Annoying lost feature

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Yomar

Annoying lost feature

Post by Yomar »

One thing that I really miss from the previous versions of Wesnoth, is the ability to click on an enemy that in this way remained selected, and then be able to scroll the map to see how far he could move.
This was very useful when playing on low (but also medium) screen resolutions, any way to reactivate this feature ?
The feature was present by default in V 1.8 of BFW and maybe 1.10 (but not sure).
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Annoying lost feature

Post by WhiteWolf »

I tried it, and I noticed, you can still do this. Select the enemy unit with a left-click, the right-click-hold and drag away from the unit. After releasing the right-button, the enemy stays selected, you can see where he can move, and you can scroll the screen :)

See the screenshot, the cursor is far away, and I could scroll. I use Wesnoth 1.12.6 on Debian. Hope this works for you.
Attachments
Screenshot-11.png
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Use arrow keys?
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I tried it WhiteWolf, but sadly on windows it seems not to work.

ElderofZion, my arrow keys are broken, and the other computer that I have is in a such position that I need to change position to use the keyboard, so switching from mouse to keyboard while playing is very unconfortable, and as I said the arrow keys are not functioning on the laptop that I usually use to play the game, and the little space that I have in the room, makes unpratical to connect an external keyboard.
Max G on WIF
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Well, I use arrowkeys, mousewhell, and sometimes I use cursor to scroll the screen. i think mouse wheel+cursor works decently. And if you can't use it, well, i have tried it and I can select an enemy unit and then use cursor to scroll the screen, just that it is rather slow. Maybe it doesn't work for you because you have some setting changed, check your preferences, I recall there was some setting in advanced regarding scrolling or mouse use.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

My mouse has no weel. :P

Anyway, after some experementing, I discovered that clicking on an enemy unit, holding the left button and then dragging works, still more annoying than before, but at least it made the trick.
Max G on WIF
Jarom
Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Post by Jarom »

I would use this feature if it ever will be (re-)implemented. I mostly play on high resolutions, but it's still annoying if you cannot see how far enemy unit can move without selecting it. Especially when you try to stay away from range of just one of his units, and both your and your enemy's unit is a fast scout (like Lancer) on diverse terrain.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I was wrong, the method that I discovered works only in locals games against the AI, I tried it online, but it does not work, so I can't see the range of enemy units that are far away.
The feature was automatic, I wonder if it was removed on purpose, or if its a bug.
Max G on WIF
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

To answer the questions of where this game behavior went: before 1.12 in the development cycle another developer Fabi/Fendrin was rewriting the input controls code. This was to allow for remapping of the standard left click and such that was not remappable beforehand.

IIRC he then experimented with a change to the mouse inputs to select a unit with left click and right click to move and attack. This didn't work out and I ended up reverting the behavior closer to 1.12 release with mouse clicks by default to the previous behavior, but using the new code (as some time had passed and it could not be reverted easily).

This is why you can't select an enemy unit like before and move around as before, but you can remap the inputs for movement/selection and attack. Maybe if you look at the control keys for this you might be able to set them so that you can achieve your desired outcome again (or you could submit a patch if you can do this and are keen enough).
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Thx, coffee, this explains a lot, I would definetly make a patch, if I could, but sadlly I'm not deep enought in programming to acheive this.
Max G on WIF