Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Postby lujo » September 19th, 2017, 1:56 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Highest, 1.12.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

1 to kill one leader, ??? for more (I played at the highest difficulty and after having killed one guy I reloaded liberally so I can't tell)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Fine

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

No complaints

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Nothing, really, Initiates are a silly unit, and Brawlers are a ludicrous unit and they make the level rather easy, at leas as far as killing one guy is concerned. Killing more than one guy is somewhat difficult because it's hard to tell when to split up your force and how many units to allocate for killing one guy, and playing sensibly and conservatively sets you up against the clock. But that's the only real challenge, if the scenario had 2-4 more turns, with the full understanding of just how silly Initiates and Brawlers are there would not really be that much challenge.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

8. I don't even mind it being on the same map as the first scenario, but this earns it an 8 instead of a ten. For a good reason - the first scenario was more difficult than this one, and this caused me to play conservatively when I didn't really have to, and this ended up helping the clock which is the real opponent here.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I'd make sure the player gets prompted to pick up the ring. What happened to me caused quite a bit of dissapointment. I killed the SW leader first and didn't realize where the ring was or how you pick it up. So when I killed the other two leaders I had no time to pick the ring up and had to complete the level by going off the map, and I allready killed all the liches. Felt disconnected and dissapointing. I also didn't get the ring. So I'd do something about that.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Well, I didn't notice the ring and failed to pick it up. Then having killed all the enemies I had noone who could pick it up near the damned thing so I had to exit the map and "flee"... from nothing, all the enemies were dead. I didn't restart but it was tempting.
lujo
 
Posts: 27
Joined: December 10th, 2014, 10:21 pm

Re: Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Postby Poison » September 23rd, 2017, 7:04 am

lujo wrote:Well, I didn't notice the ring and failed to pick it up. Then having killed all the enemies I had noone who could pick it up near the damned thing so I had to exit the map and "flee"... from nothing, all the enemies were dead. I didn't restart but it was tempting.


Ummm... when you kill all the leaders the game ends automatically? :? (at least on 1.13.8 ) Make sure to mention it if that was not the case for you so it gets fixed. Unless you meant all the enemies near the SW leader, I really don't know how anyone could clear all the enemies in this level unless he kills the leaders.
User avatar
Poison
 
Posts: 87
Joined: August 13th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Re: Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Postby lujo » September 24th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Poison wrote:
lujo wrote:Well, I didn't notice the ring and failed to pick it up. Then having killed all the enemies I had noone who could pick it up near the damned thing so I had to exit the map and "flee"... from nothing, all the enemies were dead. I didn't restart but it was tempting.


Ummm... when you kill all the leaders the game ends automatically? :? (at least on 1.13.8 ) Make sure to mention it if that was not the case for you so it gets fixed. Unless you meant all the enemies near the SW leader, I really don't know how anyone could clear all the enemies in this level unless he kills the leaders.


On 1.12.6 (the current "stable branch" download at the time of writing), when you kill all the enemy leaders, the game doesn't end. If you haven't picked up the ring which the orange leader drops, you get a message saying "Pick up the ring to end the level". I killed that enemy leader first, and I didn't even notice where the ring was (I thought the unit which killed him got it automatically). So I moved on to killing the other two, and did it on the last turn. I got the message to pick up the ring, I couldn't do it because I had no units nearby and I had to end the level by exiting the map with my leader.
lujo
 
Posts: 27
Joined: December 10th, 2014, 10:21 pm

Re: Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Postby beetlenaut » September 24th, 2017, 11:41 pm

I don't know why this happens. Maybe I was just being lazy when I wrote it. But, since there is no story reason for you to have the ring, this should probably be considered a bug.
Campaigns: Dead Water
The Founding of Borstep
Secrets of the Ancients
User avatar
beetlenaut
Developer
 
Posts: 2075
Joined: December 8th, 2007, 3:21 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Postby lujo » September 25th, 2017, 12:19 pm

beetlenaut wrote:I don't know why this happens. Maybe I was just being lazy when I wrote it. But, since there is no story reason for you to have the ring, this should probably be considered a bug.


Is there anything I can do to help fix it? I can't confirm what the situation is in 1.13.X but someone who knows how to write code for scenarios could easily check if there's a message you get which says something like "pick u the ring to end the scenario"...

The actual problem isn't so much that, but the fact that the ring is easy to miss. I got the message that "there's a ring here" when I killed the enemy leader who drops it, but I didn't realize it was there on the ground and that I had to pick it up as it was quite hard to see.
lujo
 
Posts: 27
Joined: December 10th, 2014, 10:21 pm

Previous

Return to Dead Water

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests