Alt + A combination in chat

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
axefighterr

Alt + A combination in chat

Post by axefighterr »

In Poland, we use the key combination Alt+A to make a letter Ą. In the game, however it has the same effect as Home key. So when I want to type "Błąd mi wyskoczył." i got "ąd mi wyskoczył.Bł". It is really annoying. It is a possible way to fix this?
nuorc
Forum Regular

Re: Alt + A combination in chat

Post by nuorc »

In preferences you can configure the hotkeys.
I have a cunning plan.
axefighterr

Post by axefighterr »

I am aware that this combination is not changeable via preferences...
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Oh, I'm sorry, I usually don't change those...
I have a cunning plan.
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

Bumping this old thread, because the problem still exists, and iceiceice told me that none of the developers ever heard about it.

There are few hidden shortcuts in the chat:
Alt + a will move the text cursor to the start of the line
Alt + e will move it to the end
Alt + u will clear the whole line

What's the problem with that? Well, perhaps the fact that you can't unbind or disable any of them - which, combined with the fact that many foreign languages use these shortcuts to write some letters of their alphabet, makes the communication really frustrating at times.

Basically, it breaks the sentence in half (or more, depending on how many times you use these shortcuts), and becomes practically unreadable.
For example, if I wrote: "Polaną idą piękne gąski", it would get changed to: "ąskią pią idPolanękne g". Seems a bit wrong, doesn't it?

As I'm not familiar with how one should report bugs, other than on the forums - I want to ask for a favor. May someone forward this issue to the devs? The release of 1.14 seems to be a perfect time to fix this bug, and many non-english speaking players would be grateful for this.

Cheers.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Best would be to have someone who has an account create an issue on the bugtracker.

Personally, I'll note it as an issue on my fork. But all that means is I'll have it noted. I probably won't ever be in the area to fix this. But, at least, I'll have it noted and can mention it if I hear someone is near the issue.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I noticed some of this when looking at the textbox code; since I want to update it to understand standard Mac move-by-word shortcuts, I could probably disable these unexpected shortcuts too.

My guess is that these shortcuts are from some program such as vim or emacs or something, but even if that's the case and they are a desirable feature, there should probably at least be a preference to disable them. I personally don't think there's any good reason for a game's textboxes to mimic terminal editing programs, though.

If anyone did/does create a GNA issue, feel free to link to it here.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
_Queen_

Post by _Queen_ »

Bonjour~,

Is the issue solved? I play on 1.12.6 and still have a problem with typing "ą" and "ę".

I asked general opinion of Polish players, http://www.wesnoth.com.pl/forum/viewthr ... ad_id=1305 and everyone unanimously agreed that they would like this to change.

This function forces people to write incorretly on puropse which is not very okey, and work same as "home" and "end" buttons on keyboard. I don't see much reason why this function should exist.

Please, reconsider this issue and fix it in the newest update. Thank you~.
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

Yes, it's shame that it's such a good game is created and typing national letters creates problems. And this problem had already been reported earlier.

Please fix it.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Indeed, something should be done with it.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

There is now a related issue report (#1918). I'm a bit confused about the claim that these are alt-key combinations though, since they were clearly control-key combinations when I last looked (which was admittedly not in 1.12.x).
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
_Queen_

Post by _Queen_ »

You are right, ctr+a/ctr+e have the same function as alt+a/alt+e with the diffrence, that with alt you still can type polish letters.

Thank you for taking care of issue~.