Bitron's Art Thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
taptap

Re: Vilkai Art Thread

Post by taptap »

In some of them I really fail to see the difference (L2 shaman). Having tc on the non-fur side of fur cloaks, but only between the legs not elsewhere where the cloak is seen looks weird to me. The revealing female L3-leg so typical to all wesnoth female magic users looks odd too, especially in comparison to the L1 and L2 units. And isn't her cold? Though, I guess this is fully intentional, so please don't mind the last part. Maybe having the L2 more in between the two extremes would look good, say a more wavy garment on her. (They are really getting better and better in each iteration.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice the new sprites look really good! :D The added detail makes them much better.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

There will be some major changes to the units and along with them of curse changes to some of the sprites.

Deer Rider will carry a Bow instead of the swords:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Watch will now fight with swords instead of the spear:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

The Ghost Warrior branch will be a seperate unit line now.

ImageImageImage

Shamans will get another branch, but instead of a magical melee, it will be focused on healing.

old:
ImageImageImage
---------------ImageImage
new:
ImageImageImage
---------------ImageImage

In this case, they are more a placeholder until I came up with a good design idea. atm I have my finals so there is not that much time for detailed work.

two more things:
1. The Herbalist line will be removed from the multiplayer faction, but probably still be featured in at least one upcoming campaign.
2. The Warrior line will fight with spears now instead of swords. Since that requires totally new sprites, it will take some time to finish them.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

The rider's bow is very hard to read. I suggest you change the colour of his pants to Magenta
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Mnh, still quite hard to read..

ImageImage
ImageImage

And here are the first warrior sprites, now with spears.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Generally they all look pretty good, I've just noticed some issues:
-the harness of the higher level rider (on the deer head) is red, where it should propably be TC
-In some graphics, especially on the deer rider feet you use pillowshading

I think the brown bow worked better than the new one. You could add a dark outline around the bow to make it stand out more (aber keine geschlossene linie)
If you want I can try and edit the rider, as it is easier to show than tell.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

I had to google "pillowshading" up. Now I know and yes I really have a hard time on shading the right way. ^^
Please feel free to edit them, every help is welcome!
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I've made some changes to the rider and lvl2 warrior. Obiously you can undo any edits you don't like or change them further.
rider.png
rider.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
-changed bow colour and added small outline
-redrew shoe and leg
-small changes to shirt and deer
spearman.png
spearman.png (4.11 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
-new spearhead without pillowshading
-changes on shoes, legs and arm

You already do a good job avoiding pillowshading in most cases. Only a few surfaces remaining.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Here is the new Warrior Line. Not perfect but a beginning.

Warrior -> Chieftain -> Brave Wolf
----------> Spearman -> Guardian
ImageImageImage
--------------ImageImage
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Someone in on the Wesnothian facebook page noticed that it is a bit odd that the "brave wolf" is not the one with the wolf head. I updated the sprite concidering this. here is the new one.

ImageImage

Speaking of the wesnothian page, I was pretty suprised to see some of my vilkai there. Thank you.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

A bit of critique: Chieftain/Brave Wolf have sword/spear as attacks, but only spear in the unit images. Also, I think the new Brave Wolf sprite should be flipped horizontally, or have his head face southeast, considering that it's the norm for units' images to be facing southeast by default. here's how the image looks like when flipped:
brave-wolf.png
brave-wolf.png (5.89 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
By the way, I think that the Spearman/Guardian could use more fanciness, in my opinion. Maybe give them a shield? not sure.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

ForestDragon wrote:A bit of critique: Chieftain/Brave Wolf have sword/spear as attacks, but only spear in the unit images.
You are right, I have thought of that too. A drawn sword would be simpler to add IMO, but a sword hanging on his hips would be my favourite.
ForestDragon wrote:Also, I think the new Brave Wolf sprite should be flipped horizontally, or have his head face southeast, considering that it's the norm for units' images to be facing southeast by default.
Is that obligatory to have them face southeast? I thought it is kinda cool having them that way. It's kind of like he dont even have to look at his opponents do defeat them. ^^ But of course I can flip the sprite.
ForestDragon wrote:By the way, I think that the Spearman/Guardian could use more fanciness, in my opinion. Maybe give them a shield? not sure.
In that case, background story comes to play. The vilkish people aren't really militaric. Their prey is all natural since they don't have much to do with elves, humans, dwarves or orcs. At least not yet.
I chose the spear over the sword because I think it would most likely be the weapon of favour against wild animals like bears and stuff. Thus, their "main" warriors are acutally hunters of wild animals. The style should be simple because they don't want to carry much weight, beeing fast and versatile. The Guardian does not fit quite well, I am aware of that, but it is what I got for the moment. ^^
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

It might be to hard to read but what about something like this?
here with a green background:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I haven't visited this topic for a while but wow! 8) Awesome work i love the new sprites especially the unit with the wolf mask! :D
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Bitron wrote:Is that obligatory to have them face southeast? I thought it is kinda cool having them that way. It's kind of like he dont even have to look at his opponents do defeat them. ^^ But of course I can flip the sprite.
Well, it kind of is obligatory, since having a unit with a southwest-facing image is almost guaranteed to confuse players, especially new ones.
Bitron wrote:It might be to hard to read but what about something like this?
Looks good, and in my opinion, it doesn't lose any amount of coolness after being flipped.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic