
    name= _ "A"
    map_data="{~add-ons/abcde/maps/a.map}"
    description= _ "A-shaped map."

{DEFAULT_SCHEDULE}
    {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}

[side]
        side=1
        team_name=south-west
        canrecruit=yes
        controller=human
        gold=75
        fog=yes
    [/side]
    [side]
        side=2
        team_name=north-east
        canrecruit=yes
        controller=human
        gold=75
        fog=yes
    [/side]
[/multiplayer]
4) inside your add-on create a new text file and rename it into "_main.cfg" (in the same place as your "_server.pbl" file)
5) the contents would look like so:

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
	[binary_path]
		path=data/add-ons/abcde
	[/binary_path]
	{~add-ons/abcde/scenarios}
	{~add-ons/abcde/maps}
#endif
(when I say like so, I literarily mean you can just copy this right now into your "_main.cfg" and it will work for you if your add-on name is "abcde", otherwise you need to slightly modify the contents.
YOU ARE READY TO POST IT ;)
if you like to be more creative you can make one of your maps a survival, all you have to do is to add into your "a.cfg" scenario file a following content:

[event]
name=turn 3
[unit]
x,y=10,10
type=Spearman
side=2
[/unit]
[/event]
This would make a Spearman appear on turn 3 for player 2 into 10.10 coordinates. (the [event][/event] needs to be placed anywhere after [multiplayer] and before [/multiplayer])

I believe I mentioned all you need to get you started... if you want others to play your maps of course.. nobody else will do it for you ;) even me :D

PS. you can find default wesnoth images in core of your wesnoth, on my Windows 7 PC the path is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.2\data\core\images
yours may be different... And when you specify the image it would look like so:
icon="units/human-peasants/peasant-attack2.png" or to add more images together like so:
icon="misc/blank-hex.png~SCALE(120,120)~BLIT(units/human-peasants/peasant-attack2.png~CROP(20,20,50,50)~FL(horiz),45,15)~BLIT(units/goblins/spearman.png~CROP(20,20,50,50),5,0)~BLIT(items/axe.png~CROP(20,20,50,50)~SCALE(35,35),24,2)"

In your case you could create a letter "A" with set of images together, so a green letter "A" would look like this:
icon="misc/blank-hex.png~SCALE(1000,1000)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,500,300)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,475,350)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,525,350)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,450,400)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,550,400)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,425,450)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,575,450)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,400,500)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,600,500)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,375,550)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,625,550)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,350,600)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,650,600)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,325,650)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,675,650)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,425,500)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,575,500)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,450,500)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,550,500)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,475,500)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,525,500)~BLIT(terrain/grass/green.png,500,500)~SCALE(120,120)"
you can use "image create" add-on to play around with your images and create something complex.
enclave

Post by enclave »

gbnmvfx wrote:Thanks for the information enclave, but I really don't want to create scenarios. I only play against the ai and use the default settings all the time. I don't care if anyone wants to play them, I want to focus on creating maps and possibly discuss them. I think I am going to create new topics for it.
you can always come back to this post any time you ready for it ;) good luck! :)
gbnmvfx

Post by gbnmvfx »

Hi,

I still got the maps. I am going to get familiar with them again and create scenarios in the future.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

The user who created this thread edited his posts to "asdf". Therefore, they were removed and this thread has been locked.