Transforming img files into maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Transforming img files into maps

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Is there any currently working way to transform an image into a wesnoth map?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Transforming img files into maps

Post by Sapient »

Are you talking about terrain art maps (red represented by lava, etc.)?
It would probably be a fun image manipulation programming project if anyone hasn't done that already. But, the last time I needed to do that, I just loaded the image in paintshop pro and used a hex tile filter.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
PapaSmurfReloaded

Sapient wrote:Are you talking about terrain art maps (red represented by lava, etc.)?
It would probably be a fun image manipulation programming project if anyone hasn't done that already. But, the last time I needed to do that, I just loaded the image in paintshop pro and used a hex tile filter.
I meant transforming the silhouete of an image into a wesnoth map.
Example: An image of an island in white and the sea around in black, transform it into a wesnoth map of a give size(let's say 100x100) that has Ww terrain in black areas and Gg in the white areas.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

That would be really good if it was possible! And if you took it to one step farther you could generate different terrains depending on the color. (green = grass, grey = mountains, blue = water, etc.) :D

But it probably would be easier to merely make the map editor paint tool more effective.
PapaSmurfReloaded

The_Gnat wrote:That would be really good if it was possible! And if you took it to one step farther you could generate different terrains depending on the color. (green = grass, grey = mountains, blue = water, etc.) :D

But it probably would be easier to merely make the map editor paint tool more effective.
From what I've seen it was possible in the past, but the software or methods used no longer work.
I'm quite a fan of making accurate maps of things myself.