Main menu background

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rodick

Main menu background

Post by Rodick »

Will we change main menu background from what we have to something ''better'' in 1.14 or any version?
Attachments
Main.png
ForestDragon

Re: Main menu background

Post by ForestDragon »

Well, as I know (I may or may not be correct), there aren't any plans about making a new background. If someone decides to contribute a main menu background that's better than the current, then sure. (small note about art contributions in bfw in general: they often just emerge out of nowhere, instead of being planned in advance. Keep that in mind). Personally, I have no problem with the current main menu background, but that's just my personal opinion.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If someone is able to make a better one, or even to find source material from which I could make a better one out of, then sure.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This is already the new and better background--it was only just added in 1.12. Before that, it had been basically the same since version 1.1 in 2007 IIRC. The logo is being updated for 1.14 though.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Rodick wrote:Will we change main menu background from what we have to something ''better'' in 1.14 or any version?
Why do you ask? What's wrong with the current one?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Rodick

Post by Rodick »

doofus-01 wrote:
Rodick wrote:Will we change main menu background from what we have to something ''better'' in 1.14 or any version?
Why do you ask? What's wrong with the current one?
I dont like it at all. It doesnt give me that mistery what this game can offer to me in campaign.
This 2 images i put are just sample what would really make that Wesnoth ''mistery of too many creatures''.
Logo on top or sides are damn awesome. So I just asked if there is plan to do something like this in future?
Attachments
puma_by_fel_x.jpg
9673_1_miscellaneous_digital_art.jpg
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

I love the first (upper) example! :D We would need a main menu theme with a completely different feel, though, if an image similar to this is implemented.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

While i admit the above pictures are quite nice, i see absolutely no reason to change the current main menu background. I find the map of the kingdom to be a stellar background which helps describe the geography of wesnoth. The images u showed are better off in story art. Having a map as the main background complements the whole strategy context and also adds professionalism to the game
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
taptap

Post by taptap »

It should not be hard to change the title screen on your local copy. Literally just two picture files to mess with, it is about as complicated as setting a new desktop background.
Spoiler:
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Rodick

Post by Rodick »

That looks awesome, for me it is better if we have something like that and map of wesnoth to be in campaigns. Simple.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Why not to add option to set own main menu background from wesnoth v1.14?

4 or more images from wesnoth developers site, and also option to set own image chosen by player and everyone wins.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

If this is getting serious:

The reason for the map on the table was a different aspect ratio of different screens.

There is however a terrific solution for art display on different screen sizes:

Instead of cropping I would like to fit in the smaller side and let the oversize meander slowly (left to right or up to down).

That would really give a nice feel almost like a movie or a tilting viewpoint. Should be easy to include for a skilled programmer.
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

I personally think that the best solution would be adding an option as ChaosRider mentioned, since we already can change the main theme.
There would be so many options now: 1.10 background, 1.12 background, 1.12 logo, 1.14 logo, 1.10 game theme, 1.12 game theme, and if Rodick's idea makes it into a new release then his new background as well (I prefer the current one, but if the menu bar and the logo would be placed so there wouldn't be such a big gap in the middle then it would be cool).
However, I don't like the idea of moving background, there aren't pictures that are big enough and it would be too vivid for the moderate game.

Oh, and why don't we use the current story arts in previews? My preferences (pictures that will be used in campaign The Rise of Wesnoth):
<link> <link> <link> <link> <link> <link> <link> <link>
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
Rodick

Post by Rodick »

WTrawi wrote:I personally think that the best solution would be adding an option as ChaosRider mentioned, since we already can change the main theme.
There would be so many options now: 1.10 background, 1.12 background, 1.12 logo, 1.14 logo, 1.10 game theme, 1.12 game theme, and if Rodick's idea makes it into a new release then his new background as well (I prefer the current one, but if the menu bar and the logo would be placed so there wouldn't be such a big gap in the middle then it would be cool).
However, I don't like the idea of moving background, there aren't pictures that are big enough and it would be too vivid for the moderate game.

Oh, and why don't we use the current story arts in previews? My preferences (pictures that will be used in campaign The Rise of Wesnoth):
<link> <link> <link> <link> <link> <link> <link> <link>
Those are damn great. If you ask me which one is better I wouldn't know what to say. So something in options that we can change wallpapers would be cool if lot of you like current one, pick that and others could choice some of that we have in campaigns.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Why would you need something in options, with dev time spent on it (menus, selection, buttons), when you can easily change it locally already? As an added benefit Wesnoth has not to bother w/ licenses that way and you can put in whatever you fancy.

(I concede it would be a good idea in principle, maybe even change the default background with each major release.)
Last edited by taptap on June 25th, 2017, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.