I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CalculusKing

I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Post by CalculusKing »

This is my first forum post - been a lurker for a while now. Using an extreme Father Morvin / Sister Thera resurrection cheese, I was able to kill Rakshas in "An Old Friend." This is on nightmare difficulty. I am aware that this has been done before on hard, but not to my knowledge has anyone done this on nightmare (and the last replay I can find is years old anyway), so I figured I would post it here. Given that this scenario on nightmare is basically just watching red paint dry all over the battlefield as your troops and the enemy slaughter one another, this seems like a good way to have some fun nevertheless.

Edit: attached replay
Attachments
NR-Old_Friend_replay.gz
(116.12 KiB) Downloaded 835 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Post by Inky »

That's awesome, nice job!

It's always interesting to see that no matter how impossible the author tries to make a scenario, Wesnoth players will always manage to find some way around it. :D
semper

Post by semper »

Hi CalculusKing,

I watched your replay. I am curious, is my copy of your replay corrupt, or did the AI in your mission mainly recruit level 1 archers (on nightmare mode nonetheless?) and did you recruit a ton of level 1 archers as well?

Watching your game, I am seeing a bloodbath of level 1 archers... this is a very different experience than I had when I played the mission (where most of the AI units were level 2 and 3).

Well done, still, in any case!

Edit: Also, unless it is my cope of your replay which is corrupt, you posted the wrong replay because the AI isn't defeated. Could you describe what you did, if you remember?
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

When I played that campaign I avoided any of this couple to get killed so I began to know about their immortality relatively late. And even after that I avoided them being killed because I found this ressurection feature illogical, ridiculous and unfair.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
semper

Post by semper »

It adds some humor and takes strategy to adapt to their 'immortality', Aldarisvet.

Also, their immortality is helpful but not enough to make the missions give-aways, due to the difficulty of the missions. I find, even with the couple being immortal, it is still easy to loose your other units-- units you need in order to complete the missions.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Yeah. Protecting Camerin is the hardest, since i am always tempted to blow stuff up with great mages
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Aldarisvet wrote:When I played that campaign I avoided any of this couple to get killed so I began to know about their immortality relatively late. And even after that I avoided them being killed because I found this ressurection feature illogical, ridiculous and unfair.
I also avoided getting them killed, so I didn't learn that they were immortal until I saw someone talking about it on the forum. That was on challenging though. It would be really hard to win on nightmare without liberally using their trick. The levels are balanced with immortal magi in mind. (Although "balanced" is kind of a strong word for NR.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
semper

Post by semper »

beetlenaut wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:When I played that campaign I avoided any of this couple to get killed so I began to know about their immortality relatively late. And even after that I avoided them being killed because I found this ressurection feature illogical, ridiculous and unfair.
I also avoided getting them killed, so I didn't learn that they were immortal until I saw someone talking about it on the forum. That was on challenging though. It would be really hard to win on nightmare without liberally using their trick. The levels are balanced with immortal magi in mind. (Although "balanced" is kind of a strong word for NR.)
:lol: It was a fun campaign! The best map was Infested Caves.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Wow, nice, I tried to finish this campaign on nightmare but I can't get past that orcish fortress, even like 10000 gold killed of orcs doesn't help, the orc horde is just endless lol, the mages resurrection cheese doesn't help that much either, i can't get them close enough to the orc castle to try to kill leaders, maybe finishing that scenario on nightmare is possible but certainly it would require much more tries to do that.

Also about that Rakshas scenario - I had so much fun with that, I had like 10000 gold and I just kept spamming footpads and other cheap units just to get them as fast into combat and as many of them as possible, the gold is not caried to the next scenario so why not try to have fun and do that? It is a nice feeling when you actually can outspam ai on nightmare diff lol
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

ElderofZion wrote:Also about that Rakshas scenario - I had so much fun with that, I had like 10000 gold and I just kept spamming footpads and other cheap units just to get them as fast into combat and as many of them as possible, the gold is not caried to the next scenario so why not try to have fun and do that? It is a nice feeling when you actually can outspam ai on nightmare diff lol
I think this might be the reason you have problems later. The gold is not actually lost, you can get most of it back (that is what the story is about), and then you (and your allies) can use it in the final battle.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

pauxlo wrote:
ElderofZion wrote:Also about that Rakshas scenario - I had so much fun with that, I had like 10000 gold and I just kept spamming footpads and other cheap units just to get them as fast into combat and as many of them as possible, the gold is not caried to the next scenario so why not try to have fun and do that? It is a nice feeling when you actually can outspam ai on nightmare diff lol
I think this might be the reason you have problems later. The gold is not actually lost, you can get most of it back (that is what the story is about), and then you (and your allies) can use it in the final battle.
Well, maybe but in the final final battle it doesn't matter, since that one is easy anyway. Btw I finished it already
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Inky wrote:That's awesome, nice job!

It's always interesting to see that no matter how impossible the author tries to make a scenario, Wesnoth players will always manage to find some way around it. :D

Due to the way RNG works, their's really no such thing as an unwinnable battle in this game, short of a time limit to achieve something that is literally impossible to beat.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

The Great Rings wrote:
Inky wrote:That's awesome, nice job!

Due to the way RNG works, their's really no such thing as an unwinnable battle in this game, short of a time limit to achieve something that is literally impossible to beat.
Only if you have immortal units and a lot of luck xD
urdithane

Post by urdithane »

I tried this strategy, with the immortal wizards, but I just succeed to reach to Rakshas at turn 18 so I had not enough time to kill him.

Could you tell us what is coming after you kill the boss ?
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Gratulate Calcucus :D You are champion
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"