I know someone will say it's easy... Siege of Elensefar...

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

teleosus

Re: I know someone will say it's easy... Siege of Elensefar.

Post by teleosus »

ElderofZion wrote:If you wanted some more direct help you can always upload your save. I or somebody else could finish it and you could try to replicate some of the chosen strategies (I bet there would be a few strategies). It is nothing bad to learn from sb else's play.
:roll:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Oh yes, I have tried using lower level recruits, I still end up in the negative income, negative gold situation. Maybe the Luck may work out differently eventually but they just die quicker without leaders. When you say do not put so much emphasis on higher level unit, yet the point of the game should be getting higher level units then using lower level if it is cheaper yet it seems you are telling me I shouldn't do that so much. Isn't that an counterintuitive idiosyncrasy?
In response to your question, the way you phrase the question outlines the basic misconception you seem to have.

The point of the game isn't getting higher level units. Never was. Wesnoth is more a wargame than an RPG. Veteran units are a very useful tool but they aren't anything to themselves. If they were 'supposed' to be, the game would have been designed differently (there'd likely be more than 3 levels for most units among other things). If you want a game where that is the point there're plenty of good ones out there.

Actually though, there are plenty of people in the fanbase who would prefer Wesnoth to be more like that and a lot of their content reflects that desire. Although they aren't quite to my taste, a lot of them are very well done. You might enjoy Legend of the Invincibles or some of the more RPGish add ons.

In the mainline campaigns though, you can expect that most of the time, even when you have a massive army of veterans, you won't want to be using most of them all that often and when you do they should be treated as being somewhat expendable (particularly once you're deeper into the campaign).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

teleosus wrote:I have been playing BFW off and on for over ten years. Recently I started to pick it up again after not playing it for several years. Of course I started on Heir to the Throne normal, built up my units, saved my loyals so I could have what may be needed in the later scenarios. Is it just me or has the "randomness" taken a turn for the worse since what I remember.
I'll give you a different answer than the others, since I too have played a long time.

It's not the randomness, it is the changes in the gold retention system compared to the old days.* Like you, I end up with less gold than the scenario was originally designed for. Personally I found the mermaid strategy from the other threads works well for me now whereas I used to play the scenario totally differently.

*Also, changing the orc assassin to have marksman made a number of campaign scenarios marginally more difficult.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Kymille wrote:
teleosus wrote:I have been playing BFW off and on for over ten years. Recently I started to pick it up again after not playing it for several years. Of course I started on Heir to the Throne normal, built up my units, saved my loyals so I could have what may be needed in the later scenarios. Is it just me or has the "randomness" taken a turn for the worse since what I remember.
I'll give you a different answer than the others, since I too have played a long time.

It's not the randomness, it is the changes in the gold retention system compared to the old days.* Like you, I end up with less gold than the scenario was originally designed for. Personally I found the mermaid strategy from the other threads works well for me now whereas I used to play the scenario totally differently.

*Also, changing the orc assassin to have marksman made a number of campaign scenarios marginally more difficult.
On the other hand, some units like orc warlords have way more reasonable stats and thus are easier to kill.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Siege of Elensefar was always a big step up in difficulty from previous scenarios, I believe all players appreciate this.

A few things that may help you or other readers in trouble with the siege are:

1) do not throw away your free loyals, they are as you say indeed useless without support and you get a different option, where you don't suicide them into superior forces, (show hidden river ford).

2) consider a more defensive approach to the "siege". There is a good replay by Faello feat. this approach defeating even the undead host mainly south of the town.

3) be wary of all advice that tells you about hordes of L2 units you need to have to pursue some specific moves that have to pan out perfectly, you simply don't. (W/ more gold it is possible to play this without any recalls at all.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.