Ogre Battle Era (Add-on idea)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

skelegonsans

Ogre Battle Era (Add-on idea)

Post by skelegonsans »

I've been thinking of making an era based on that old SNES strategy-rpg game, Ogre Battle (which is very original and interesting game, btw). I think that making a Wesnoth-style Ogre Battle would be somewhat interesting (I'm sure that ppl that played will think the same!) and probably not very hard due to several similarities between the two games. I have already started making it, but It will take quite a while to finish since there are many new things I plan to change/add to the gameplay, things that will require LOTS of wml coding (I think...). In the meanwhile, I would like to hear what you think of the idea. :)
Papyrus: "SO, SANS, WHEN IS THE HUMAN COMING?? I WANNA LOOK MY SUNDAY BEST... OR AT LEAST MY TUESDAY PRETTY-GOOD."
Sans: "don't you only have one outfit?"
Papyrus: "YEAH, BUT I COULD STYLE MY HAIR!"
Big Undertale/FNaF fan, creator/mantainer of More Units addon.
The_Gnat

Re: Ogre Battle Era (Add-on idea)

Post by The_Gnat »

I have not played the SNES ogre battle however it sounds very interesting. I look forward to see how this scenario turns out! :D
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Ogre Battle is a very favorite game. The first piece is a game system quite different from Wesnoth, but the second piece seems to be easy to make because there are many similarities.
I think that you can find most of the necessary wml coding from the Wesnoth add - on that was made so far. It might be hard to combine it.
But it is not impossible. I am looking forward to the completion of the add-on.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

skelegonsans wrote:I've been thinking of making an era based on that old SNES strategy-rpg game, Ogre Battle (which is very original and interesting game, btw). I think that making a Wesnoth-style Ogre Battle would be somewhat interesting (I'm sure that ppl that played will think the same!) and probably not very hard due to several similarities between the two games. I have already started making it, but It will take quite a while to finish since there are many new things I plan to change/add to the gameplay, things that will require LOTS of wml coding (I think...). In the meanwhile, I would like to hear what you think of the idea. :)
I find this somewhat nostalgic.

My very first Wesnoth idea was an era or an RPG based in Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling together for SNES(related to Ogre Battle). However, back then I lacked the WML knowlwedge that would allow me to make future addons and eras, and the project died.

The only remnant of that project is my map "Valeria", which now can be found in my 18th Century Era Addon, of the island where that game story unfolds. :)

I believe with some creativity it would be possible to come out with some sort of WML to make something similar to OB.

Good luck with that era! I will gladly test it.
skelegonsans

Post by skelegonsans »

I just released an alpha. Please note that I will still add LOTS of stuff, but the alpha contains the ones I thought to be the most important. The era is fully playable, but is probably unbalanced and/or buggy. I'm gonna ask the moderators to create a feedback topic for OB era right now: leave any feedback there. Hope you enjoy the "demo"! :)
Papyrus: "SO, SANS, WHEN IS THE HUMAN COMING?? I WANNA LOOK MY SUNDAY BEST... OR AT LEAST MY TUESDAY PRETTY-GOOD."
PapaSmurfReloaded

I think it's pretty cool so far, maybe you could add the alignment of the unit to the unit type display name? (for example, Amazon (C), for chaotic)
skelegonsans

Post by skelegonsans »

It's a good idea, but I won't be able to update the add-on until I get my .pbl file back, cuz I lost everything after an issue with my PC, and I don't remember what's on the file so I can't make another. ._. I've been asking around if I can get it back somehow, but I didn't get an anwser so far.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

skelegonsans wrote:It's a good idea, but I won't be able to update the add-on until I get my .pbl file back, cuz I lost everything after an issue with my PC, and I don't remember what's on the file so I can't make another. ._. I've been asking around if I can get it back somehow, but I didn't get an anwser so far.
Just make a new add-on (ogre battle V2) and then ask the dev's to delete the old one. :)

(but the dev's really should be able to tell you what your add-on password was. All the passwords are stored on the server.)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The_Gnat wrote:(but the dev's really should be able to tell you what your add-on password was. All the passwords are stored on the server.)
Not anymore, since I-don’t-remember-when last year. But don’t worry, we’re (well, more precisely, I am) on the case.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

skelegonsans wrote:I've been asking around if I can get it back somehow, but I didn't get an anwser so far.
Shadowm wrote:But don’t worry, we’re (well, more precisely, I am) on the case.e case.
@skelegonsans - i am sure your problem will be solved soon, and then you can release another version :)
Not anymore, since I-don’t-remember-when last year.
(that's probably better, for security)
skelegonsans

Post by skelegonsans »

yep, it's solved and I'm finally back at my add-ons after all this time. But I guess I'll focus more on this one, as this is just an alpha and I still remember all the great plans I had for this one. I just hope I still have the wml skills to do everything... (so much time without playing or messing around with wml might have made me forget some things... xP)
Also I might need to review current codes for both my add-ons, since now I got wesnoth v1.13.8
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great, i look forward to new releases! :D
PapaSmurfReloaded

I made this in an afternoon of procrastination... given that it uses sprites of an old game I cannot publish it on the add-on server. :cry:
Attachments
ogre_battle_era_3.png
ogre_battle_era.png