Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Bitron
Developer

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by Bitron »

Why does the hair colour change that rapidly from black to blonde?
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

The level 4 unit looks somewhat too tall. Units do get a bit taller on level-up, yes, but not that much so. I think it's largely the legs - they're almost too proportional to a human, which makes them disproportional for a Wesnoth sprite. I'd say the skirt itself looks nice, just shorten the legs so the skirt's going down to mid-shin or below the knees in general, instead of mid-thigh. Maybe condense the level 3 sun singer's too. Both of them could also do with having less of a neck - almost every unit in the game just has the head sitting directly on the shoulders so a neck makes it look really lanky.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Agreement on the level 4 unit seeming too tall. It's not just the legs, but also the neck and torso, I think- the entire torso, possibly due to the silhouette generated by the clothing, feels almost kind of inflated. It's got that footballer-like triangular composition where the shoulders are super broad and way wider than the hips, which makes the unit look slightly masculine in design.

As something of a sidenote, just a remark on the pixeling technique itself- there's a lot of orphaned pixels hanging around in your baseframes. It's most noticeable on the lv4, but there's a fair bit going on in the bottom upgrade line's lv3 as well- specks of white that really stand out against their relatively darker environment, or specks of black that stand out in a light environment. Because these pixels don't connect strongly enough to clusters of pixels around them, they seem 'orphaned'- like out-of-context outlier data points that we're not really sure how to integrate into the area. Like static noise on a tv, it's impossible to figure out what these pixels actually signify, so the viewer is forced to discard that information entirely.

I've taken the liberty of circling some examples of orphaned pixels in your sprites. Hopefully this is helpful to illustrate what I mean!
Attachments
orphans.PNG
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Kwandulin wrote:
beetlenaut wrote:I still greatly prefer black hair for these elves, but on the sun units, blond is appropriate. However, the fire should probably have its palette changed now so it conflicts less.
I am not quite sure what you mean with black hair. I obviously can't put r,g,b=0,0,0 pixels in there.

Black doesn't mean r,g,b=0,0,0. What you have there is basically already black hair. Sure, if you look at the individual pixels they might be a dark purple, but it gives the overall impression of black hair.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:it gives the overall impression of black hair.
Yep, it does now! It looks good.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

About the hair:
starting with grayish hair is great. I would assume the dark hair could get a little darker at higher levels. The blond hair could get whitish instead. The blond is made by orange for shades. I would desatured this orange for a more pale hair impression.

Personally I like the bigger sprites for level 4.

Maybe playing the skin tones a bit too? Sun equals darker skin?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Bitron wrote:Why does the hair colour change that rapidly from black to blonde?
The sprites generally look nice, but I found that odd too, and thought the level 2 blond looked a bit like another level 1. This is an idea I had, it could use more work, but I think you get the idea. Hair is redder and a bit wilder, as a transition to the fluffier blonde level 3, TC ribbons are a prelude to the wings on level 3.

Should the flames be on a separate layer (halo?), so that it could be animated more easily? Are the eyes glowing on the two final level units?
Attachments
QE-edit.png
QE-edit.png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Looks great! :D now the sun lvl2 looks just right
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Yes, thanks to take account on that. It looks much better that way, imo.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, guys. I worked on the sprite a bit more, but these elves aren't really my project, so I'll stop here. If it is useful, that's great. If not, then that's just how it is...
elf-edit.png
elf-edit.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
One (of many) project(s) that I neglected was finishing the princess animations. I think the sword attack was the most important, and these frames should work. I'm not too proud of them, but I still think they work OK when interspersed with the defense animation. The spoiler is the simple animation WML I used to test, it might need to be tweaked a bit. If it is changed, the delay before starting the slide-to-enemy is intentional.
Spoiler:
Attachments
princess_attack.tar.gz
(15.9 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
maksiu

Post by maksiu »

Hey, I noticed some things that are still good for correction:
1. I do not know whether only I think that legs 4lvl they look very bad, but they seem lopsided nad inverted mirror.
I compared her to the rider (lvl 1) and is less than two pixels away, and i compared her to the marshal (lvl 4) and she is higher than him! If the marshal is only 180cm, she has at least 190cm, and the women are smaller so it looks strange.
2. In addition, I noticed that the skin on the second promotion is different, it is strange to her to change the complexion during the promotion.
And I think that alternative promotion could have red hair to the end

Sorry if this topic has been raised before, i have not read most of the previous posts. And I sorry for my english
My addons - Phoenix Era
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Bluntly speaking the current lv 4 one looks like a transgender prost. :annoyed: Not a good piece of work. it needs a lot of adjustments to meet the quality standards. And the legs are definitely weird. I'd suggest a new sketch for the lv4 since this standing posture doesn't go well with their skin complexion plus the wings just make it gross looking. Nor does it have the powerful feel that a lv 4 unit is supposed to give off. Just my 2 cents. May sound harsh but that's what seems to be the issue in my eyes.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The flesh golem wasn't on the list, but it looks like a pretty old sprite that could be replaced. Would this be OK as a replacement? (If yes, I'll replace the other frames as well.)
Attachments
flesh-golem.png
flesh-golem.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Ehhh... it doesn't look like a flesh golem to me, honestly. I'd expect a flesh golem to have stitches and probably a less healthy complexion, for example. This is based on "conventional" flesh golems, mind you; I don't know if they relevant scenario contains lore that would contradict my expectations.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: I'd expect a flesh golem to have stitches and probably a less healthy complexion, for example. This is based on "conventional" flesh golems, mind you; I don't know if they relevant scenario contains lore that would contradict my expectations.
Maybe. I have no idea what a "conventional" flesh golem would be, or if it matters (I don't remember UtBS well enough). I just based this off the current sprite and the unit's .cfg file.