Silent Forest, SotBE Nightmare

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mint

Silent Forest, SotBE Nightmare

Post by Mint »

Heya.

Nightmare mode, Silent Forest, Wesnoth 1.12.5. The scenario that has defeated me. I'm looking for some advice.

This scenario seems quite a bit tougher than the previous ones. I figure the best thing to do is defend around the 5,14 area until the enemy waves end, then clear the leaders afterwards. The problem I run into is running out of units. Even with some units levelling at very opportune times I still don't seem to be able to do it, and it seems like I'd run out of turns. Was I supposed to end up with a ton more carryover gold or is my strategy unworkable?
Attachments
SotBE-Silent_Forest_replay.gz
One of Mint's feeble attempts
(51.11 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Silent Forest, SotBE Nightmare

Post by zookeeper »

Apparently it was a dreadfully difficult scenario so it's been made a bit easier in 1.13, but 1.12 of course remains unchanged. You might or might not find some help from the replays in the scenario feedback thread.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I haven't played SotBE on nightmare, but from the replay it looks like the problem is lack of veterans. Were the lvl. 2 orc and lvl. 3 troll the only veterans on your recall list? If you have other veterans I would recall them since gold is going to be way negative anyway. If not, you probably need to replay some previous scenarios to make sure more veterans survive. Good luck!
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I HAVE DONE IT!

After a few tries and with some luck my mass troll finally triumphed over puny elves of the silent forest. When i leveled up my trolls and got my high level troll squad the game became much simpler. So far the most frustrating scenario for me was siege of Barag Gor because it is pretty long and required quite a lot of tries to finish. Well, all the scenarios required at least a few attempts, and were very close so far. Even the desert which was not really that hard and may be the easiest scenario so far, I finished in the last turn, it took me so long because I went only troll there as well XDDD Trolls are the best counter to scorpions XDDD. Overall SoTBE on nightmare feels a bit harder than NR on nightmare but that might be mainly because I am playing orc.

Btw it seems that playing SoTBE in a "classical" way by recalling high level units is very much doable, and allowed me to finish Silent Forest. I don't know how easy it was to use your strategy in the earlier scenarios Mint, it may have been easier than my classical high level units blob, but it seems that my strategy gets stronger the further you progress and the more high level units, and of higher level you have. In the port scenario despite my horrible unluck my high levels blob + some cannon fodder trolls strategy worked well, I had a lot of half or lower hp trolls but they were alive, and regenerated quickly enough to keep my blob going.
Attachments
BRUTAL_MASS_TROLL_VS_SILENT_FOREST.gz
(43.12 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

This is the scenario I cant get through, chargers destroy my army. Maybe any of you would like to give it a try? Also I have included one of my attempts.
Attachments
SCzO-Odwet_Tura_8.gz
(84.72 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
SCzO-Odwet.gz
(18.21 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

ElderofZion,

I was barely able to beat the game with the file and it took many tries.

I found that it seemed impossible to fight the loyalists head on whether using level 3 or level 1 units even with the upkeep bonus and also setting the allies to be defensive did not really help here.

I won by using the two direwolf riders in the recall list to assassinate both leaders starting with the southernmost leader. The only problem with the file is that the orcish slurbow died.
Attachments
SCzO-Odwet_Win.gz
File
(85.94 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
SCzO-Odwet_replay_Win.gz
Replay
(54.93 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Wow, this is amazing! Thank you for the effort, I felt it was somehow possible to win but I thought it would take very many tries. I will try to replicate your approach, thanks. And by the way, losses do not matter, I have large enough lvl 3 supply to fill in any losses.
Bonobo
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Bonobo »

Thanks for the input, guys. I didn't reply to this earlier as I was planning to reply after I succeeded, and, well... that never happened :P

I don't have enough level 3 trolls to make it work the way ElderofZion succeeded, it seems.
I'll replay some earlier scenarios for the extra starting gold and see how it goes.

Edit: And now I realised I didn't even reply from the same account... :doh:
PMs sent to my other account Mint will be read faster.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Well, I can upload the replays when i finish the campaign, if i feel like finishing it. Or alternatively I could upload the ones i have right now. I have gotten to the civil war scenario.