Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1)

Post by vultraz »

Again, why do you want to be able to set resolution while fullscreen?
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

vultraz wrote:Again, why do you want to be able to set resolution while fullscreen?
As far as I can tell, the problem is that the operating system incorrectly guesses the proper fullscreen resolution when using an HD or 4k monitor. They want to be able to override this guess to use the real proper fullscreen resolution.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Yes, the guess is incorrect. (Why is it a guess?)

And probably more important than the actual desktop setting is the proper ratio (16:9), because this funky ~1234x789 resolution that is currently auto-picked makes units and characters look like beep with the interpolation.
I have a cunning plan.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I don't know why it's a guess. Maybe it's not a guess. I think the general point of my statement got across, though?

Fixing this is as simple as changing one constant during SDL initialization and not disabling that dropdown in prefs while in fullscreen mode. In other words, it's really easy.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

We don't support high DPI displays right just now. I have a 4k display on Windows and it automatically scales everything up to keep it at a proper size. At fullscreen I get 1538x864 and everything looks fine. What OS are you on? It's possible it doesn't have the proper virtualization method for non-high-DPI compatible apps.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I don't know why it's a guess. Maybe it's not a guess. I think the general point of my statement got across, though?

Fixing this is as simple as changing one constant during SDL initialization and not disabling that dropdown in prefs while in fullscreen mode. In other words, it's really easy.
Your general statement got across, and I didn't mean to go against you or your statement. To me it seems like a guess, because it's anything but accurate. And I had a hunch that this option does not need to be disabled.
vultraz wrote:We don't support high DPI displays right just now. I have a 4k display on Windows and it automatically scales everything up to keep it at a proper size. At fullscreen I get 1538x864 and everything looks fine. What OS are you on? It's possible it doesn't have the proper virtualization method for non-high-DPI compatible apps.
I don't think my budget laptop with 1920x1080 is anything fancy, exotic or high-res like 4k. I'm still on Windows 8.1 as written before, which I don't consider to be exotic either. It's great that auto-scaling supposedly works for you, although that doesn't seem likely given what other people across several platforms write here and the linked code.

And actually, as BfW generations before, I expect BfW 1.14 to work out-of-the-box (/-net) for me, and whatever virtualization or DPI thingies you think BfW 1.14 should work with, I feel that my setup should be among it.
I have a cunning plan.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Is your resolution actually set to 1920x1080? The screen might be 1080p, but Windows might not be set to that resolution. Also, is there any other scaling going on? I don't recall if Windows has any other sort of zoom functionality, and the latest I used was Win 7 anyway.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

What Pentarctagon said. Obviously if Windows is not running at 1080p Wesnoth wouldn't be either.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Encountered strangeness: Cant perform any action ingame. Only menu buttons work. Cant select an unit, cant rightclick on a hex, hovering the mouse over an hex doesnt acquisition it at all. Mouse not interacting with main game window, somehow.
This on Win10 if it helps. Infact, im almost sure if tried on win7 would work so im baffled on what is missing on win10.

edit1: Managed to recruit an unit through dropdown Actions menu. Still cant select anything.
The texts in options menu got cutoff despite 1920x1080 resolution.

edit2: at 3. restart, everything magically functions as intended. :shock: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Eagle_11 on June 1st, 2017, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

nuorc wrote:...
Notebooks with full HD resolution tend to have a default ui scale of 125%, otherwise a 1920x1080p resolution appears pretty small on those tiny displays. I remember that wesnoth was the reason why I set scaling to 100%. Don't really remember why exactly, but it also was about resolution issues. Those settings can be found under settings -> display (Windows 10) and according to
this under win8.1 its control panel -> Appearence and Personalization -> Display. Hope that'll help.
Eagle_11 wrote:...
Did that happen right after the installation or did it work before? I use Windows 10 aswell and everything seems fine to me.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Bitron wrote:
Eagle_11 wrote:...
Did that happen right after the installation or did it work before? I use Windows 10 aswell and everything seems fine to me.
Right after the installation. Its working now.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

There is a weird error appearing in almost every loading screen after a clean install on a friends pc.

It says:
"Error
Error validating data core.

Details:
Core ID: default
The ID is already in use.
Skipping the core."

Any suggestions what that might be?
A reinstall of the game did not work so far.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Reporting another bug:

When you have an add-on installed and the dependency for that add-on also installed.

When you click on the add-on that you have installed it fails to change the font of the dependency name in the bottom right of the add-on manager.

Instead it says : <span color='#00ff00'>DEPENDENCY</span>
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

Will there be a new release soon? 1.13.8 is frequently crashing during the AI's turn (Mac 10.11.6). I think this is fixed bug 1792 since a unit close to leveling up is always involved.

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/1792

(I had no trouble with 1.13.7)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The current list of things that need to be fixed before 1.13.9 is released is here, so maybe in another few weeks?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code