Vulpine

Re: Unfinished portraits

Post by Vulpine »

Ruzgyzbåæzæ ruzgyzudørbruv! Näzghydmyyvzambdaz. Dörb Urz
slayer-big.png
slayer-big.png (141.21 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
slayer-small.png
slayer-small.png (41.68 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
I made negligible adjustments to bits of obscure linework.
Is it just me, or does his left eye look kind of funny?

And a fix for the previous upload: click on the image :doh: I feel so stupid right now :oops:

Anyhow, is this satisfactory? (It's kind of hard to believe I'm done after working on it so long!)
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

AWESOME!! 8) :Awesome: It looks great (and i think the left eye is fine)!

Thank you very much vulpine!
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Thanks, but I think you are giving the credit to the wrong person (though since Girgistian isn't here to receive it, I'll be glad to accept it :lol: )

As much as I would love to now display a partially shaded sylph portrait, but things are starting to get busy. I have not the time now, and possibly for quite a while.

Since I can't make any promises, and I will not leave you hanging by saying 'I'll work on it in my spare time', I am uploading the .xcf file for anybody who wants to take it up. (Several of the layers are empty, and if you want to change anything at all, please do.) Or even start from the base image.

I am sorry that I can not complete it now, but that is life :( I can only hope that somebody will see what a wonderful sketch it is, and take the time to shade it properly. I'll probably still be around to watch progress if anybody decides they want to give it a try.
Attachments
sylph-celesmes-copy.xcf
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 433 times
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

Vulpine wrote:Thanks, but I think you are giving the credit to the wrong person (though since Girgistian isn't here to receive it, I'll be glad to accept it :lol: )

As much as I would love to now display a partially shaded sylph portrait, but things are starting to get busy. I have not the time now, and possibly for quite a while.

Since I can't make any promises, and I will not leave you hanging by saying 'I'll work on it in my spare time', I am uploading the .xcf file for anybody who wants to take it up. (Several of the layers are empty, and if you want to change anything at all, please do.) Or even start from the base image.

I am sorry that I can not complete it now, but that is life :( I can only hope that somebody will see what a wonderful sketch it is, and take the time to shade it properly. I'll probably still be around to watch progress if anybody decides they want to give it a try.
IMO the Sylph needs to be reworked.
If you are willing to wait for it, like 24 hrs, I'll give you a reworked line art.
I do things, including arts. Mostly fan arts.
http://darkbearlab.deviantart.com/
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

:D I personally would love to see it, and have no problem waiting!
I'm not sure which unit The_Gnat had intended it for... Not that I think it should matter too much, but if you are re-working it anyway, perhaps The_Gnat has some suggestions? I dunno.

But you are aware that it is pretty likely that nobody is going to work on them, right? I mean, the post had been dead for nearly five months before I offered my inexpertise. And I'm going to have my hands full for who knows how long?

That being said, If you would rework the line-art that would be wonderful! Maybe somebody who actually knows what they are doing will stumble upon this post and have it fully shaded in a couple of hours, putting me to shame. (Maybe if I wish hard enough? :whistle: :D )
If you are feeling particularly generous, you could also shade it, though that may be asking a bit much, especially if you have other commitments at the moment.

Anyhow, I'll shut up now, and see what The_Gnat has to say. He is in charge of this project after all. :)
Slightly Off-Topic clarification of previous post.
Vulpine wrote: As much as I would love to now display a partially shaded sylph portrait, but things are starting to get busy. I have not the time now, and possibly for quite a while.
Er, I meant to say something along the lines of: I'd like to be able to present a partially shaded sylph, but things are starting to get busy.
American English is my native language, but writing mistakes happen when you tag half a sentence to another sentence without re-reading the original sentence first.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Vulpine wrote:
You are probably hurting your work (and the development of your skills, if you care) by using such a poor tool.
Just out of curiosity, what aspects of my work and skills am I hurting? I know little about drawing, (and can barely draw convincing stick figures), and it doesn't hurt to get as much knowledge out of this project as I can :)
As one of those fools who uses a mouse rather than a specialized drawing tool, I am also a little disturbed that someone would try to work on digital drawing with a track-pad (I assume we are talking about the thing on a laptop). I suppose you could do it if you zoom in enough, but it's basically like trying to give yourself a haircut with a lawnmower. Are you hurting your skills? Not sure, but it's hard to see how this will end well, and you are really creating artificial barriers for yourself.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

I updated in my thread since I pretty much redone everything with my own style in the end. Check it if you have time.

Also actually I've PMed The_Gnat before these, and he agreed so I guess it's not something I should worry.
I do things, including arts. Mostly fan arts.
http://darkbearlab.deviantart.com/
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Doofus-01: Yeah, I usually zoom in pretty close. Sometimes I don't zoom in that far, but only when I'm using a larger brush size. I guess if nothing else, 'knowing' that I can just use my trackpad will keep me from trying proper tools, meaning I'll be stuck with the limited functions of the trackpad. Thanks for addressing the question!
(BTW, I would never have guessed that your art was done with a mouse- but then again, I'm untrained in spotting that difference.)

DarkBearLab: In that case, go right ahead and ignore my previous post :mrgreen:
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes i talked to darkbearlab and he/she is going to sketch the slyph portrait again!

And once again thank you for your help Vulpine! I will have your portrait in my next release of the Reign of the Lords add-on (as a portrait for the advancement of the slayer) :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Its been a while since i posted anything on this thread but i found when reading through old art threads another pretty good but unfinished dragon portrait by LordBob:
monsters_firedragon-2.png
monsters_firedragon-2.png (189.66 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
This portrait needs a little more work than the last but it has promise and it looks more 3 dimensional (and powerful) then the current fire dragon portraits i have seen. So if anyone at all is interested in commenting or giving a try coloring this in, or if anyone would be interested in reworking the belly of the dragon that would be great :D Also i thought it might be good to have a skeletal dragon portrait so if anyone would be interested in turning this into a skeletal dragon that also would be very good! 8)

@ Devs - by the way, there is a lot (and when i say a lot i actually mean Tonnes) of unused art lying around on the forums. Much of it is by well acclaimed wesnoth artists such as lordbob and much of it is completed, but has never been used. A good example of this is the really good story art for TRoW here. Lordbob never finished the entire campaigns art but there is considerable amounts of unused scenes that could be added to TRoW that has not been, why is this? Has much of the art just been forgotten or are there reasons for not including these such as copyrights?
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

I'll try it, but don't expect anything (even though I'm better than when you created this thread)
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great :D and don't feel any time pressure! Also if you want to post updates as you progress that would be cool! :D

(also are you going to make a fire dragon or skeletal dragon (or perhaps some other, ice dragon or etc.))
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

The_Gnat wrote:(also are you going to make a fire dragon or skeletal dragon (or perhaps some other, ice dragon or etc.))
Well, I haven't think of that what kind of dragon can it be... at least it should be something that is completely new in the world of Wesnoth I think. Ice dragon can be an option; or maybe some dark night dragon who moves, flies (and murders haha) silently, ooor some kind of a mighty dragon who cannot breathe fire but is a huge legendary beast with tons of cool powers (such as making earthquakes, hypnotizing, creating a storm and so on). Which one do you like the most? :D (or if you would like something else, tell it :D)
The_Gnat wrote:Also if you want to post updates as you progress that would be cool! :D
Of course I will :D
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

or maybe some dark night dragon who moves, flies (and murders haha) silently
:D I personally like the idea of an evil dark dragon who has black wings and red eyes (or something like that) and breaths pure hatred out of his mouth ;)

That would be pretty unique, and this dragon portrait looks like the type of monster who might be an evil dragon, perhaps inspired by this sprite, but even more black and evil looking 8)
blackdragon.png
blackdragon.png (17.75 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

How do you like this sprite for the evil dark dragon?
Evil & Dark Dragon
Evil dragon.png
Evil dragon.png (23.74 KiB) Viewed 4874 times