[unit_type] -> halo missing from wikipage

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

[unit_type] -> halo missing from wikipage

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

I was experimenting with animated halos, and I noticed that the halo attribute is completely missing from unit_type description in the wiki.
As I tested, it can also take a comma separated list to make animated halos, and by the way:
Why aren't there animated halos in mainline units? I think f.e. Mage of Light could be a lot cooler if it's halo is not just a ring of light, but a ring of white light, with changing opacity, blurring, etc. No additional artwork is needed in my opinion, by using the image path function, very good animations could be done. (I don't know how to export to gif, so I guess I can't upload what I'm thinking about :( )

WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: [unit_type] -> halo missing from wikipage

Post by Pentarctagon »

If you see it missing and are familiar with how it works, it'd be great if you would add that information to the wiki :)

As for why it's not used for the Mage of Light and similar, it's probably either because nobody thought about doing it or thought it was worth doing, or because of the possible performance penalty. Animated water already can cause issues, so I'd imagine that a bunch of units with animated halos could also create a problem.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

OK, I've added it :) (I've quite forgotten that I had an account to the wikipages as well).

Hmm, maybe I'll experiment with it, and post anything that looks good to the Ideas forum.
As far as I recall, there is only the Mage of Light with a halo of light. (Or maybe there's some merman with it too?) Anyway, I think more than 10-12 units with halos are not likely to appear on a map, and so far 15-20 animated halo's don't seem to slow down the game, but I'll play around with this too.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Great, thanks! Also, if possible, testing for performance on 1.13 would be ideal, since that's where there seems to be a real performance problem in general.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

WhiteWolf wrote:As I tested, it can also take a comma separated list to make animated halos,
If I'm not mistaken, this is inaccurate. Rather than a comma-separated list, I'm pretty sure halo takes a progressive string as described on AnimationWML.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.