Wesnoth sheet music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Samonella

Re: Wesnoth sheet music

Post by Samonella »

Inky wrote:I am starting to doubt my sanity, but now what I hear is an instrument on the left playing B C | B and an instrument on the right playing C C# | C :?
(I listen to these using one earbud at a time which makes it easier to hear the separate parts)
I still haven't managed to latch my ear onto a B anywhere. the C E | C I hear/imagine is a bit more on the left side, but unless we can agree on something that sounds good in the piano score, methinks it's best to cut out everything but the obvious top and bottom (from m. 1-2 as well).
Inky wrote:For measures 40-45 I think the piano is just repeating this measure 6 times:
After a nice break to get my ears working again, I can confirm. :) Though I think the off-beats drop to A for the 2 middle measures. There are also some higher splits on the on-beats (beat 3&4 are E&F, an octave above the current E&D, I believe) but they're quiet enough that they're neither important nor easy to pick out.

Other notes:
  • Removed the thirds from the eighth notes in 38 because the higher line is very quiet during that part, and on piano playing both sounds too busy for this song (imo)
  • In 24, moved the B by an octave for play-ability
  • In 40-45 I added the cello line, though for play-ability it is an octave up for 41-43.
  • I'm actually pretty confident with 48-58, either I'm getting better at this or that part was easier than most (or I've gone completely delusional).
  • 59 to the end only has the melody so far. It may take some creativity to make a good, strong ending since I can only hear 3 lines plus timpani.
EDIT: attachment removed, final version later
Last edited by Samonella on July 29th, 2017, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow!! Really, really great job in filling out the next parts, especially those 8th notes in 48-58! It's sounding great! 8)

Some notes:
  • Just a notation thing - that section starting at m. 28 would be much more readable if the 8th notes were beamed together
  • m. 41 beat 2 and m. 44 beats 1-2: I think the cello is playing Bb not A
  • m. 51: I think the last 8th note in the top line is G instead of D
  • m. 52: The 8th note G on beat 4 of the bottom part should be A
  • m. 56 top line beat 3: I think there's a B grace note before the C
  • m. 58 2nd 8th note of bottom line: maybe add a low C here since C-E-G is very strong in the piece
  • m. 66-67: I think these notes should be shifted to the right by a quarter note (and those high Ab's seem slightly longer than half notes)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Inky wrote:Wow!! Really, really great job in filling out the next parts, especially those 8th notes in 48-58! It's sounding great! 8)
Thanks! I'm not as confident about the next section, unfortunately.
Details
Some notes:
Inky wrote:Just a notation thing - that section starting at m. 28 would be much more readable if the 8th notes were beamed together
:shock: Em, I, ehem yes, I already noticed that of course. Cough, could never miss something so obvious. :whistle: :P
Inky wrote:m. 58 2nd 8th note of bottom line: maybe add a low C here since C-E-G is very strong in the piece
You mean like this?
C-E-G.png
C-E-G.png (5.75 KiB) Viewed 14153 times
I don't hear anything like that, and it kind of interrupts the flow if you ask me.
Inky wrote:m. 66-67: I think these notes should be shifted to the right by a quarter note (and those high Ab's seem slightly longer than half notes)
Hm, that's not how I counted it, but i suppose this part should be up to the performer. The new version has fermatas and things to make that clear.

So 59-67 basically has 4 lines now: Top, second from the top, and bottom are what I hear/imagine from the piece, and second from the bottom is a mix of the others, whatever seemed good and was within reach.

69-end is rough of course, since pianos can't exactly crescendo and piano scores don't generally include cymbals or wind chimes, but it's the closest I could come up with. Here's an idea that I think might sound a bit better for piano, ending unexpectedly quietly:
quieter_ending.png
quieter_ending.png (6.01 KiB) Viewed 14153 times
EDIT: attachment removed, final version later
Last edited by Samonella on July 29th, 2017, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow, it's basically finished now! Awesome!! :D
Re: Details
second 8th note of 58: It definitely sounded like C to me :hmm: But you're right, having a chord there puts a weird emphasis on the offbeat so it should just be one note.

59-67: sounds good, nice work!
  • just a nitpick, I think in m. 61, the G in the 2nd from top voice starts on beat 3 not 4
  • m. 62: I think that G in the bottom-middle part is actually an Ab
  • m. 63 2nd from bottom part: I don't think there's Db here, I think maybe it's an F?
Samonella wrote:69-end is rough of course, since pianos can't exactly crescendo and piano scores don't generally include cymbals or wind chimes, but it's the closest I could come up with. Here's an idea that I think might sound a bit better for piano, ending unexpectedly quietly
I tend to like loud endings (they wake up any audience members who fell asleep :whistle: ), but it's only personal preference so just put whatever you think sounds best!
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Very close now!
Inky wrote:m. 62: I think that G in the bottom-middle part is actually an Ab
m. 63 2nd from bottom part: I don't think there's Db here, I think maybe it's an F?
I just made up the bottom-middle part by pulling notes from other parts, I didn't actually hear any of it (the G and Db you mention are from top-middle). But Ab and F both sound quite good to me.
Inky wrote:just a nitpick, I think in m. 61, the G in the 2nd from top voice starts on beat 3 not 4
I'm pretty sure I hear (starting at 61) F (Bb G) | G, it's just that the Bb overlaps with the melody's one. However, with a Bb G in the bottom-middle I think there's nothing wrong with giving the top-middle halfnote G.

So how's this:
59-64.png
59-64.png (11.45 KiB) Viewed 14122 times
Inky wrote:I tend to like loud endings (they wake up any audience members who fell asleep :whistle: ), but it's only personal preference so just put whatever you think sounds best!
I suppose I'll stick with the louder one then, since It's closer to the original; if the player wants one more piano-ish, he/she can figure one out as well as I can.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

That looks good to me! 8)

I have also started working on a new horror: a very questionable version of the first minute and a half of The City Falls (I was going to do heroes' rite but I was finding it really hard and ragequit for now :whistle: ).
Attachments
TheCityFalls-WIP.zip
(9.68 KiB) Downloaded 735 times
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Great! Then here's the (probably) final version.
Silvan_Sanctuary.pdf
(59.26 KiB) Downloaded 849 times
Silvan_Sanctuary.zip
(11.61 KiB) Downloaded 814 times
As for The City Falls, Wow! 8) What you have so far sounds very good! Though I'm afraid most of my appetite for this stuff is used up for a while.
Brief, big-picture advice:
I think the piano score would sound better if it were a bit less busy. I'd say to only re-punctuate notes where you really feel the rhythm, something like this:
imo.png
imo.png (7.11 KiB) Viewed 14108 times
Also, if you can fit them in, I think the choir's longer notes tie everything together nicely, and are usually more important than the background strings (the current left hand).

One other thing: thanks for the gesture, but I think that there's no need to note which songs I arranged in the OP, it just clutters it up. People can see who posted the final version, and besides, you did just as much work as me on most of "my" ones.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Cool! :D I added the link to the first post (and I also removed the notes about your arrangements and just added a note at the top that you made some of these).

Thanks for the suggestions for The City Falls! I'll try to add in the choir notes and simplify the rhythm (plus, it will be easier to play that way :whistle: ).
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Uh, what do you mean I was supposed to be working on The City Falls? :whistle: (I'll get back to that one sometime!)

In the meantime, I've made an attempt at Legends of the North by West! Any corrections, suggestions etc. welcome as usual.

I think I've really messed up the rhythm at that section starting at measure 29 though. Maybe this part would sound better if I deleted some of that dotted 8th stuff. Also I get the feeling that the 3 notes starting the phrases (e.g. the G A B on measure 33 beat 2) are not triplets, seems like the first two notes are slower, but I can't tell what the rhythm is.

Also the ending where the theme comes back (measure 66) isn't too epic, maybe I should put octaves or try to add some kind of chords there. Otherwise you may have to resort to banging on the keys really hard again. :D :whistle:

EDIT: moved Legends of the North attachment two posts down
---------------------------
EDIT: And I went back and tried to fix the High King's March by West. I *cough* definitely didn't do something like write the accompaniment one sixth too low in the previous version. :oops:
Besides fixing (I hope...) the accompaniment, I also added the final measures, and made an attempt to make it playable on piano! 8)
Attachments
High_King's_March.pdf
(58.26 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
High_King's_MarchXML.zip
(9.02 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Very nice as always! I don't have a lot of time for this right now, but here are my thoughts.
My thoughts
Inky wrote:I think I've really messed up the rhythm at that section starting at measure 29 though. Maybe this part would sound better if I deleted some of that dotted 8th stuff. Also I get the feeling that the 3 notes starting the phrases (e.g. the G A B on measure 33 beat 2) are not triplets, seems like the first two notes are slower, but I can't tell what the rhythm is.
I'm not sure about most of that section, but this is how I count the first couple measures:
29.png
29.png (7.97 KiB) Viewed 13840 times
Inky wrote:Also the ending where the theme comes back (measure 66) isn't too epic, maybe I should put octaves or try to add some kind of chords there. Otherwise you may have to resort to banging on the keys really hard again. :D :whistle:
Yeah, i think the left hand could play some chords, or at least notes, from the choir. Wouldn't hurt to do that at the beginning too, either.

I also think the section starting at 43 could be better by giving the left hand more to do like this:
43.png
43.png (12.17 KiB) Viewed 13840 times
Idk if that would work through the whole section though, like I said I haven't put much time into trying it. Maybe it's best like it is.

One last little thing: in the last measure I hear an extra note like this.
ending.png
ending.png (3.12 KiB) Viewed 13840 times

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Thanks a ton for the advice!! :D
Re: thoughts
m. 29:
Samonella wrote:I'm not sure about most of that section, but this is how I count the first couple measures
Ohh I see, the tempo is slower there... I mean, of course I noticed that! :doh: :oops: :whistle:
I still have trouble counting this section though, I'm not even sure if it's still in 12/8. I changed the last two notes in the phrases to dotted 16ths which sounds closer to what's in the piece but that doesn't look right...
m.29.png
I don't want to mess with the time signature until I'm more sure though, since changing time signature in Musescore means manually changing all the note values :doh:

Not quite sure what's going on at measure 37 (seems like triplets, but at a faster tempo than before?) so I just put accel. and then rit. there :whistle:
Samonella wrote:I also think the section starting at 43 could be better by giving the left hand more to do like this:
Great idea! I thought it sounded better to have the violin part on top instead, and then the harp part an octave down in the left hand:
m.46.png
m.46.png (19.65 KiB) Viewed 13779 times
I also somehow left out a measure (m. 47), and incorrectly wrote the last note of the harp part as E natural instead of F, so I fixed those.

I also tried to add some chords to the end part (and the same part at the beginning). Also changed around some of the chords at m. 58 a bit, not completely sure of these though.
Also added that note in the end, great catch!
New version, hopefully with less banging on the keys required ;)

EDIT: new version 2 posts down
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Nice, that version sounds quite good!
Re as usual
Inky wrote:I still have trouble counting this section though, I'm not even sure if it's still in 12/8.
I don't want to mess with the time signature until I'm more sure though, since changing time signature in Musescore means manually changing all the note values :doh:

Not quite sure what's going on at measure 37 (seems like triplets, but at a faster tempo than before?) so I just put accel. and then rit. there :whistle:
This helped me a lot, I'm pretty sure they are just triplets with a steady tempo:
30-40_with_74bpm_met.zip
(742.01 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
I know the pain of changing key signatures, but this part would be a lot more readable in 4/4.

Also, I hear one extra note in the top line at 37, like this:
37.png
37.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 13747 times
Btw, I'm pretty sure the E in 29 is flat. :hmm:
Inky wrote:I also tried to add some chords to the end part (and the same part at the beginning). Also changed around some of the chords at m. 58 a bit, not completely sure of these though.
Some of the denser chords in 58 sound a bit iffy, but most of it is good. :D I don't actually hear most of what you added though, all I can make out is the vocal line that does whole notes like this:
17-20.png
And there might be thirds or something beneath them? Anyway, that's what I meant in my last post. Looks like they'd have to go down an octave for play-ability, unfortunately.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Thanks for the help again! (There may have been some ragequitting involved due to musescore being annoying, which is part of why it took so long :whistle: )
re:re: thoughts
Ohh, thanks for the excerpt with the metronome! Looks like I was completely imagining that it was speeding up and slowing down :oops: :whistle:
Wrote that section in 4/4 now, and added that extra note in measure 37!
Samonella wrote:Btw, I'm pretty sure the E in 29 is flat.
It looks like you've caught on to my evil plan to cause ear damage by adding random E naturals everywhere :doh:
Samonella wrote:Some of the denser chords in 58 sound a bit iffy
I think I hallucinated that A in measure 59, so I took it out and that part sounds less fishy now. (Also changed the Bb in m. 61 to a D which seems to sound better).
Samonella wrote:I don't actually hear most of what you added though, all I can make out is the vocal line that does whole notes like this:
I think I was imagining things as usual :P Thanks for writing it out! I changed the middle notes in the top chords to Bb C Bb A.

I also added a couple 16ths to the pickup of 26 and changed the pickup to 27 from 8ths to 16ths.
I've also started working a bit on the new main theme Return to Wesnoth, though I've only written out the very beginning so nothing interesting to post just yet!

EDIT: fixed The Case of the Disappearing E-flat in measure 43
Attachments
Legends_of_the_North-XML.zip
(16.44 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
Legends_of_the_North.pdf
(88.1 KiB) Downloaded 795 times
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Inky wrote:It looks like you've caught on to my evil plan to cause ear damage by adding random E naturals everywhere
Well, if your evil plan was to force each one to wear a flat or natural, then make them stand in a circle and guess which- oh wait, wrong forum. :mrgreen: Though it seems the E flat from the downbeat of 43 has turned invisible (probably hiding for fear of in-hygienic hat puzzles).

Anyway, everything sounds great now, very nice. Looking forward to Return to Wesnoth!

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Samonella wrote:Though it seems the E flat from the downbeat of 43 has turned invisible (probably hiding for fear of in-hygienic hat puzzles)
Ugh, I must have done that when I was fixing a bunch of notes that musescore messed up due to changing the time signature earlier (why is there an option to make notes invisible anyway??)
No doubt it was hiding after seeing its fellow Eb in measure 29 getting horrifyingly turned into an E natural, but I've forced it out of hiding now :D

Anyway I made quite a bit of progress on Return to Wesnoth today! and I wonder why I never seem to get anything done on weekends :whistle:
I still need to write out the very end, and try add the quarter/8th accompaniment to that slow section at the end.
Wasn't quite sure what to do for measures 9-24 at the beginning: it wasn't playable in the original octave so I tried moving the melody up an octave and sort of doubling the notes in the bottom part so they don't end up completely buried in the top part.
I hope I wrote the right key signatures... the key signatures in this piece are more evil than Mal Ravanal :augh:

Anyway, the piece is included in Wesnoth ver. 1.13.10 if anyone's wondering where to find it.
Attachments
Return_to_WesnothXML.zip
(13.66 KiB) Downloaded 755 times