A Whim of Fate [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: A Whim of Fate [SP Campaign]

Post by Aldarisvet »

MrNevino wrote:Just finished the first 2 chapters you have so far, I really enjoyed the campaign, though I wish you would expand on Volderghast(or however you spell i) and what ends up happening with him and Korna.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
Thank you.
So you assume that 'ghast' = 'gift' in German?
And about more of my works, I will finish Zombies:Introduction campaign in two weeks, it would be a prequel to A Whim of Fate and I think that tactically it would be very original.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
MrNevino

Post by MrNevino »

Aldarisvet wrote:
MrNevino wrote:Just finished the first 2 chapters you have so far, I really enjoyed the campaign, though I wish you would expand on Volderghast(or however you spell i) and what ends up happening with him and Korna.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
Thank you.
So you assume that 'ghast' = 'gift' in German?
And about more of my works, I will finish Zombies:Introduction campaign in two weeks, it would be a prequel to A Whim of Fate and I think that tactically it would be very original.
I don't get your meaning about the ghost thing lol I am talking about what happens in the relationship, because he kind of just leaves, unless of course he will be more present in the coming chapters
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Today I updated the campaign from version 0.8.3 to 0.8.4.
The main purpose of the update is to save on the server all the changes that was made during recent months.

So the log of changes:
1. The first scenario of Chapter III is ready and playable. In this scenario are used most of franken sprites and portraits and other stuff that would be used further in Chapter III (for Karna's and Morivor's sprites/portraits these changes affected back to Chapter II). So it is a great breakthrough.
2. There are large corrections of texts in previous chapter. First of all, Faelord, thank him, corrected grammar mistakes. Later I did other changes. First of all, I extendent the final dialogue of the Chapter II to make it clear why Velendar finally joined the Silver Mage Order. The second thing - in texts of objectives of many scenarios I put clear tactical tips so there is no need to guess for some unobvious tactics. Also I removed the phrase in the beginning of the first scenario that connects Velendar's name to elves, instead I put a reference to Zombies:Introduction campaign, Velendar is a name of an ancestor. I largely renamed heroes and units with rune swords, the system now is: 'Runesworded someone' advances to 'Battle someone'.
3. Unit characteristics changes: All Healer Mages (and so all white mages of the White monastery) have quick trait by default so they all can move 3 tiles in the forest in one turn. In Chapter II and later Solaevin's healing ability cannot advance from Heals +4, as the compensation I increased her arcane attack in both levels, from 8-2 to 9-2 and from 9-3 to 10-3 accordingly. This is made for Solaevin to be used as a leader but not a healer. Runsworded Shadowmages have still 5 MP but they advance to Battle Shadowmages with 6 MP. Increased Runsworded Shadowmages shadow attack by 1 to from 8-2 to 9-2, decreased Battle Shadowmages shadow attack from 16-2 to 15-2 and also decreased their cold attack from 9-4 to 8-4, a price of faster movement.
4. Tactical changes: In the scenario 4 with bats and necromancers I increased agressiveness to 0.8 for bats. In the scenario 7 with zombie bats/woses and liches I removed 'passive leader' script and put MP=0 modification instead as with scenario 4, so the leader will not suicide leaving the camp but also will not stay passively when he can range attack a nearby enemy unit.
5. Map changes: In the scenario 5 with dwarves attacking the monastery I fully surrounded the camp of Gryphons Riders with water. So it is impossible to just come and kill Gryphon Master through the east. I hope now players would play the scenario as I designed. In the scenario 7 with zombie bats/woses I added more forest to the map so zombie woses would come to the center faster.

But main thing about the update is of course the first scenario of Chapter III. Many heroes, many loyal units, interesting tactical challenge, and a continuation of the story about Solaevin and Velendar awaits you (and you can start right from that new scenario as it begins a new chapter). One of the most interesting thing of Chapter III is that Destroyers faction from Era of Magic by inferno is to be used as the main enemy. There was no campaign with that faction so far. So here is the printscreen of the random fight moment.
destr.png
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I am happy to inform that a new update of the campaign reflected in Wesnoth units database.

http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/A_Whim_of ... _Fate.html

So looking at it you can get an impression about custom units campaign uses. Except Spider Lichling and Flesh Golem from UtBS which is not used in the campaign for now. Also some more custom units would be added later, but the most of work is done. Also there appeared bugs with Outrider Lord and Mara, I will look into it.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I've just urgently updated the campaign because I got the feedback message about the critical error on campaign's feedback page on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/4awof
So finally my idea to gather feedback from facebook was not for nothing despite for now I got only 2 feedback messages there (for 9 months of that page existing in facebook).

The bug was because I renamed the type name of one of the main heroes (Gorandor) but forgot to rename it in [unit] WML tag calling him, so he was just not appearing and without him it was not possible to continue playing the campaing after the scenario 5.
Also I fixed some other issues concerning Wesnoth Units Database so I hope to see no broken sprites/portraits after the next Database update.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Version 0.8.5 of the campaign have been released in 1.12 server.
Second scenario of the Chapter III was added and also some minor bugs were fixed.

The second scenario reveals answers for some major plotline questions that were left unanswered after the second chapter. Scenario is named 'Astral duel', it has an accent on unusual tactical gameplay and is independent from the previous scenario from recall point of view. Also it sheds the light in some aspects of teleportation ability of Silver mages. The text below is from the story part of the newly added scenario.

Silver mages use astral dimension to teleport through one place in the material plane to other. No one actually can get used being there. It feels like your naked soul sweeping in the chaotic void where nothing is real. Different persons can have different visions during their voyage through that dimension. The only important thing is to remember who are you and where you really want to get or you would get lost there forever. The voyage can seem lasting for the infinity and really is a challenge for any user of that practice. Only persons with a strong spirit can use this technique and Silver Mages spend much time in meditation to train their concentration and willpower to be ready for such a challenge.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Now imagine that.
I created a feedback page for my campaign and put the link on the description of the game inside Add-ons sever. This is the only place where the link exists except this forgotten thread.

https://www.facebook.com/4awof/

The page got 72 likes already! That really is a result, obviously people cared to put the URL in the browser and liked the page because they like the campaign. So facebook really works.
But likes is the only what people can do! Despite I beg for the feedback there, just few persons wrote/PM me something about the campaign and none tried to provide me replays in which I really in badly need. Such a paradox!

Well, nevertheless, I am going to continue the work over the campaign this summer and I hope to finish it this year.
Edraec

Post by Edraec »

Hello!

Honestly, I loved the campaign. The story is deep, and can provide us a better understanding of the mysterious orders of magi, but also is harder than the average, and represents a real challenge. However, the scenarios can be a bit monotonous sometimes, as you have to kill hordes of the same kind of unit, and the most effective strategies consist on repeating the same tactic over and over again until you finish the carnage.

(example: in the "Tribal wars" map, you just need to stay away as much as you can from the towns, and capturing them with saurians by moving them close but far enough to be safe from the visionaries...and repat until you have a good army and win. However, it was the hardest map I ever played...)

By the way, just something to correct....there is a problem in chapter III scenario 1: Solaevin is attacked by the master necromancer, you see the normal silvergame sprite animation.

Also, as requested by the campaign creator, I attach my replays.
Attachments
AWOF-Useless_poison_repetición.gz
(41.13 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
AWOF-Invisible_Green_replay.gz
(60.44 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
AWOF-Tribal_War_replay.gz
(86.73 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
AWOF-Steady_dwarves_repetición.gz
(75.83 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
AWOF-Poor_goblins_replay.gz
(9.5 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
Last edited by Edraec on July 2nd, 2017, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edraec

Post by Edraec »

...and here you have more replays. Surprisingly, Winged Forest was the easiest scenario I played in the whole campaign.

Just let me know if you need further feedback!
Attachments
AWOF-Berserkers_Frenzy_replay.gz
(56.14 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
AWOF-Winged_Forests_replay.gz
(63.97 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
AWOF-Winged_swamps_replay.gz
(98.33 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
AWOF-Winged_plains_replay.gz
(70.23 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Hi, Edraec! Thank you much for replays again! Your replays helped me greatly, for some scenarios I had not any replays before.

(I want to add that Edraec came to this forum from facebook page created for AWOF feedback, where he PM me, I asked him to register in the forum and post replays here, so if not facebook, I would never get these replays.)

Now I will comment replays. You played on Hard, and it is not an easy campaign, so passing it obviously needed a hard work. I saw that you was not abusing save and loads much, because statistics shows you got just a little advantage. However, obviously you used save/loads to save heroes and loyal units or even important units. I was doing the same for years before I was explained in this forum that good style implyes playing without reloads. So from my point of view you played recklessly when in many-many situations you risked you heroes (for example, if AI can kill your hero if he can get 2-3 successfull attacks from 4 possibilities, this is unacceptable risk). I myself tested all my scenarios on Hard so them could be passed without reloads and without risking life of heroes. Sometimes you was forced to use unsafe style of playing because used wrong strategy, well, to say another way, not that strategy I designed to be used. So my comments by scenarios:

1. Poor goblins. Empty replay because you had to load Chapter III from this scenario. My bad, I forgot to put next_scenario tag at the last scenario of Chapter II. Well, this scenario is largely feedbacked anycase.
2. Useless poison. This scenario is mostly about using Solaevin's stop poison ability on her comrades and also as in scenario 1 about using Velendar's leadership and undead healing abilities. I only mention again that you played too risky with your heroes there and also failed to level up all heroes to lvl2 in this scenario, especially advancing Solaevin is important.
3. Steady dwarves. Would you recruit only Guardsman in the beginning, as thick hinted in scenario objectives, defending eastern passage would be a cakewalk. Instead you got problems and several times put Solaevin in the situation where she should be killed for sure. Also it is good to advance Gorandor to Marshal so he would use his leadership over zombies together with Velendar. But in general you played as I designed, as in previous scenario.
4. Winged plains. Well, this time you played not as I planned despite strict recommendation in scenario objectives. Instead of using both cheap ruffians/peasants and Karna's teleportation abilities (to teleport her over the whole map supporting peasants/ruffians). You defended in the center until you get your Mounted Peasants advanced to Horsemen and only after defeated bats. Well, with horsemans it is much easier indeed. But normally you are not supposed to survive given you let AI to take all the villages. This scenario is about fighting over the control for villages, as in many scenarios in my campaign. So what I will do to fix it - I will put all resistances for Mounted Peasant to 0 as peasant have, so they will not have 20% resistance against blade attacks of Bats. I hope this will make the strategy you used harder or almost impossibe. Also I want to add that almost anyone who played this scenario was trying to play it the way you did. But I want to show more of tactical potential of Wesnoth in my campaign than hackneyed "holding the line" tactic which is presented in most mainline campaigns.
5. Berserker frenzy. In previous version of this scenario everyone played it totally not as I designed - instead of fighting with berserkers in hills they simple went and kill Gryphon leader. So I prevented it creating deep water to the east to him. I am more satisfied now given how you played it. This scenario is about "holding the line", but in very unusual and uncomfortable circumstances - in hills vs dwarvish berserkers also threatened by gryphons from the right flank. Well, you got really a lot of horsemans from the previous scenario so you was ok there. But Karna should be used to take villages in the south-west and also you should start to recruit and get XP for Healer mages. And also Karna should not be able to advance to lvl4 in Chpater II, I will fix it.
6. Invisible green. In this scenario you have to "hold the line" again but again in uncomfortable circumstances - against invisible enemy. Also it is about using Solaevin's leadership over the Healer/White mages. Well, you preferred to use only units you got in the start. Normally you shoudnt cope it so, there were several moments when you was not able to hold the line and save your units, but reloads saved all of them. Actually you can recruit many Healer Mages at start and they are very effective against Woses so to the end of scenario you could advance them greatly.
7. Winged swamps. Heh, I see you berely passed this scenario, 48/50 turns. To say truth, you let many units die, but still saved all loyal units and heroes with reloads, several times they could be killed for sure. But even with that it was 48/50. Well, I am satiisfied it was so hard, he-he. But actually it is because you totally neglected getting White mages in previous two scenarios. Would you recall several White Mages at start it would be much easier scenario given holy attacks are very effective against zombies. This scenario is about control over villages and you could more actively try to fight over them with saurians from the beginning while sending groups of mages to kill enemy liches. You was a bit late to take control over villages I think but in general played as I expected.
8. Tribal War. You got the main thing about this scenario. But again, without recalling White Mages it was not easy at all. In general you played as I expected.
9. Winged Forests. Instead of retreating at start you recklessly attacked and somehow this brought results. Stupid AI moved his leader away from the camp, you was able to slow and surround it (normally you could lose some of your heroes with such tactic because lvl4 Abaddon is extremely dangerous and he was not alone also but nevertheless). Early killing of one of enemy leaders made you task greatly easier and surprisingly you was able to kill the rest of the enemy relatively easy. Still the battle was great, he-he. Well, I just fix that thing so enemy AI would not be able to suicide so I hope the player would be forced to retread and surrender beginning castle as I designed. This senario is about unisng teleportarion abilities of Silver Mages largely to defend villages.

Thats all. I hope you would not be disappointed by my comments over you style of playing, I was thinking too that reloading is ok but actually even minor reloading is very unfair to AI, and AI is too stupid. If you can lose you hero with 1/10 probablity you think it is normal that you dont lose it, but if you risk him with 1/10 for 10 times throught the scenario that normally means that you should lose that scenario. Also I am as author know far better how the campaign should be played through but it is ok, so I hope you would be interested to read things I wrote here.
Edraec

Post by Edraec »

Well, finally I did it! I won the "Astral Duel" level. It was hard, but when I realized that conquering the towns was the most important, I won.

Here you have the replay. This time I also tried to follow your game philosophy (no abuse of "save and reload" tactic).

I'm sure you didn't expect that ending - neither did I.

About your feedback, thank you very much. I will reply you back:

1. Poor goblins. Yes, I didn't notice it was empty.
2. Useless poison. You are right. I didn't realize it.
3. Steady dwarves. I noted the advice, but honestly, Guardsman don't give you such a great advantage. They only have that defense bonus, which isn't that great. It had the feeling they would be killed anyway in the eastern passage. About Solaevin, yes, I risked her a lot, but she helped me greatly to hold the position. By the way, it was a very funny map, I enjoyed it.
4. Winged plains. Well, I previously tried to stick to the recommendation. First time I played, I tried with ruffians and peasants, but I couldn't keep any town, while the enemies kept swarming bats massively: Karna's help wasn't enough to keep a good number of villages. They were very weak and easily killed. However, the strategy of the Mounted Peasants was quite easier. You should consider to keep it as an alternative strategy, please don't change it! It also had some merit to advance the mounted peasants to Horsemen. In fact, they also proved useful in the next scenarios (so in the end, it was more benefical for the players to win that way, than with the ruffians and peasants).
5. Berserker frenzy. The horsemen helped a lot, in fact. And it was a good idea to create the deep water.
6. Invisible green. Yes. I should have recruited more Healer Mages and advanced them. I practicaly ignored the healer mages all the campaign, and it was a problem when I faced the next scenarios.
7. Winged swamps. It was really hard, indeed. Another consequence of not recruiting enough healer mages :)
8. Tribal War. A long fight indeed. However, it was possible after I realized that I shouldn't move the units near the villages and plan my strategy based on that.
9. Winged Forests. Yes. The IA commited a mistake and I didn't doubt to take advantage of it. In fact, I asked myself "Why the IA leaders aren't stuck with 0 movement points like in all the previous scenarios?". However, I think I could have managed to kill that Abaddon even if he didn't move away from the castle. I don't know if it would be enough with that change to force a retraet. Silver mages are a great advantage, and the original castle isn't that bad neither, I'm pretty sure I could manage to defend it and counter-attack. After you make that change, I will test the scenario again and tell you.

And congratulations, you are making a great job! Please let me know when you add another scenario!
Attachments
AWOF-Astral_Duel_replay.gz
(39.72 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I've just uploaded 0.8.6 version to the add-ons server.
Two more scenarios (3 and 4 for Chapter III) are added after months of thinking and working over the storyline and the tactical part. Well in these 2 scenarios I tried to show my new tactical approach that I once described here - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44003&p=595840
A new faction of orcs&goblins serves as recruitable cannon fodder and the same time you can enjoy advancing heroes and loyal units.

Oh, and I want to brag that A Whim of Fate is the only campaign where you can play during the campaign with dwarves and against dwarves, with goblins/orcs and against goblins/orcs, same about saurians, zombies, woses, trolls, gryphons and even shadows. For elves for now you can play only on their side but I have an idea of a scenario about playing against elves, and in most of Chapter III you play against Destroyers faction but it is planned to have destroyer's units on the side of the player.

Here is a random moment from the scenario 4 of Chapter III.
screen.png
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Version 0.8.7 of the campaign was uploaded to add-ons server of 1.12
Two more scenarios were added. The campaign has 14 scenarios already and to my satisfaction the storyline is close to the end. Probably 1-2 scenarios is needed to put all dots over 'I's.
Once finised it will be published in 1.14 server.

Below is the screenshot from 13'th scenario.
Attachments
screen_wesnoth.png
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I did that!
I finished this campaign!
It took almost 3 years for that.
For the last 1.5 years I had problems with the storyline - I had no idea how to finish the plotline so the whole campaign would have sense.
Actually when I began the campaign I had no idea to what it will lead finally. The campaign lived its own life in my head and developed gradually.

But finally it is finished! I feel like a heavy burden fell from my shoulders. I gave birth to something that would live its own life - not in my head anymore.

Oh, and it demanded from me to be in 16 scenarios.

Now it is done, done! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Uploaded to both 1.12 and 1.14 (was never on 1.14 until today).

Looking back I can say that there are 3 main things in this campaign:
1) Zombies. A lot of them in many forms :twisted:
2) Teleportations. Since you play for silver mages in Chapter 2 and 3 you really have to teleport a lot. :shock:
3) A love story. How without it? Everything ended well in the end. 8)

Hi to everyone, may be someone will try it and post some feedback!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi Aldarisvet,

I played your campaign from the most basic options. The premise sounds cool, but I think the part with the dog would be better as a cut-scene, and then you could keep the undead dog/wolf as a meat-shield in the first scenario. (I consistently got killed by the goblins, and lost interest in continuing.)
Spoiler:
I also got some errors, mostly about MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR being deprecated, but a few others too:
error log

Code: Select all

20190105 20:47:46 error deprecation: MENU_IMG_TXT2 has been deprecated and will be removed in version 1.15.0.
  Use the new [difficulty] tag instead for campaign difficulties, or the label/description keys for message options.
20190105 20:51:41 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-top.png'
20190105 20:51:41 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-bottom.png'
20190105 20:52:10 warning deprecation: [option]message= has been deprecated and may be removed in version 1.15.0.
  Use label= instead.
20190105 20:52:10 warning deprecation: [option]message= has been deprecated and may be removed in version 1.15.0.
  Use label= instead.
  Use label= instead.
20190105 20:55:31 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-selected-top.png'
20190105 20:55:31 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-selected-bottom.png'
20190105 20:56:56 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-top.png'
20190105 20:56:56 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-bottom.png'
20190105 20:56:58 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-selected-top.png'
20190105 20:56:58 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-selected-bottom.png'
20190105 20:57:46 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-top.png'
20190105 20:57:46 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-bottom.png'
20190105 20:57:48 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-selected-top.png'
20190105 20:57:48 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-selected-bottom.png'
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects