Napoleon project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TorMac

Re: Napoleon project

Post by TorMac »

Posting a new update. A little bit raw and unrevised.

Changes:
  • Change some vulnerabilities to make light cavalry and infantry less overpowered
  • Waterloo scenario somewhat revamped. Dutch and German units in Wellington's army.
  • Most units now have a race (nationality) with access to different traits. This opened up a whole nationality based "tech-tree" that I'm slowly working on. Most units will have unique names for the unit using the same slot (Chasseur, Cazador, Jäger, Light Infantry,Yeger) and only some nations can advance them to the next tier.
  • Some more adjustments here and there. As usual, thanks to ForestDragon for catching several holes and bugs.
Working on:
  • An Era (the nationality thing opened up many possibilities, including different uniforms)
  • Music. Takes time, though.
  • Optimizing the code, especially for the Russia scenario that runs slow once the winter "flood" starts running.
  • Some more NPCs. For example, if you defeat the main Ottoman boss in the Egypt scenario, you get a Guard Mameluke called "Roustam Raza" whose interactions are based on the historical bodyguard of Napoleon's.
Some questions for anyone who has played through:
1. What was the most/least fun scenario?
2. Did you find yourself moving too many units across a huge map (especially worried about 04 Ulm,06 Spain and 07 Bavaria)?
3. Did you find the texts too long?

Thanks for any feedback regarding the gameplay. Looking forward to it.
Take command of Napoleon's armies in an 11 scenario historical campaign with the Napoleonic Warfare for Battle for Wesnoth project.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

small bit of feedback:
-the 'Nice' label in Northern Italy is on 1,17, while it should be 2,16, in order for it to be on the keep.
-you should change enemy 'General de Division' leaders, to their nation-specific counterparts.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

This looks extremely promising. I'll check this out and give you my feedback! It's very cool to see a historical addon!
Btw are there any Polish units? Poles were the most devoted Napoleon's allies. 100.000 Polish soldiers went with him to Russia, that's some serious force within the Great Army.

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/polish_army_2.htm

So TorMac, even if you don't really care, you can easily gain fans among Poles like me if you'll add some Polish units!
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Sagez wrote: So TorMac, even if you don't really care, you can easily gain fans among Poles like me if you'll add some Polish units!
Actually, I am a big admirer of Polish people. :) Centuries of defiance and rebellion. All lancers and Uhlans are by default Polish. In scenario 5, some interesting things happen in Poland (I was uncomfortable using the Prussian names for Polish cities, but check out what happens when you liberate them).
Take command of Napoleon's armies in an 11 scenario historical campaign with the Napoleonic Warfare for Battle for Wesnoth project.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Hi,

I'm doing the Spain senarion right now, and I got a crash : upgrading a French Hussard is causing it, probably because the Horse Carabinier doesn't exist (I think so, I didn't spend a long time on the error message).

Beside that, I like your work very much. It's both instructive and fun.

Ah, something else : in Spain, the British general went to my troops alone. His units were behind him. I just had to change him to make all of them despawn, I'm sure, it wasn't intended...
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

nenau wrote:Hi,

I'm doing the Spain senarion right now, and I got a crash : upgrading a French Hussard is causing it, probably because the Horse Carabinier doesn't exist (I think so, I didn't spend a long time on the error message).
Uploading a version with that fix and a few other bugs. I'll work on making the English general have less of a deathwish. Thanks for your comments.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Seems that your main is corrupt somehow : the game doesn't want to load my save because it claims that NW_Colonel is unknown, and doesn't want to start a new campaign because NW_Tutorial is unknown...
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

nenau wrote:Seems that your main is corrupt somehow : the game doesn't want to load my save because it claims that NW_Colonel is unknown, and doesn't want to start a new campaign because NW_Tutorial is unknown...
My bad. Fixed and re-upped. :oops:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

bugreport: scenario 5 doesn't load, saying 'Unknown unit: NW_German_Brigadier' (if i am not mistaken)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
nenau

Post by nenau »

The nation-dependant variants of the heavy and guard dragoon don't exist. This causes a bug as a dragoon is promoted.
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

nenau wrote:The nation-dependant variants of the heavy and guard dragoon don't exist. This causes a bug as a dragoon is promoted.
I can't find anything that would make it crash, but the nation does change in strange ways while I implement the advanced versions. Some nations will not have certain units. That will make the era more interesting.

Sorry, was in a hurry to put out another version and did not check it as thoroughly for bugs as I should have.
Burgundian

Post by Burgundian »

ForestDragon wrote:bugreport: scenario 5 doesn't load, saying 'Unknown unit: NW_German_Brigadier' (if i am not mistaken)
I confirm the bug, got the same problem. If you tell us how to fix it quickly, I can go to the files and edit them with a text app.

———
Besides, the campaign is great ! Now that Wesnoth has the technical bases, we could expand to various universes, not just Heroic Fantasy, monsters, etc... So, lots of historical stuff, why not Sci-Fi too ? That reminds me of a Star Wars version of Age of Empires a good 15 years ago.

However, the extension list should be improved to better find a scenario, with universe categories (and also not to have to reload once you downloaded a scenario...).
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Burgundian wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:bugreport: scenario 5 doesn't load, saying 'Unknown unit: NW_German_Brigadier' (if i am not mistaken)
I confirm the bug, got the same problem. If you tell us how to fix it quickly, I can go to the files and edit them with a text app.
The bug should be corrected in the most recent upload; in case it isn't, go to

...Napoleonic_Wars/scenarios/NW_05_Prussia.cfg

Line 165 should read

Code: Select all

type=NW_Austrian_Brigadier
I agree. Wesnoth is a great, flexible, free engine for TBS games. I can't wait to see what other universes we can come up with.
Burgundian

Post by Burgundian »

I still have a problem with it, I do have "NW_Austrian_Brigadier" on line 165, but actually it's not German Brigadier as TorMac said, but German Colonel.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

@TorMac when can we expect your Era? I'd love to play it.

To all: TorMac's Napoleon campaing is amazing, check it out! After the next big update I'll play it again for sure... it's one of my favourite campaings now.
We need more history in Wesnoth, period.
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline